The Student Room Group

Can I get into university for Optometry?

Hi guys
I have no level 3 qualifications however I am looking to do an apprenticeship as an optical assistant, I am wondering if I apply for a foundation year once the apprenticeship is complete would I be able to get on to the course because I know Universitys do accept work experience if it is relevant im still not sure if this would be considered relevant or not.
Reply 1
Original post by amaniia
Hi guys
I have no level 3 qualifications however I am looking to do an apprenticeship as an optical assistant, I am wondering if I apply for a foundation year once the apprenticeship is complete would I be able to get on to the course because I know Universitys do accept work experience if it is relevant im still not sure if this would be considered relevant or not.

Hey, I believe that the apprenticeship is relevant and should aid your application. Although saying this you may find it hard to apply directly onto the Optom course with no level 3 qualifications. I suggest perhaps looking into an "access course" that some Universities accept (you'd have to check this). Alternatively you could always do an Ophthalmic Dispensing degree to accredit you as a dispensing optician, and if you were dead set on becoming an ophthalmic optician (optometrist) you could do a 1 year conversion course at Bradford to convert your qualification. Hope that helped :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest