The Student Room Group

Engineering

I'm a Year 12 student living in the North West of England looking to apply to engineering at uni. My school requires me to find work experience but it seems there isn't many engineering companies in my area (Manchester). I've been searching but I can't seem to find any. Could anyone give me any advice or links to help with this or if you also live in the area of Manchester any companies that are engineering based.

Thanks
Original post by Sa1564
I'm a Year 12 student living in the North West of England looking to apply to engineering at uni. My school requires me to find work experience but it seems there isn't many engineering companies in my area (Manchester). I've been searching but I can't seem to find any. Could anyone give me any advice or links to help with this or if you also live in the area of Manchester any companies that are engineering based.

Thanks

You don't need work experience to apply to engineering.

It might be helpful for your own sake to find e.g. shadowing opportunities or similar to understand what engineers do in their day to day work and gauge whether that's something you might want to do longer term, but it's not essential.

If your school requires you to do work experience in general look for something practical that will help you get a part time/casual job during uni.
Reply 2
Original post by Sa1564

Thanks

maybe you could try like mechanics and shops like b and q. idk im just guessing here but they might be helpful
Reply 3
As above, Uni do not expect you to have relevant work-experience for a subject like Engineering - and any sort of experience where you have to 'talk to people you don't know' is useful preparation for Uni.

Here is one suggestion - Work experience - Manchester Museum and the Uni of Manchester also has helpful advice about the Work Finder app etc - Work experience placements at The University of Manchester
Original post by Sa1564

Thanks

Hi @Sa1564,

How are you? It's great to see that you are thinking of studying engineering at university. Which branch of engineering are you looking to get into? Here at UCLan we offer various engineering courses which you can learn more about here. It might also be useful for you to have a little look at the entry requirements for each course.

If you have any questions about any of our courses or life here as a student please feel free to ask 😊

Best wishes,
Sarah

Quick Reply

Latest