The Student Room Group

I want to make the most out of university, what do you advice?

Hey all,

This September I'm starting my first year of university, I'm really excited but also anxious. I'm guessing it's normal to feel that way.

I want to make the most out of my time here at university, I would love to hear from tips on how to make the most out of university such as what do you recommend not recommend, what did you find hard etc.
Reply 1
Go to societies, even if it's just taster sessions during welcome/freshers week - you'll meet people who aren't on your course and if you like a society they're a great way to get a break from studies and see people once a week. Go to all your lectures, you'll be able to get to know your coursemates and lecturers better if you do and it's going to help when it comes to assignments (plus you'll just learn so much more). Start assignments early - slow and steady can be really helpful to get things done well and it means you won't have to sacrifice all your social/relaxing time during deadlines season. If something is happening that intrigues you, go along to it (whether that's a flat party, an SU event, a one-off evening lecture etc.). If something you don't want to do is happening, don't let anyone bug you into going.

I feel like this may seem like typical uni advice but, genuinely, it's what worked for me. Going to the RPG+LGBT societies during my first year got me my two closest uni friends. Then going to lectures and developing the habit of starting work early has alleviating a lot of stress and helped my grades improve.
Original post by unknown011
Hey all,

This September I'm starting my first year of university, I'm really excited but also anxious. I'm guessing it's normal to feel that way.

I want to make the most out of my time here at university, I would love to hear from tips on how to make the most out of university such as what do you recommend not recommend, what did you find hard etc.

Hey :smile:

First of all congratulations on taking the plunge towards working for a higher level of education. It is an incredible privilege to access this level of education and is something that you should definitely be proud of.

Now I just want to preface that each university is different and the environment that I was exposed to may not exactly be the same that you would be experiencing throughout your years at university. Nonetheless, I do hope I can provide some useful tips that I found were key to my fulfillment throughout my university years.

1. Student Union and Societies.
I think it's really important as a freshman in university to find a really good starting point for you to meet people and socialize, especially if you are going to a university that is far from home or does not have anyone you knew from your past. If you were like me, I had to deal with both. So I turned to my university's student union. At my student union, I found a lot of opportunities to meet with people that had similar interests as me or were willing to give different sessions a try as a means of expanding their experiences. Through these events, I was able to meet some of my closest friends at the university. And it wasn't just from one event, it was from a multitude of events ranging from different themes and occasions. From sports sessions to day trips to parties and even volunteer work. There will always be something your student union will have put on and I strongly suggest involving yourself with them as much as you can.

2. Study Diligently Not Obsessively.
One of the main reasons you go to university is to study and get a degree. As such it is highly important to set aside time to do your homework and focus on your assessments. But the important thing to note is a study-life balance. Going to the library or locking yourself up in your room 7 days a week to stay on top of your notes and lectures is not a way to go about your days at university. You will not only be limiting your experience but you would also prohibit your growth as an individual. This is why it is so important to understand the times when you should be focused on uni work and realize the times when you can allow yourself to unwind and enjoy being a university student.

3. Alcohol in Moderation.
It is probably common knowledge at this point that once you enter university you will at some point run into pub crawls, night-outs, and clubbing invites whether it be through university events or from your friends wanting a fun activity to do in the evening. This is where your self-discipline comes into play. There is nothing wrong with a night out and honestly, it can be some of the best nights of your university life, however, it can also be very dangerous if not approached responsibly and with care. My advice would always be to approach these events ignoring the fear of missing out and just deciding for yourself if you really want to engage in such activity without the pressure of your peers.

There are obviously more things to note about university life but as a general rule of thumb, these three are my top priorities whenever I am asked for advice and recommendations once entering this exciting period of a person's life.

I hope you can take something out of this and I wish you the best for your upcoming university experience!

Derrick
Hey all,

Hey there,

Just a few tips from my personal experience:
- Stay on top of your course content from day one. Have a personal revision timetable before term starts. This way you won't struggle when time for assignment submission comes
- Try to stay focused and absorb as much as you can during lectures, makes revision a lot easier
- Participate in extra-curricular activities - sports, societies, student representative, volunteering, trips. A wide range of activities you can get involved with
- Get a part-time job, only if you are able to manage it though
- Try new things, e.g. try a new sport. I tried Archery at uni, and it was fun!

These are just a few, hope they help you. Best of luck for your first year!

Kind regards,
Juzer
Cov Uni Student Ambassador
Hey all,

Hi!
Yes, this is a completely normal way to be feeling, most people will be feeling like this so you are definitely not alone!

My advice would be to get involved with as much as possible, there are so many events throughout the year but especially during freshers week. So getting involved with these will mean you will meet lots of new people and just generally have a great time. These events don't just involve clubbing, there will be plenty to choose from.
Societies are another great way to make the most of your time at university, whether it's a sport you love or another activity. I have found societies to be so much fun, definitely one of my highlights of my first year.
One thing I have found difficult is taking time to relax, with so much going on I found myself becoming burnt out. So taking time for yourself is important especially as moving to uni is such a big step.
Hope this helps. Faye :smile:
Hey there!

Congrats on starting your first year of university! It's completely normal to feel excited and anxious, so don't worry too much about that. As a second year cyber security student at De Montfort University, I would recommend getting involved in extracurricular activities or clubs that interest you. It's a great way to meet new people and make connections, while also exploring your interests outside of academics. Additionally, don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it - whether it's from your professors, academic advisors, or classmates. University can be challenging at times, but there are always resources available to support you. Finally, make sure to prioritize self-care and take breaks when needed. It's important to maintain a healthy balance between academics, social life, and personal well-being.

Best of luck to you, and enjoy your first year at university!

- Ilya :wink:
Hey all,

Hi @unknown011 congratulations on getting into Uni!

To make the most of your first year I would recommend going to societies this will help you make some connections and friends, also take advantage of freshers week. Make an effort to get to know your classmates and lectures this will help you throughout your time at uni. I would defiantly say confidence is key make an effort with everyone, in your first few weeks. Don't just focus on your work make sure to have some down time and take advantage of activities the university has to offer.

Hope this Helps!

Gurpej Kaur(Student Rep)
Hey all,

Hello,

Congrats on going to university!

Although it can seem like a very anxious time it's also a great time to try new things and push yourslef out of your comfort zone. As the other replies have said, societies are a perfect way to do this! My tip would be to go to as many as possible in the first week to meet people, try out new hobbies and build up your confidence. In regards to the academic side, make sure to make the most out of lectuerer office hours and services like the library, they all want to support you! Finally, don't be afraid to reach out if you're struggling as a lot of other students will be feeling the same way.
Hey all,

Hey there. Feeling a mixture of excitement and anxiety is so normal as this is a massive new chapter.

My advice would be to say yes to everything - obviously within reason, but saying yes to going out with new people is a great way to make new friendships. Making friends was slightly harder for me as I started during the pandemic, but I still made sure I went to every party or gathering I was invited to which meant I was able to meet so many people and make new friends. This doesn't need to be drinking occassions, it could be going out for a coffee or going into the town/city, but doing this with new people will help you form new relationships.

I would also say to hold back from visiting home every weekend or too often to start off with just while you're settling in and building new friendships. I think it can be easy to visit home as soon as you feel lonely or uncomfortable, but being out of your comfort zone is important to help you grow and get used to a new situation.

I would also recommend joining a society as this is another great way to meet people with similar interests to you. I joined the ski society in my second year and I absolutely loved it. We would have socials every week and this was an amazing way to make new friends and fill my schedule.

Making use of the university facilities also really helped me. I went onto campus libraries to complete my work instead of doing it from my bedroom, as this made me more productive and it would also give me more structure into my days.

I hope this helps, and the best of luck for starting university in September.

Scarlet - Sheffield Hallam Student Ambassador
Hey all,

Hi there!

Congratulations on starting university in September, it's such an exciting time! Everyone is always a little worried about the big change but it's completely normal don't worry!

To get the most out of university, I joined the Facebook group for my course before I started! This meant that on the first day, I had people I already knew to chat to! Once you get to university, there is so much to get involved with that you'll never be short of something to do! Joining societies is a great way to make friends outside your course / flat and loads of people find this a great way to relax whilst at uni! When it comes to studying, first year is all about finding out what methods work for you as it's quite different to college! Don't be too hard on yourself in the first few weeks and give yourself time to work out how you're going to study / what works best for you!

I hope this helps!

Rebecca - 3rd Year at UCLan
Hey all,

Hi @unknown011,

I think it’s completely normal to feel anxious about starting university. I felt the exact same and I’m sure most students would tell you the same!

I’m currently a second year at ARU. It’s a big adjustment starting university but I do have some advice.

I would highly recommend getting a diary if you don’t already use one. I’d never used one before starting uni but now I use it every day. It’s really helped me to stay on top of my coursework and to balance uni, work and my social life. When using the diary I’d recommend making sure you leave time for yourself. It’s so easy to get bogged down with coursework but it’s so important to do things you enjoy.

Look into what your societies your university offers and join any that you think my interest you. This is a great way to meet friends outside of your course or accommodation circle.

I’d also suggest joining some of the welcome week activities. These are a great and fun way to start uni and meet lots of people.

Make sure you always ask questions you have, no matter how silly you think they are!

Good luck starting!

Sophie (ARU) :smile:
Hey all,

@unknown011

1) If you are living in student accommodation, on the first day that you move in try to keep your door slightly open so that you make it easier for people to knock your door and say 'hello'. If everyone has their door shut, do be pro-active and go and say 'hello'. You can suggest grabbing a coffee somewhere nearby, seeing if there are interested in finding the nearest supermarket or going to a Freshers' event. It is useful to begin to know the names of the people you are living with and to begin to talk to each other. You're going to be living with each other for a year!

2) Talk to different people you meet. As a minimum, find out their name, where they are from and what subject their studying. This will hopefully lead to more conversation whether that's, 'I have been to that city', or 'I have a flatmate studying the same subject' or just curiosity about the degree they are studying.

3) Think carefully about what societies you want to join. Do you want to try a new sport? Do you want to join a society related to your course? Do you want to join a religious, political, environmental or humanitarian society? You can't do everything so find out what's on offer. Attend the societies' fair. Find out what days they meet and when they usually have their socials and see if it works with your timetable.

4) Get to know the area. If you are moving for university, you will feel more at home the better acquainted you are with the town or city. It's always nice to know the best place to grab a good cup coffee and something to eat.

5) Be familiar with the library and where you can find the books, journals etc which are relevant to your subject. Get to know the best floor for working.
You don't have to spend all your time at the library, but do make use of the resources available to you to get the best out of your studies.

Finally, I think one of the hardest things for me was processing so much new information, becoming familiar with how things worked, where things were and getting to know people. It is intense, but you just have to get on with it! It is tough initially, but hopefully you will get into a routine after a few weeks.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
(edited 9 months ago)
Hey all,

Hi @unknown011,

Just wanted to check :smile:
How are you? Have you found any of our advice useful?
Maybe you have any further questions :rolleyes:

- Ilya :u:
Hey all,

Hi there,

Congrats on getting an admission. The most important thing is too be really prepared, find out your accommodation, feeding, general cost of living, facilities and support available the list goes on as this helps lessen anxiety. Also, if possible be there for freshers' week, you get lots of tips and help and what to do from current students and staff. When I first started, it was quite challenging because you meet different people (different foods, languages, cultures, religion etc) but I learnt to adapt after a while. The structure of the classes are also different but you have a lot of free time depends on your course though. Try as much as possible to get involved, clubs, societies, volunteering, school activities and events and don't be afraid to ask for help whether from your lecturers or colleagues. Remember, just be you. I hope this helps!

Benedicta,
Digital Ambassador-UoS
Hey all,

Hey!
Congratulations on going to uni! How exciting!
It is very normal to feel nervous and anxious, everyone will be feeling the same way, just remember that!

Make use of open days to your chosen university, this is so you can get to know your surroundings and know where you need to be. Its also a great time to speak to lecturers and ask any questions you have and also to speak to current students about their experiences.

Join societies and make use and enjoy freshers week! Its time to connect and make some friends!
Be prepared when going to lectures with pre reading and work beforehand also plan the week ahead.
Don't be scared about trying new things and taking opportunities that come your way :smile:
Make self-care a priority. Try your best not to burnout. Pace workload and have a social life.

Hope that helps :smile:
Enjoy the journey!

Sophie
WrexhamUniReps
Hey all,

Hi @unknown011 :h:

This is so exciting, and you're definitely asking the right questions here! It's definitely normal to feel a lovely concoction of excitement and nerves, just remember a lot of others will also be feeling anxious, and feeling anxious just shows you care about where you are and what it is you're doing, so try not to let it get on top of you too much! Lean into the excitement!

I think my biggest tip would be: don't be afraid to ask questions! Chances are, if you're unsure of something, other people are also unsure of it too! You're not expected to know everything (otherwise what would be the point in going?) so asking questions on anything you might be confused about will really help you, and lecturers/seminar leaders are there for that reason and are happy to help!

Also, it might be really fun to start thinking about how you're going to take your notes ahead of beginning in September? Digitally? Laptop or iPad? Paper? I really enjoy looking at what methods other people use on YouTube/Pinterest etc

Hope you have a wonderful time at uni wherever and whatever it is you're studying! :h:

Danielle :smile:
Film and Television Studies
Hey all,

Hi @unknown011,
Firstly congratulations on your acceptance into university. Remember that alone is a major achievement to be proud of !! Secondly, it is totally normal to feel both excited and anxious about starting university, because there are so many new opportunities ahead that await you. Rest assured that is exactly how everybody starting university in September is feeling, no matter what university they are going to, and even if they don't show it :smile: Additionally, the fact alone that you are reaching out on here, about how to make the most out of your time at university, shows initiative which indicates that you will most definitely be successful with your endeavors at university. My advice would be to join a sports society in your first year because it is a great way to take a break from studying and make new friends. In this same way, I'd advise grasping every opportunity that comes your way at university whether that be a placement, or invite to take part in an activity with new friends. Finally, university is a step up from school/college in terms of the level of work you are required to produce, but if you stay on top of the work your set each week like reading, then that will ensure you stay on top of it.
Good luck for September and have fun!
Megan H (University of Lincoln BSc (Hons) Geography Graduate)
Hey all,

Hi @unknown011

I recommend trying to complete notes/coursework in the week between lectures, so you'll have evenings and weekends free and be able to agree to go do something if a friend/flatmate asks! I also recommend joining any societies you're interested in as they're a great way to meet new people.

I always tell people to be friendly to everyone they meet, and never stop making friends even if you have got a friendship group. Knowing lots of different people at university is great, as even if your flatmates are busy, you can go hang out with a course/society friend. Some of my closest friends I didn't meet till second year, and some people I met early on in first year are no longer close friends, so it's important to always be open to getting to know people (and they might really appreciate a friend!).

Rebecca (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Hey all,

Hey @unkown011,

Congratulations! You are 100% right, its completely normal to feel excited and anxious about your university journey. I study Psychology at Kent.

Without trying to repeat too much of what others have mentioned I would strongly advise in getting involved in becoming student representative/student ambassador/mentor or something similar. I found these roles helped me get to know staff and students in an informal setting. Making these connections has helped me advance my career much quicker than I could have done on my own. I have gained work experience I could not have found by myself. Making connections with staff can be very valuable and more often than not, if you express an interest in their interest they are happy to discuss the topic with you. I learned so much from hearing lecturers discuss their research areas with me!

There is a common piece of advice that is given which is to say yes as much as you can. Whilst this can be very helpful and push you out of your comfort zone, it is important to remember you can say no. Keeping a work/life balance is important and it is easy to overcommit to different things. It is okay and important to say no sometimes to roles or events. You know yourself best.

I could talk for hours about how to make the most out of university but I will leave it here! What are you most looking forward to @unkown011?

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending