The Student Room Group

Physics and Philosophy

Hi, I'm planning to apply to study PhysPhil at uni. I was wondering if anyone who currently studies it (or is also applying) had any advice on how to make my application stronger.

I got 10 A* and an A at GCSE (and a C in admaths due to a bad exam which I'm a little worried about). I've just done ASs in Physics, Maths, RS, and History of Art. And will carry the first three on next year, and hope to do Futher Maths AS. Will AS be enough, as from other comments it seems quite imperative? Has anyone got on who didn't study it, but went to a school which does offer it. I was also looking at STEP - is that worth doing?

As for the actual personal statement, what kind of things should I include? Is there any particular reading which is recommended? Is there anything I could do this summer (applications have closed for most things)?

I am planning on applying to Oxford, Kings, Durham, Bristol, and Leeds.

If there is anything else you could think of as well, I would be very grateful for any advice. Thanks x
Physics and philosophy is a weird combo but I like it it seems cool!! Your PS will depend on a couple of things
1) are all of the five courses you are applying for physics and philosophy
2) if yes explore two to three links between subjects the more out there the better
3) if not do 30% physics 30% philosophy 20% an in depth link between the two and 20% extracurricular
Hope that helps you can ask more questions si lo quieres
Nice course decision! I'm not applying for this course but I was very interested at one point so I looked into it. You'll have to do the Physics Aptitude Test anyway, so STEP is unnecessary, but if you want to do maths tests the SMC and AEA are good options. The Physics Olympiad would obviously be very good as well.

For the philosophy side, Debate Chamber and the Locke Institute do summer schools (I think the former has scientifically-oriented summer schools as well) and there are several philosophy essay prizes you could think about entering; I know Oriel College does one. It might be a good idea to read some logic and/or philosophy of science based books as well, to bridge the gap; maybe something by Kuhn or Popper, or Lakatos (my personal favourite). There are several issues bridging the two disciplines, such as the interpretations of quantum mechanics, the eternalism vs. presentism debate and the Leibniz-Clarke correspondence, which you could look into as well.
Reply 3
Original post by TakingMyTimeOnMy
Physics and philosophy is a weird combo but I like it it seems cool!! Your PS will depend on a couple of things
1) are all of the five courses you are applying for physics and philosophy
2) if yes explore two to three links between subjects the more out there the better
3) if not do 30% physics 30% philosophy 20% an in depth link between the two and 20% extracurricular
Hope that helps you can ask more questions si lo quieres

Amazing. Thanks so much!

I know it seems a little weird, but they actually compliment each other really well (both looking to explain everything). I'm actually super excited for the course, so I really hope I get in 😅 x
Reply 4
Original post by Sonechka
Nice course decision! I'm not applying for this course but I was very interested at one point so I looked into it. You'll have to do the Physics Aptitude Test anyway, so STEP is unnecessary, but if you want to do maths tests the SMC and AEA are good options. The Physics Olympiad would obviously be very good as well.

For the philosophy side, Debate Chamber and the Locke Institute do summer schools (I think the former has scientifically-oriented summer schools as well) and there are several philosophy essay prizes you could think about entering; I know Oriel College does one. It might be a good idea to read some logic and/or philosophy of science based books as well, to bridge the gap; maybe something by Kuhn or Popper, or Lakatos (my personal favourite). There are several issues bridging the two disciplines, such as the interpretations of quantum mechanics, the eternalism vs. presentism debate and the Leibniz-Clarke correspondence, which you could look into as well.

Fabulous! This is so so helpful. I was planning on doing a philosophy essay comp. entitled "can we ever see empty space?" which I thought could link the two, but I'll definitely check out your suggestions.

I love Popper too (and only realised he was a philosopher of science about two days ago, which made me love him a little more), so he's definitely going on my list! I'll be sure to check out Lakatos (I haven't actually heard of him, so exciting).

Thank you so much!!! x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending