The Student Room Group

GP shadowing

I'm currently an a-level student in year 12 hoping to study medicine at university. I'd like to get work experience at a gp and was wondering if I could directly ask the gp if i could shadow him as I have an appointment with them. Would this be appropriate? I've already sent in my cv to the reception but they have not replied so I don't know what else to do. I appreciate any helpful suggestions. Thanks
You need to contact the HR manager

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I'd say there's no harm in asking your GP. He'll probably tell you to "contact the HR manager" or he might not :wink:
Depends how well you know your GP. They are probably likely to move you to HR. How long since you sent in your app? You should give them 2 weeks to reply.
Reply 4
Original post by Ella248
I'm currently an a-level student in year 12 hoping to study medicine at university. I'd like to get work experience at a gp and was wondering if I could directly ask the gp if i could shadow him as I have an appointment with them. Would this be appropriate? I've already sent in my cv to the reception but they have not replied so I don't know what else to do. I appreciate any helpful suggestions. Thanks

From what I gather, you want to do work experience at your own GP surgery?

It's generally not advised to shadow in a surgery where you are registered or one that is close to home. Your GP may be able to ask colleagues though.
Reply 5
Original post by 999tigger
Depends how well you know your GP. They are probably likely to move you to HR. How long since you sent in your app? You should give them 2 weeks to reply.

it's definitely been longer than two weeks…
Reply 6
Original post by Angury
From what I gather, you want to do work experience at your own GP surgery?

It's generally not advised to shadow in a surgery where you are registered or one that is close to home. Your GP may be able to ask colleagues though.

Yeah I've heard this before but I thought I might as well give it a go considering it's close by. Doesn't look as though they'll give me experience.
Original post by Ella248
it's definitely been longer than two weeks…

The correct method would be to o through HR although you can ask your P, but that puts them on the spot and they will put you to KR. If you got on well with the GP i.e good friends then they might make allowances or chase it up for you.
I think it's generally not advised to do work experience in your own surgery and esp not with your own doctor, so perhaps look at contacting other nearby surgeries instead?
I think phoning up the surgery or going through HR would be the correct way of asking about work experience, GPs are on a tight time schedule and you appt is really only to discuss your health
I've heard many people find it a struggle to get work experience in the NHS as contact isn't always frequent or thorough but I advise to just keep on persevering, it took many of my friends a while but they've got there eventually
You won't be allowed to shadow at the practice you are registered at.

My advice would be to send letters out to the practice managers at surgeries in your local but not immediate area.
Reply 10
How useful is shadowing if you are already in medical school ??
Original post by Sagida

Not at all - that's that clinical years are for.
Reply 12
Original post by Sagida

To be fair I organised some shadowing experience during my holidays in a speciality I was interested in but wasn't offered by my medical school as a placement, and am doing something similar in three weeks time.

Depends on your reason and what you want to get out of it.
Very few GPs do this, definitely not the practice you are registered with. There is too much confidential stuff to have a school student who may or may not study medicine sitting in on surgeries.
I'd happily discuss the life of a GP with school students and show them round the practice but I wouldn't let them near my patients.
Agree that phoning the practice manager will give you a quick answer.
Reply 15
Sure why not? Even if you can't end up doing work experience at your surgery/with your GP, it can't hurt to ask you GP for advice :-)

Alex, 4th year UCL medic
6med
They shouldn't allow it, because any of the patients that walk in have a high chance of being someone you know or someone you may bump into often eg. local pharmacy/supermarket/bank/chippy staff and you know confiential information about them and your not even in med school. So, usually they'll just say no. But try out GPs elsewhere. It would be helpful if you have a friend whos parents are a GP/Dr if that is possible.
Original post by taysidefrog
I'd happily discuss the life of a GP with school students and show them round the practice.

I think this is hugely under-utilised resource. Very few doctors are likely to decline meeting with potential medical school applicants.

I would be impressed by an applicant who couldn't arrange shadowing but took the time to meet with a GP about their role and could talk intelligently about the conversation they had.
I found my GP experience useless. Hardly any patients agreed to me being present in the room except the smelly ones and in the I got to do reception and photocopying.
GPs just haven't got the time. I found hospital shadowing and hospice work easier to get.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending