The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Thanks Profresh :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by Bart12345
No, that's not how it works. Underwriters and consumer financing are two separate roles in the same chain of purchase. Underwriters are essentially those who approve those kinds of finances by accepting risk of liability in case of loss of payment (hence 'underwrite':wink: while consumer financing is essentially the bank backing behind the creation of the loan, part of fractional reserve banking.

They never ask this question because they already have this information. Similar to credit rating agencies, insurance policies held in your name is essentially privately held public data. A lack of information obviously implies a lack of an insurance policy - in which case your insurance premiums will rise, or, you will be required to undertake several options in order to become eligible for the financing, such as a 'black box', a house test and other initiatives.

Again, call up a company tomorrow and ask them straight off the bat their policy on individuals whose insurance history is blank, or otherwise holding a driving license for a significant period of time but never actually driving. Various insurers have different policies, ranging from fairly lax (exponential - okay at first few years, then radically rises) or just a straight-line increase.

And you're saying that accounts for named drivers, and company policies? I find it highly unlikely that the last time a prospective policyholder drove can be accurately calculated from policy history on the MID, with enough accuracy to be considered fair.

Whilst you clearly to an extent know your stuff, you're incredibly misinformed here.

To demonstrate, I just ran two insurance quotes - one with a fictional name, and one with my true name - all other factors remained the same. In this instance, the fictional name will have no record of insurance.. ever. Could you please explain to me why the fictional names quote came in at £5 cheaper than my true name? (A quote from Hastings via MoneySupermarket, before you ask).

EDIT: All quotes from each company in both scenarios were more or less the same.
(edited 6 years ago)
Holding a license for 10 years but never having a car is a great way to have insurance worth the same as renting a house because your insurer wouldn't touch you with a bargepole.

And your evidence for this...factual, preferably quantifiable evidence rather than speculation and hearsay?

Insurance costs rise about 20-33% for each year you don't take an insurance out. People who haven't driven for a year after taking out a license normally pay about 1800-2000 a year, significantly above the average of 17-22 year olds (1425 p/a)

What nonsense! Where in earth did you get these 'facts' from? I didn't have car insurance in this country for nearly three years whilst I lived in America. My policy when I returned was less than when I left.

I work in a bank that finances auto loans and insurance (no, companies like DirectLine and Aviva are not insurers, in reality they're just brokers to banks, whom you never meet in the process, effectively a middle-man)

You know nothing :smile:

You work in a bank, with a undefined job title. Why does this make you so qualified to dispense these facts without challenge? Maybe if you worked for an underwriter like RSA, Ageas, AXA or Covea you'd have more authority. But you don't.

Heck, just go and test out a quote by explicitly saying you've had a licence but never driven a car in the last decade. Call up if you want to.

I recommend that people actually do this to debunk it your myth.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 23
I'm 32 and I just learnt to drive. 11 days in i scraped somebodies car cosmetically only and got asked to pay the bill for 600 pounds. I can go through insurance but my insurance will go up by 1000 if i claim and so i have this inner feeling of devastation that it's ruined my Christmas because of a cosmetic scratch on a car (which i accept i did but feel i'm paying a big price for an honest mistake and in a weird way that seems really unfair for a society that preaches forgiveness but doesn't do much forgiving itself financially). That said... I absolutely understand your anxiety. It's expensive, overpriced if anything, insurance seems a con as they don't actually pay really as you pay in the long run if you claim. Plus there's all these rules and honest mistakes are often punished with fines nobody on a working wage can afford and there's too many cars on the road, pedestrians do stupid things and you're expected to be held responsible, cars do stupid stuff and there's far too many of them (i like driving but only when nobody is around) and for some people with lots of money it can be a case of oh well another fine but for us it can ruin Christmases or even businesses temporarily as it has done with mine this year and create feelings of anxiety that other things just don't give us.The only plus side is you can go where you want, when you want but I guess the ultimate would be to live somewhere that you feel socially connected enough to not need it as I feel nobody should feel they have to drive. For starters it's not even natural when you consider we're just animals!I can't help too much with your situation but I will say that its absolutely fine not to do it as it's not an irrational fear...it really really can cost dearly both in terms of safety and financially.On the train you meet people. On the train you have time to read and do stuff, on the train if they crash it's you that gets paid not you who pays and its the same in the taxi, on a plane, on a boat but in a car it's all on you so I think why not keep the car for a while for essential journeys when it's quiet but treat yourself to visits to other places via public transport and if you can't afford it then move somewhere you're happier as this can save £££. It's not ducking out or negating responsibility...as a fully grown adult i think driving is a bit ridiculous and it doesn't mean your more adult or to be an adult you need to do it. So give yourself a break, leave the car at home and use the petrol money for some stress free coach or train trips to all the nice places you want to go and I'll join you in doing so!
Reply 24
I wholeheartedly agree. I’m going through the same thing with my parents. How do I not drive in test. How do I convince my parents to not make me drive or take my test
Reply 25
I wholeheartedly agree. I’m going through the same thing with my parents. How do I not drive in test. How do I convince my parents to not make me drive or take my test
Reply 26
I am in the same situation. I actually hate learning how to drive but everyone says I have to. I do okay in my lessons but I get really nervous in the test and start forgetting everything and mess it up. It's costing me a lot of money and I plan on never buying a car as they are way too expensive to maintain.
I know that feeling I want to drive but then again I don’t want too but how will I get to places if I don’t drive I suffer with severe anxiety and bad panic attacks and my vision is messed up
Might not be an issue now, but it limits the scope of where you can work, public transport is only good in London
Original post by Anonymous
I'm going to sound really unreasonable and ungrateful.

Basically I don't want to drive. I understand it's convenient and supports independence but I hate it. There a number of reasons why but a few of them a) So expensive to run a car. I don't earn a lot. b) I hate it - I feel uncomfortable, insecure and agitated all the time. c) Bad for the environment (not an excuse at all btw - I'm v pro green) d) Encourages my laziness. I struggle with my mental health and finding the motivation to get out exercise and I find using public transport actually helps me be more active and alleviate depression. It literally forces me to go out.

The main reasons are b) and d) btw.

My parents think it's important for me to drive despite me being fine with public transport. I rarely if ever ask for lifts. They said they'd get me driving lessons and organised it all because I was reluctant to (as I don't want to drive). I felt I had to take them because it was ungrateful not to. I don't enjoy it at all. I'm not bad at driving but I dislike it soo much. They even bought me a car to push me. (My Dad uses it all the time though I think I was more an excuse to buy another car.) I just don't want to carry on. I don't want to continue lessons. I don't want to do my theory. I don't want to do my test. Yes I sound ungrateful but I feel I'm being pushed into doing something I just don't want to do and it's just making me hate driving even more!

I don't know what to do. I just want to cry. I literally hate it and the whole process is making me worse.

Did you end up doing it?
Original post by Anonymous
I'm going to sound really unreasonable and ungrateful.

Basically I don't want to drive. I understand it's convenient and supports independence but I hate it. There a number of reasons why but a few of them a) So expensive to run a car. I don't earn a lot. b) I hate it - I feel uncomfortable, insecure and agitated all the time. c) Bad for the environment (not an excuse at all btw - I'm v pro green) d) Encourages my laziness. I struggle with my mental health and finding the motivation to get out exercise and I find using public transport actually helps me be more active and alleviate depression. It literally forces me to go out.

The main reasons are b) and d) btw.

My parents think it's important for me to drive despite me being fine with public transport. I rarely if ever ask for lifts. They said they'd get me driving lessons and organised it all because I was reluctant to (as I don't want to drive). I felt I had to take them because it was ungrateful not to. I don't enjoy it at all. I'm not bad at driving but I dislike it soo much. They even bought me a car to push me. (My Dad uses it all the time though I think I was more an excuse to buy another car.) I just don't want to carry on. I don't want to continue lessons. I don't want to do my theory. I don't want to do my test. Yes I sound ungrateful but I feel I'm being pushed into doing something I just don't want to do and it's just making me hate driving even more!

I don't know what to do. I just want to cry. I literally hate it and the whole process is making me worse.

Be interested to know what you did and how you overcame this coz I'm in the exact same boat right now
I just live in London and don’t have this issue.
In the last year we have hired a car to visit parents due to COVID and not wanting to be on train for hours but we will go back to getting train once it’s over.

I can drive, I passed my test at 18. But not driven for next um 30 years. Just live in big towns near my jobs (which have all been for office based companies in centre of big cities)
If you learn to drive embrace it and complete it. Just because you qualify to have a licence and to drive doesn't mean that you have to drive.
Learn to drive and wait until older when you have more money, more confidence and are happy doing it and you need it before you start having a car etc.
Go Well
Reply 33
Original post by Amy3319
Driving a car is not necessary when there are public transportations. I don't drive a car and I'm. it planning to. I never needed a driver licence as an id. I have other IDs. Not driving a car has more benefits than driving it. I don't understand why people are annoyed with people that don't want to drive a car.

Was it really necessary to bump a thread that's many years old with your irrelevant opinion?

Latest

Trending

Trending