The Student Room Group

Mechanical Engineering - Aerospace

I've just finished my second year doing Aerospace Engineering and am currently sitting at a 2.1 (66 in first year and 65.5 second) and i'm thinking of doing a masters in Mechanical Engineering with focus on Aerospace (at Nottingham uni). I've got about 6 weeks of work experience under my belt and represented my uni presenting on an aerospace topic, do you think I have a good chance at getting a place?

Are there any other Notts engineering graduates that could help answer? Also what makes the ideal masters applicant? Entry requirements say Upper Second class in Bachelors of Engineering, but people with 2.1s still get rejected?
(edited 6 years ago)
Where are you getting your data that people with 2:1s being rejected? Unless they have a strict limit on spaces due to e.g. supervisors available for projects and/or lab space for some practical element on the course, most masters courses are pretty open ended for taking students, and take most anyone who meets the minimum requirements, can pay the fees, and isn't a war criminal or something (except LSE :wink: ).

PhD programmes on the other hand, are often pretty selective due to limited funding available for projects - although often they'll offer people an unfunded PhD if they otherwise satisfy their requirements, but there isn't enough funding left as other more attractive applicants were allocated it first.

I would honestly be surprised if you weren't offered a place provided you continue in the same vein. Just make sure to do well in your final project/thesis/dissertation, as this will likely be something they're very interested to see you perform well in - also your supervisor for said project will probably end up being one of your references.
Original post by fortunecookie616
I've just finished my second year doing Aerospace Engineering and am currently sitting at a 2.1 (66 in first year and 65.5 second) and i'm thinking of doing a masters in Mechanical Engineering with focus on Aerospace (at Nottingham uni). I've got about 6 weeks of work experience under my belt and represented my uni presenting on an aerospace topic, do you think I have a good chance at getting a place?

Are there any other Notts engineering graduates that could help answer? Also what makes the ideal masters applicant? Entry requirements say Upper Second class in Bachelors of Engineering, but people with 2.1s still get rejected?

As @artful_lounger alludes to, generally getting into an engineering MSc degree isn't that competitive. I'm not aware of people with 2:1s struggling to get offers.
Original post by fortunecookie616

2.1 getting rejected for a Masters in Mechanical Engineering? Unless you have some data to support this, like everyone says, this is simply untrue. From what you have written, you seem to be pretty decent in terms of academic achievement to date and, as an addition, have some work experience with which you can make a good case for yourself in a personal statement. You will be fine at the University of Nottingham or most top-class rated Mechanical Engineering department in the UK. Or outside the UK.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending