The Student Room Group

Need some advice for Drama Application

Basically i want to apply for all the top Drama Schools but i have hardly any work experience outside of my education.

I've heard that some drama schools like this as people that have been to drama clubs/schools before have been moulded to suit their needs etc. Nonetheless it is still done by audition and if the audition fee is paid then surely they will see you anyway and if you really are that good then youll get recalled?

just wondering what people are doing in similar sort of situations as me?

thanx

Olly
Reply 1
I am assuming you are applying for acting courses rather than university courses? I.e. RADA? If so, it shouldn't be held against you if you haven't gone to drama clubs/schools as a child as, to be honest, that is unfair on the large numher of people who can't afford to pay for lessons. So yes, you should still get auditions etc.
Reply 2
well through UCAS im applying for central, the rest are universitys doing drama.

all the other main drama schools are applied for individually. but thank you for ur advice :biggrin: x
Biles
well through UCAS im applying for central, the rest are universitys doing drama.

all the other main drama schools are applied for individually. but thank you for ur advice :biggrin: x

If its university drama courses then they will want to see that you have held an active interest in the subject outside of your Alevel course or whatever. Normally they do look for evidence of youth theatre/drama club/school plays and also that you spend a lot of time at the theatre watching plays.
Reply 4
Biles

Hi Biles, I'm applying to Central too for Acting. (Are you talking about Central School of Speech & Drama, or Central St Martins? I am referring to the former). Have you heard anything from them yet?

I've yet to send off my UCAS form (oops) so I'm hoping they won't take too long to reply.

I shouldn't worry about not having previously been to drama school, I havn't, although I have a lot of other performance experience. What sort of stuff did you write in your PS?
I applied to Central last year through UCAS on deferred entry, but for their "Drama, Applied Theatre and Education" course.

I have never joined a Drama club outside of school but I was heavily involved in drama in my school - directing school plays, starring in school plays, being the Chairman of the Student Drama society, performing in a Physical Comedy show that toured San Francisco, teaching and directing a class of Year 9 students, leading workshops with exchange students from France, Germany, Japan... the list goes on! Ha ha. It's a wonder I had time to fit in my school work!!

But I never recieved outside of school "training" or went to a Drama school before applying to Drama School. As long as you can show you have a real interest, have experience (even if it is in school) and have a natural flair for all things theatrical - everything else becomes irrevalent.

I can't remember who I heard this off... but I think LAMDA see it almost as an advantage if you haven't had any formal training, as it means you are a blank canvas, so to speak, so they can mould you however they want. Many of the "elite" acting clubs/training for kids seem to just produce clones, who all act in the same way, with the same voice and the same notion of what is "good acting."

I don't know if I'm making sense, but I guess what I'm trying to say is...

Don't be put off if you've had no formal training. Just be confident in yourself and in your abilities and that's all the Drama School want to see.

Latest