The Student Room Group

Engineering courses at Manchester university

I have been comparing Engineering courses at Manchester to other universities, and the thing I have noticed that Manchester always has the biggest number of subjects per year ( normally 12). Isn't it too much and hard to manage? Considering the fact that, some universities that even outranked Manchester in specific courses such as Leeds in chemical engineering has only 6 subjects per year !!
(edited 6 years ago)
It is quite a lot, but looking at their mech course for years 1 and 2 the topics have been split up compared to what other universities would do e.g. most would have thermodynamics and fluid mechanics in one module, same for structures and mechanics, the two maths modules. So it's more like 8 modules in year 1 which is a little high but fairly standard. Years 2 and 3 are again a little high but still not completely abnormal, then year 4 drops back down to 7 modules as you study things more in depth (and looking at the modules at manc I'd guess you have a bit of catching up to do compared to other unis as core/foundation subjects are studied for longer which is going to displace some other classes.). The individual and Group projects also carry a lower credit weighting than normal so that will bump up your class numbers as your projects will be less intensive than at other unis.
Reply 2
Original post by Helloworld_95
It is quite a lot, but looking at their mech course for years 1 and 2 the topics have been split up compared to what other universities would do e.g. most would have thermodynamics and fluid mechanics in one module, same for structures and mechanics, the two maths modules. So it's more like 8 modules in year 1 which is a little high but fairly standard. Years 2 and 3 are again a little high but still not completely abnormal, then year 4 drops back down to 7 modules as you study things more in depth (and looking at the modules at manc I'd guess you have a bit of catching up to do compared to other unis as core/foundation subjects are studied for longer which is going to displace some other classes.). The individual and Group projects also carry a lower credit weighting than normal so that will bump up your class numbers as your projects will be less intensive than at other unis.

Cheers mate, that was quite helpful

Quick Reply

Latest