The Student Room Group

Living by yourself Vs Living with parents - University

For you uni people. For those living at home with parents in the city of your university, would you have preferred to live by yourself. Do you feel restricted due to parents? Likes and dislikes? And for those living by themselves but away from their home city. Would you have preferred to live with parents or gone to the uni in your home city? Likes and dislikes? Gonna use answers to decide what top university to go to.
Original post by Throwaway740
For you uni people. For those living at home with parents in the city of your university, would you have preferred to live by yourself. Do you feel restricted due to parents? Likes and dislikes? And for those living by themselves but away from their home city. Would you have preferred to live with parents or gone to the uni in your home city? Likes and dislikes? Gonna use answers to decide what top university to go to.

It depends on a lot of factors, closeness of home, quality, relationship with parents personality and money.

For some it suits them to live at home because they get very very homesick or they have a bad experience making friends or they dont have much money.

I think the full uni experience is living away and being independent plus its easier/ more normal to make friends than living at home. You have to balance that against the previous reasons, then decide based on your personal circumstances.

If you are going to try it at all then do it in your first year.
The money I've saved is so worth it. Plus my family are always out/working/school etc so it's basically like living on my own anyway. I've done both and kept coming home from uni because I was only in for 3 days a week, so it just seemed pointless for me to be spending all that money on rent.

But I'd definitely say move out if you can, it gets lonely but it'll help you become more independent.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending