The Student Room Group

placement is ****, what do i do?

I'm studying the physician associate course and I'm really not learning much from my placement.
My supervisor is not good and I haven't seen him in ages, the nurses tell you to your face that they don't want you there and they only let you do one session with them for blood and sign you off then don't let you do it again. Also the ANP's tell you to leave the room when you examine patients, but when I shadowed another PA, before i started this course she used to ask the patients if i could stay, even for rectal exams and mostly they would all say yes. They just assume the patients don't want you there and ask you to leave without asking them.

There are hardly any GP's to shadow

Others love there placement, they have nurses who tell them that they are more then welcome to come do bloods when they like, a really supportive supervisor who stays in the room with them when they see patients when they take history's from patients and gives them feedback

I think its too late to change as well, because the lecturers were saying that they had trouble finding placements in the first place. What do i do?
Original post by Kdog21
I'm studying the physician associate course and I'm really not learning much from my placement.
My supervisor is not good and I haven't seen him in ages, the nurses tell you to your face that they don't want you there and they only let you do one session with them for blood and sign you off then don't let you do it again. Also the ANP's tell you to leave the room when you examine patients, but when I shadowed another PA, before i started this course she used to ask the patients if i could stay, even for rectal exams and mostly they would all say yes. They just assume the patients don't want you there and ask you to leave without asking them.

There are hardly any GP's to shadow

Others love there placement, they have nurses who tell them that they are more then welcome to come do bloods when they like, a really supportive supervisor who stays in the room with them when they see patients when they take history's from patients and gives them feedback

I think its too late to change as well, because the lecturers were saying that they had trouble finding placements in the first place. What do i do?

Contact your lecturers/placement organisers/personal tutor to get their advice. If they can't help you finding a new placement maybe they can give suggestions about how to make it work. it might be too late to change but you never know.

You say there are hardly any GPs to shadow but that means there are some so just stick with that. Keep doing it.

If staff arent letting you do stuff maybe try to build a rapport first. Ask how to be helpful. Ask them what they need/want for you. Try to stock stations up for them, clean for them etc. They might be more likely to let you help if you help them!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending