The Student Room Group

human physiology -- if you've felt your heart hard to breath after waking up, is it t

human physiology -- if you've felt your heart hard to breath after waking up, is it the heat causing that? is it the kind of blanket you use?

can heat even cause this?

why does it do that?
i know someone knows
Reply 2
Original post by makealldigital
human physiology -- if you've felt your heart hard to breath after waking up, is it the heat causing that? is it the kind of blanket you use?

can heat even cause this?

why does it do that?

Okay so basically you wake up feeling out of breath/ tight chested and want to know why?
Well there are a bunch of possible reasons. I don't think the weight of the blanket you use should affect it since even heavy blankets are pretty light, but using a thick blanket could make you hot at night so your body is using extra energy trying to stay cool. That could mean you wake up a bit worn out and having some breathing issues. You could also get a bit dehydrated with that which again could make you worn out. You would probably also wake up feeling warm though.

Other factors could include:
Dirty sheets- bed bugs, dust, dead skin etc all build up in unwashed sheets and this can irritate your airways. Irritated airways become tighter so less air can pass through and that makes you feel out of breath.
Sensitivity to washing product- again this would be because it irritates your airways.
Sensitivity to something in bedroom- same thing as before. Basically you're looking for anything in your room that might be irritating your airways. I say i your room because that's where you are while you're asleep so would be affecting you before you wake up. Bedsheets are the biggest culprit because they are right by your face.

Stuffy room- if your room gets stuffy at night you'll be getting less oxygen from it while you're sleeping and that will make you feel out of breath. If you think this might be the case try opening your window a little bit at night.

Asthma or other breathing conditions- this could include hay fever and anything else. They can be triggered at certain times and laying down is one potential trigger. Basically the change in position makes it harder for your to breathe for whatever reason and that makes you out of breath when you wake up.
Sleep apnoea/ snoring- Just like above it's breathing conditions that are triggered by being in bed.

Blocked nose- if you have a bit of a cold, have hay fever etc you nose can get blocked easily. It could also get a bit blocked by snuggling into your pillow or duvet. Obviously a blocked nose will be blocking the air trying to move through your nose.

Sleeping position- some sleeping positions can put a bit more pressure on your chest and that can cause some issues with breathing.

Dehydration/ hunger- your body is still working when you're asleep so you can get hungry or thirsty in your sleep. It may help to make sure you have some water before bed and maybe a little snack. Low food and drink both make your body a bit worn out and that can cause a strange feeling in your chest.

Those are a few possible factors and i'm sure there are more. Your best option is to pop into see your GP and discuss it. They can suggest possible causes, maybe run a couple of tests and give you advice on how to sort it.
It is possible (though not too likely) that this is a sign of a condition like asthma which can become serious so it's worth seeing your dr to make sure that isn't the cause and to get things sorted.

You may also want to consider if you get a similar feeling at any other time like when you exercise, in cold weather, when lounging on the sofa etc. That could help you pinpoint a cause. If it doesn't happen any other time it's probably something about being in bed so think about what makes that different from the rest of your day.

Hope that helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest