The Student Room Group

what next? (driving)

Hello i just got my provisional licence so I'm all new to this driving stuff. I was wondering what I should do after this. Should i book driving lessons or should i start reading the theory books. My mum is a driver and she recommended me to start reading the books first, but i also saw a comment on TSR with someone with a similar situation saying that they should start looking for an instructor instead. What should i do first?
Original post by Shinya_Kogami
Hello i just got my provisional licence so I'm all new to this driving stuff. I was wondering what I should do after this. Should i book driving lessons or should i start reading the theory books. My mum is a driver and she recommended me to start reading the books first, but i also saw a comment on TSR with someone with a similar situation saying that they should start looking for an instructor instead. What should i do first?

It makes sense to start learning some theory so you know the basics, but if you have been a passenger in a car for years then between that and your instructor's guidance you will know enough to drive around safely.

I can imagine some people don't even look at the theory side until their test is booked, but others might be pouring over it before they even sit in the drivers seat. There's no right or wrong, some people might feel a bit overwhelemed trying to take it all in at once.

I would get a head start on your theory first, so then you get it out of the way - it is very useful once you have started driving and it will be easier if you know different things mean before you start driving.

book lessons and get your theory done.

for theory dont use books, just get the official DVSA apps.... they are the best ones to use
Original post by Admit-One
It makes sense to start learning some theory so you know the basics, but if you have been a passenger in a car for years then between that and your instructor's guidance you will know enough to drive around safely.

I can imagine some people don't even look at the theory side until their test is booked, but others might be pouring over it before they even sit in the drivers seat. There's no right or wrong, some people might feel a bit overwhelemed trying to take it all in at once.

Yes I see what you mean as I’ve been a passenger in a cars since my mum and dad have been driving for years. I would want to know the physicality of driving behind a wheel.
Original post by B7861
book lessons and get your theory done.

for theory dont use books, just get the official DVSA apps.... they are the best ones to use

Those apps cost £5 is it worth the price?
Yes I see what you mean as I’ve been a passenger in a cars since my mum and dad have been driving for years. I would want to know the physicality of driving behind a wheel.

Sounds like you should just book some lessons and read the highway code in the background. It's available on the GOV.uk website.
Those apps cost £5 is it worth the price?

I mean it's a fiver so just go for it. most of the questions in my test were ones I had already seen in the app
Original post by Admit-One
Sounds like you should just book some lessons and read the highway code in the background. It's available on the GOV.uk

ok thanks This has helped a lot
Original post by B7861
I mean it's a fiver so just go for it. most of the questions in my test were ones I had already seen in the app

Okay I’ll do just That thnanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending