The Student Room Group

I'm going to fail my English A-level

So I really don't know what to do, any advice would be really helpful. I don't know if i should take my english literature exam, I already have my desired place at University (unconditional) and I am predicted high grades for my other two A-level subjects and have an As in Religious studies plus good UCAS points. I've been failing english throughout sixth-form and never wanted to do it. I feel as though if I do take the exam I wont even manage a pass grade and will be stuck with a U on my results form for the rest of my life, which I REALLY don't want. Due to my mock papers, I already know I'm going to fail, so should I just not take the exam at all????

Thanks for the replies, I guess it'll cause more hassle to not turn up so I'm just going to sit it and do what I can. Thanks guys!!:smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Muffled22
So I really don't know what to do, any advice would be really grateful. I don't know if i should take my english literature exam, I already have my desired place at University (unconditional) and I am predicted high grades for my other two A-level subjects and have an As in Religious studies plus good UCAS points. I've been failing english throughout sixth-form and never wanted to do it. I feel as though if I do take the exam I wont even manage a pass grade and will be stuck with a U on my results form for the rest of my life, which I REALLY don't want. Due to my mock papers, I already know I'm going to fail, so should I just not turn up for the exam at all????

If you declared that you were sitting the English exam, you'd have to inform the uni where you hold the unconditional that you were no longer taking it - it's a material change to your application. Don't just assume you can ditch it 'because you have an unconditional'.
Reply 2
Original post by Reality Check
If you declared that you were sitting the English exam, you'd have to inform the uni where you hold the unconditional that you were no longer taking it - it's a material change to your application. Don't just assume you can ditch it 'because you have an unconditional'.

I wasn't aware of that, thank you. I'm definitely not seeing my unconditional as a reason not to work hard in my other A-levels by the way! I'm just not great at English.
I wasn't aware of that, thank you. I'm definitely not seeing my unconditional as a reason not to work hard in my other A-levels by the way! I'm just not great at English.

You're welcome. It probably won't make a difference to your unconditional offer, but you do need to inform them of it just to make sure :smile:
I am not an expert on a situation like this by any means (actually i am soon to sit my A level english and reckon i may fail). but surely contacting the uni and telling them your not gonna do an exam will ring some serious alarm bells for them? What was your predicted grade for english may i ask?
Reply 5
Is it not possible for you to sit the exam and then if you get a bad grade in August just not cache it in?
So I really don't know what to do, any advice would be really helpful. I don't know if i should take my english literature exam, I already have my desired place at University (unconditional) and I am predicted high grades for my other two A-level subjects and have an As in Religious studies plus good UCAS points. I've been failing english throughout sixth-form and never wanted to do it. I feel as though if I do take the exam I wont even manage a pass grade and will be stuck with a U on my results form for the rest of my life, which I REALLY don't want. Due to my mock papers, I already know I'm going to fail, so should I just not take the exam at all????

what exam board are you?
Reply 7
Original post by lascelles101
what exam board are you?

AQA
Reply 8
Original post by Croydonboy88
I am not an expert on a situation like this by any means (actually i am soon to sit my A level english and reckon i may fail). but surely contacting the uni and telling them your not gonna do an exam will ring some serious alarm bells for them? What was your predicted grade for english may i ask?

Hmm you may be right, it's a D but I haven't even been able to attain that lately...
Hmm you may be right, it's a D but I haven't even been able to attain that lately...

Did you sit your exam today? How did it go? Fair to say i royally messed it up, i don't see how i can have more than a D to be honest...
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending