The Student Room Group

For anyone confused about the C3/C4 Leaks

Scroll to see replies

Honestly, right now the best option is to use predicted grades. When someone misses their exam for illness purposes or whatever they use predicted grades. I dont see how this situation is much different. This should apply for only this year. For next year it should be made very clear that if anyone cheats there would be a resit. But since this is a new case then this is the only proper way of dealing with it. If people are unhappy with their predicted grades they can sign their names and edexcel can mark their papers and they will get their actual grade. This is the most effective method. In which case, it wont be costly for edexcel, people wouldnt have to worry about holidays or uncertainty of resits.
tbh a resit wouldn't be possible i dont think as lets say they set it on the 14th of july (my birthday and leavers meal, that doesnt matter though :P).
there will be people who a month or 2 back set their vacation to Spain or somewhere nice during that time so re-sits would be highly unfair for many as they wouldnt make it.

ok yes, i know they can cancel it but thats still highly unfair as that generally means people waste hundreds on deposits and whatnot purely cause some people leaked the paper. I have no clue what they will do btw, just giving my opinion
To prevent any increased predicted grades, each teacher from each school will have to resubmit predicted grades again and it has to be accurate.
Original post by johnbennett
To prevent any increased predicted grades, each teacher from each school will have to resubmit predicted grades again and it has to be accurate.

This will probably make teachers go higher cos itll make them look good - at least thats what my school would do
Reply 144
Honestly, right now the best option is to use predicted grades. When someone misses their exam for illness purposes or whatever they use predicted grades. I dont see how this situation is much different. This should apply for only this year. For next year it should be made very clear that if anyone cheats there would be a resit. But since this is a new case then this is the only proper way of dealing with it. If people are unhappy with their predicted grades they can sign their names and edexcel can mark their papers and they will get their actual grade. This is the most effective method. In which case, it wont be costly for edexcel, people wouldnt have to worry about holidays or uncertainty of resits.

This does not work in the slightest, I had a really *****y year last year due to personal reasons, I got a U in further and an E in normal maths.. not surprising as j had a 50% attendance, and therefore was predicted a D in maths. I now am working at a A-A* level, most likely getting As in all of this year's modules except C4, this would be VERY unfair for me if they did this as I don't deserve a d
Original post by Maawz
This does not work in the slightest, I had a really *****y year last year due to personal reasons, I got a U in further and an E in normal maths.. not surprising as j had a 50% attendance, and therefore was predicted a D in maths. I now am working at a A-A* level, most likely getting As in all of this year's modules except C4, this would be VERY unfair for me if they did this as I don't deserve a d

Notice how i said if people are unhappy with predicted grades then they can get edexcel to mark them. Please read what i wrote fully.
Original post by unknown68
This will probably make teachers go higher cos itll make them look good - at least thats what my school would do

Hmm that could happen. Maybe by letting the head of department do them or something then it would be more accurate? Surely if someone is predicted like an A* and they got an E at AS its not going to be very accurate is it?
Reply 147

Oh please oh please!!!
Anyone else feel this is would disadvantage people from other exam boards?
If everyone who does Edexcel maths just gets their predicted grade, its rather unfair on people who do maths with a different exam board, they would be more likely to achieve uni offers even if in the actual exams they performed worse then another student on a different exam board.
Reply 149
Notice how i said if people are unhappy with predicted grades then they can get edexcel to mark them. Please read what i wrote fully.

What happens if someone did *****y in the exam and had a prediction of an A, this just doesn't work, they're very limited with their options.
Original post by honour
I don't think they'll arrange a resit either, there's just no enough time. Do you think people should just be given their predicted grade?

No idea, but, again personally, I doubt it

Any remedial action will depend on the the scale of the problem. Best just to focus on any remaining exams rather than worry about things outside anyone's control.

:smile:
Reply 151
Edexcels 'spike system' is rubbish, it doesn't take into account students who worked hard and got an A this year despite bad results last year! I believe they should commission a resit, yes that may be inconvenient for those who have done well, but guess what: if you did well once, you're able to do well again. Students on borderline grades deserve to be taken into account, imagine they lose uni places over this. I'm on holiday soon and my last exam is next week and I did well in ydays paper. I would not be mad about resitting or being given an average over my C1,2,3 marks as it shows an accurate representation of my ability last year and this year. I just dont think they should produce any grades based on this exam tbh because those who cheated will benefit and they shouldn't. It will deter others from cheating in the future and I think we need to stop being selfish and take into account the rest of our cohort.
Original post by Styster99
I'm not the person that you replied to, but I understand where you're coming from. People cheating (allegedly) in an exam is frustrating for all of us, and there's no straightforward solution to the problem that satisfies everyone. Despite a retake being unfair to those who performed well, it is the solution that most effectively reduces this issue. However, it's extremely unlikely due to fact that there is no date that will suit everyone due to different holiday timings etc. , among other factors that make it unlikely.

How about exempting A-Level maths from this year's university requirements?
I don't think a resit is the solution but they have to do something, doing nothing will encourage cheating but there's also not much they can do which is annoying. I think at the very least grade boundries should be low and not based off of performance like other years as the amount of people who cheated will cause the grade boundries to be higher than they would've been
Original post by X_alwayssmiley
How about exempting A-Level maths from this year's university requirements?

Absolutely insane suggestion- worst of the lot
guys you know nothing is going to actually happen. There will be no resit, no using predicted grades. This is all just wistful thinking. The grades boundaries will probably be the same as usual. I wish Edexcel would act differently but im just being realistic.
Original post by Dwarf-Shortage
probably 2 then

How many marks do you think 80UMS will be in the C4 paper?
Reply 157
I have a few solutions to what should happen following this breach:

1) Edexcel should invest in numerous lie dectrors. Each student who participated in the Edexcel C3 and C4 exams should go into school and take the lie detector test, 3 times to reduce uncertainty, those who lied about not having cheated should be disqualified, leaving all of us who did the paper legitimately to prosper.

Spoiler

2) The grade boundaries should follow that of a normal distribution, with those scoring middle marks the A* and those scoring high or low marks awarded increasingly lower grades as their marks tend towards the 5th and 95th percentile.

3) Pick the grade out of a hat, each student should be awarded a randomly allocated grade from a hat
Original post by Rexar
I have a few solutions to what should happen following this breach:

1) Edexcel should invest in numerous lie dectrors. Each student who participated in the Edexcel C3 and C4 exams should go into school and take the lie detector test, 3 times to reduce uncertainty, those who lied about not having cheated should be disqualified, leaving all of us who did the paper legitimately to prosper.

Spoiler

2) The grade boundaries should follow that of a normal distribution, with those scoring middle marks the A* and those scoring high or low marks awarded increasingly lower grades as their marks tend towards the 5th and 95th percentile.

3) Pick the grade out of a hat, each student should be awarded a randomly allocated grade from a hat

Fancy my chances with that xD
This is the last year before the new reformed A levels. They must take this very seriously otherwise no-one school or college will want to use Edexcel again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending