The Student Room Group

More excited about studying than partying?

Would-be university students today are more likely to see themselves spending time in the library rather than the bar, according to a poll by Leeds Beckett.

Almost three in 10 (29%) of sixth-formers are most looking forward to studying a subject they are passionate about.

Less than one in 10 (9.1%) said the thing they are most excited about at university is the nightlife.

Around a fifth (19.6%) say the thing they are most looking forward to at university is progressing their career.

Do these findings surprise you?
If you're a sixth former going to uni, what are you most excited about?
If you're a student/ former student, what were you most excited about? If you're neither of the above then get involved anyway!
Doesn't surprise me; isn't studying/progressing your career the point of going to university?

I am excited to learn more maths and a student loan allows me to live away from a wretched place which is so desolate; can't say too much about career, because I have no idea what I want to do.
Reply 2
Definitely most excited about studying the subject I love - if you're really going to uni just for the nightlife, is it really worth it?
Reply 3
I would be slightly worried if the majority were more interested in getting high/drunk/laid than studying for a degree that they're paying thousands of pounds a year for.
(edited 6 years ago)
This doesn't surprise me. So many people go to uni now that just going to uni isn't enough anymore, you need to excel at it to stand out from all the competition for jobs.

I'm currently an undergrad student going into my 4th year in September, and what I was most excited about when I first started uni was moving out from home and into a big city. Wasn't too hyped about the studying though :biggrin:
I admire the naive enthusiasm and passion of these young things.

But wait until you're final year.... you've logged 60 hours in the library for the fourth week in a row. You won't be looking forward to studying, you'll be looking forward to taking a flamethrower to your books and notes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending