The Student Room Group

Bike or should I wait for a car?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Uranium Potato
So my parents have agreed to get me a bike so that I can bike to college rather than paying for expensive bus passes. But then it occurred to me that it could be quite embarrassing since a couple of my friends already have mo-peds etc. Should I just wait for a car, or is it not embarrassing to ride a back even if you're older than 16 (especially in front of other people my age - 16/17)?

Bike absolutely for health and fitness reasons.
You can make bikes as inexpensive as you like really. Personally would chose a bike as I've always liked them...

You could pick up a cheap cbr125 for £300, with your £100 CBT, £500 Max insurance and £100 helmet - £1000 Total....

Would always reccomend decent gear, however... Even second hand gear apart from the helmet.

If you have no love for bikes, don't like the extreme hot or cold or want to commute to uni or travel about... maybe a car is for you. 125cc bikes are good for around the city but for motorways are not enough even with a full license... You'd need at least a 250 and an A2 license... Again, can make as cheap or expensive as you like.
Original post by ClearSky
*gulp* really? :erm:

Nah, but some of them cycle so badly with no consideration for the 1 tonne car behind them, they deserve to be hit.

I don't mind cyclists on cycle lanes, but please stay off the road.
Original post by donkeydong
Nah, but some of them cycle so badly with no consideration for the 1 tonne car behind them, they deserve to be hit.

I don't mind cyclists on cycle lanes, but please stay off the road.

Lmaooo thats a bit harsh, isn't it? :lol:
Lmaooo thats a bit harsh, isn't it? :lol:

Nah most are c***s, half of them cycle because they are too retarded to be able to drive.
Nah most are c***s, half of them cycle because they are too retarded to be able to drive.

Lol. Can you cycle then? :colone:
Lol. Can you cycle then? :colone:

I can, but I don't.

I just drive a car.
Original post by Uranium Potato
So my parents have agreed to get me a bike so that I can bike to college rather than paying for expensive bus passes. But then it occurred to me that it could be quite embarrassing since a couple of my friends already have mo-peds etc. Should I just wait for a car, or is it not embarrassing to ride a back even if you're older than 16 (especially in front of other people my age - 16/17)?

You can get yourself a carbon frame bike with carbon wheels if you are looking for speed - only downside is that bikes are targeted by thieves, i got friends who have tried stealing bikes before so be warned.
I can, but I don't.

I just drive a car.

Car is much easier imo :yep:
Car is much easier imo :yep:

Depends, the hardest thing is probably starting a manual car on a steep hill. Or crawling slowly up a steep hill in a manual, requires a lot of clutch control.

I've only driven manual my whole life, it would be harder for me to drive an automatic right now, haha.
Original post by IWMTom
I get 42mpg average in urban driving, and my car is hardly efficient...

Diesel is much better. Better MPG and diesel engines last longer, because diesel is a lubricant, unlike petrol. If you get a diesel built before April 2017 the tax is quite cheap. My familiy has a 1.6 diesel Citroen Picasso estate. Big car but only £20 a year road tax!

My ex GF had a tiny 2004 1 litre petrol Daewoo Matiz. Almost £200 a year tax despite being a tiny car and it was a total load of rubbish.

It's down to emissions, diesel produces far less CO2 compared to petrol, that's why much cheaper tax and better for the environment. As for particulates, well they don't cause the polar ice caps to melt and better filters can remove particulates. Diesel is the way to go!
Reply 31
Original post by Ambitious1999
Diesel is much better. Better MPG and diesel engines last longer, because diesel is a lubricant, unlike petrol. If you get a diesel built before April 2017 the tax is quite cheap. My familiy has a 1.6 diesel Citroen Picasso estate. Big car but only £20 a year road tax!

My ex GF had a tiny 2004 1 litre petrol Daewoo Matiz. Almost £200 a year tax despite being a tiny car and it was a total load of rubbish.

It's down to emissions, diesel produces far less CO2 compared to petrol, that's why much cheaper tax and better for the environment. As for particulates, well they don't cause the polar ice caps to melt and better filters can remove particulates. Diesel is the way to go!

Have you been living under a rock the last year? Diesel is most definitely not better for the environment in the slightest. Even VW are pulling their damn diesel engines off the market.

Diesel engines are noisy, dirty, and more expensive. More efficient, yes, but much much more polluting.

@RoyalSheepy
Original post by Ambitious1999

Smh at your lack of intelligence.

Diesel gets only slightly better MPG, literally by 0.5 MPG, check the figures yourself.

Diesel engines produce MORE pollutant gas, hence why some diesel cars are being banned from being driven in London because of how pollutant the dirty Diesel engines are

Not to mention at present Petrol prices are lower than diesel prices.

For the record: my Mum's, petrol, car only costs £30 tax per year, and I said it's an Audi A1. The 1L A1 doesn't even need to pay tax, because its emissions are so low but yet has 93BHP.
Compromise by having an electric bike, so its not so hard peddling up hill's and you can zoom along a bit fasta.
Original post by IWMTom
Have you been living under a rock the last year? Diesel is most definitely not better for the environment in the slightest. Even VW are pulling their damn diesel engines off the market.

Diesel engines are noisy, dirty, and more expensive. More efficient, yes, but much much more polluting.

@RoyalSheepy

There's gonna be no market for their VW Transporter camper vans then. I'd like to see VW develop a petrol version of the T5 transporter that has above 13 mpg and relatively low C02 emmisions that means owners won't be paying over £400 a year road tax which is what you'd probably have with a petrol VW transporter!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending