The Student Room Group

TSR's General Election All Nighter thread 2017 - Tory/DUP informal coalition

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JMR2017
Tories do not have a majority, they are about 7-8 short, so they need the help of another party to pass laws.

Why are you required to have 326 seats or whatever it is to form a majority government ?

Surely Tories 318 beat Labours 261 seats, that's enough to win right ?
Original post by JMR2017
I hope the Queen does not give her permission to form a government, that would make my day!

Followed by an 'off with her head' would be good

Jk

But I wish Queeny does deny but it's doubtful.
Original post by JMR2017
If she had shut herself in her home for the whole election, Conservatives would probably have won.

And not produced a manifesto.

She would've.

She's an idiot.
Original post by karl pilkington
They won't hold another election it will be too unpopular and a waste of money they will probably get rid of May.

But quite frankly, they will be deadlock in Westminster, so it might be the only option.
Original post by physicsamor
Followed by an 'off with her head' would be good

Jk

But I wish Queeny does deny but it's doubtful.

Be honest, you have no idea why May is meeting the queen right now.
Original post by uer23
Why are you required to have 326 seats or whatever it is to form a majority government ?

Surely Tories 318 beat Labours 261 seats, that's enough to win right ?

No, 650 seats in total, so 326 is half plus one needed for majority, therefore Tories cannot pass laws on their own, because you need a majority in parliament to pass laws, therefore they need a deal with other parties.
Original post by karl pilkington
No we just need to maintain good relations with America

Why?
Original post by Hugh_Jass
So many Labour voters on here clearly have next-to-no understanding of politics.

People asking "What's a hung Parliament?"

"Can Labour still win?"

Makes you wonder whether they voted Corbyn just because he's 'cool and trendy'. Another reason why voting age shouldn't be dropped to 16.

May has had a dreadful campaign. She needs to go.

Glad I spoilt my ballot.

To be fair not all people have political analysts, and the system/terminology, e.g 'hung parliament' is quite confusing to those who are unfamiliar with politics.
Reply 1788
Original post by uer23
Can someone explain to me what it means to have a hung parliament ? I don't quite get it.

Technically the Tories do have the majority of seats in the house of commons.

There are 650 parliament seats. To have a majority, a party needs 326 in theory. But Sinn Féin will not sit in Westminster so in reality the Tories can secure a majority vote if they control 322 seats. Currently they have 318, so they're 4 short. The DUP are likely the only other party that would be willing to make up that shortfall.
Original post by JMR2017
To be fair not all people have political analysts, and the system/terminology, e.g 'hung parliament' is quite confusing to those who are unfamiliar with politics.

Well it's something you can easily Google.

May is incompetent, but I'm seriously glad Comrade Corbyn isn't leading this country - ****ing glad.
Be honest, you have no idea why May is meeting the queen right now.

She needs permission from the queen to do her coalition no? Enlighten me then :smile:
Original post by yudothis
Why?

You can't seriously be questioning why...
Original post by Snufkin
@the bear How are you coping?

my conscience is clear. i did not vote for the communist spendthrifts :h:
Hope Farage will consider joining Tories.
You can't seriously be questioning why...

I am.

Why are you advocating licking Trump's ego?
It sounds as if Theresa May is going to the palace without an agreement in place with the DUP.

Tories are relying on pretence and the establishment pseudo-constitution to continue in office and ensure harsher and harsher austerity policies.
Original post by the bear

Once again, Labour are not communists.
Original post by the bear

http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2016/03/13/the-conservatives-have-been-the-biggest-borrowers-over-the-last-70-years/

Labour has always run a better budget than Tories.

Tories have increased debt far more, and Labour have reduced it far more. Your statement could not be further from the truth.
Why I think Conservatives lost:

Motivation of Corbyn fans to vote

Higher young turnout (university fees)

Lack of motivation for older voters (winter fuel etc.)

Tactical voting against Tories

Original post by yudothis
http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2016/03/13/the-conservatives-have-been-the-biggest-borrowers-over-the-last-70-years/

Labour has always run a better budget than Tories.

Tories have increased debt far more, and Labour have reduced it far more. Your statement could not be further from the truth.

Yep.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending