The Student Room Group

STEP support programme assignment 1

Hi, can anyone help me with question 3ii? I've never done any STEP questions before so I'm finding it quite hard as it's so different to A Level :frown:

Here is the link: https://maths.org/step/sites/maths.org.step/files/assignments/Assignment_1.pdf
So for part 1 i guess you cross multiplied to find a quadratic, then used the discriminant to show that it was greater than 0 in each case. Part ii uses the same logic that the discriminant is equal to 0, as it has only one root. you should collect terms and factorise the coefficients. I got
X^2(c-1) -(a+b)cX +(ab)(c+1) for the quadratic once i cancelled -bx etc on each side. Then the discriminant is ((a+b)c)^2-4(c-1)(c+1)ab=0 note the difference of 2 squares

from here c^2(a^2+b^2+2ab -4ab) +4ab=0
this is equal to C^2(a-b)^2=-4ab
then divide by a-b)^2 to get the answer

the last bits are some manipulation, if you work through what i said it should make sense. If you need to I will upload a image of my working but i want to keep it a bit vague so you still do some work! hope this helps
For part (ii):
This part of the question uses the knowledge and skill you developed in part (i). Remember: STEP is NOTORIOUS for this sort of structure with its questions. You need to pay particular attention to what you did in (i) and be able to deftly apply that to part (ii).

You can initially rewrite the expression as a quadratic. By multiplying by (xa)(xb)(x-a)(x-b), given that xa,bx\neq a,b (since that would make the denominator of the original expression equal to 00, which is impossible), you find that you obtain the equation 2x2(a+b)x=(c+1)(x2(a+b)x+ab)2x^2 - (a+b)x = (c+1)(x^2-(a+b)x+ab). This can be rearranged to be a quadratic with coefficients in terms of a,b,c: (c1)x2c(a+b)x+(c+1)ab=0(c-1)x^2 - c(a+b)x + (c+1)ab=0.

This is now in a form we can work with. We want to show that if there is only one solution, then c satisfies that condition. Let's run back to the logic of one solution:
If a quadratic has one solution, then its discriminant is equal to zero. Therefore, if (c1)x2c(a+b)x+(c+1)ab=0(c-1)x^2 - c(a+b)x + (c+1)ab=0 has one solution, then its discriminant is zero. Thus, by taking the discriminant and setting it equal to zero, we find that

c2(a+b)24×(c1)×(c+1)×ab=0c^2(a+b)^2 - 4 \times (c-1) \times (c+1) \times ab = 0

And hence by rearranging the result we see that

c2[(a+b)24×ab]=4abc^2\left [ (a+b)^2 - 4 \times ab\right ] = -4ab
    c2=4ab(ab)2\implies c^2= \dfrac{-4ab}{(a-b)^2}.

Therefore, if (c1)x2c(a+b)x+(c+1)ab=0(c-1)x^2 - c(a+b)x + (c+1)ab=0 has one solution, then c2=4ab(ab)2c^2= \dfrac{-4ab}{(a-b)^2}. This is the required result.

The next bit takes a bit of spotting, and you could work 'backwards' to get the result and then rewrite your solution 'in reverse'---that is, working back to the result you obtained, and then writing out your solution the correct way round. Moving on:

Rewriting the conditions for c gives us c2=1a2+2ab+b2a22ab+b2c^2= 1-\dfrac{a^2+2ab+b^2}{a^2-2ab+b^2}. Since a,b,cRa,b,c \in \mathbf{R}, it is evident c20c^2\geqslant 0 and (a+bab)20\left(\dfrac{a+b}{a-b}\right)^2 \geqslant 0. Therefore 0c210\leqslant c^2\leqslant 1.

However we are not done. If c2=0c^2 = 0 then it follows a=0,b=0a=0,\quad b=0, which is not allowed. Thus 0<c210<c^2\leqslant 1
how do you type maths like that, sorry, new to the site and wan to know how i couldhave presented my response better, as they have the same content more or less, is thre a guide on the forum or somehting.
Original post by tomahawker314
how do you type maths like that, sorry, new to the site and wan to know how i couldhave presented my response better, as they have the same content more or less, is thre a guide on the forum or somehting.

Hi there! It's simple: put "latex" tags around your maths. Put "latex" in square brackets before and after your maths text, only make sure you put a forward slash (/) before the word "latex" on your second tag.

LaTeX is a method of typesetting mathematics and is extremely useful. Visit ShareLaTeX to learn the syntax and test out some LaTeX for yourself :smile:
ok thanks for that, sounds a bit like html then. I'll look into it for any subseqeunt posts I will make. Thats very helpful bro, cheers.
Reply 6
Thank you both😊
Reply 7
Original post by TobyReichelt
For part (ii):
This part of the question uses the knowledge and skill you developed in part (i). Remember: STEP is NOTORIOUS for this sort of structure with its questions. You need to pay particular attention to what you did in (i) and be able to deftly apply that to part (ii).

You can initially rewrite the expression as a quadratic. By multiplying by (xa)(xb)(x-a)(x-b), given that xa,bx\neq a,b (since that would make the denominator of the original expression equal to 00, which is impossible), you find that you obtain the equation 2x2(a+b)x=(c+1)(x2(a+b)x+ab)2x^2 - (a+b)x = (c+1)(x^2-(a+b)x+ab). This can be rearranged to be a quadratic with coefficients in terms of a,b,c: (c1)x2c(a+b)x+(c+1)ab=0(c-1)x^2 - c(a+b)x + (c+1)ab=0.

This is now in a form we can work with. We want to show that if there is only one solution, then c satisfies that condition. Let's run back to the logic of one solution:
If a quadratic has one solution, then its discriminant is equal to zero. Therefore, if (c1)x2c(a+b)x+(c+1)ab=0(c-1)x^2 - c(a+b)x + (c+1)ab=0 has one solution, then its discriminant is zero. Thus, by taking the discriminant and setting it equal to zero, we find that

c2(a+b)24×(c1)×(c+1)×ab=0c^2(a+b)^2 - 4 \times (c-1) \times (c+1) \times ab = 0

And hence by rearranging the result we see that

c2[(a+b)24×ab]=4abc^2\left [ (a+b)^2 - 4 \times ab\right ] = -4ab
    c2=4ab(ab)2\implies c^2= \dfrac{-4ab}{(a-b)^2}.

Therefore, if (c1)x2c(a+b)x+(c+1)ab=0(c-1)x^2 - c(a+b)x + (c+1)ab=0 has one solution, then c2=4ab(ab)2c^2= \dfrac{-4ab}{(a-b)^2}. This is the required result.

The next bit takes a bit of spotting, and you could work 'backwards' to get the result and then rewrite your solution 'in reverse'---that is, working back to the result you obtained, and then writing out your solution the correct way round. Moving on:

Rewriting the conditions for c gives us c2=1a2+2ab+b2a22ab+b2c^2= 1-\dfrac{a^2+2ab+b^2}{a^2-2ab+b^2}. Since a,b,cRa,b,c \in \mathbf{R}, it is evident c20c^2\geqslant 0 and (a+bab)20\left(\dfrac{a+b}{a-b}\right)^2 \geqslant 0. Therefore 0c210\leqslant c^2\leqslant 1.

However we are not done. If c2=0c^2 = 0 then it follows a=0,b=0a=0,\quad b=0, which is not allowed. Thus 0<c210<c^2\leqslant 1

We never provide full worked solutions in the study help forum. As @Doonesbury said, 'It's study help, not do this question for me.'
Original post by Desmos
We never provide full worked solutions in the study help forum. As @Doonesbury said, 'It's study help, not do this question for me.'

"We"?

And we do provide full worked solutions: I have just demonstrated the provision of full worked solutions.

It's more helpful in STEP to guide through the question than to just point out random facts and say the answer in a cryptic way like a glorified gypsy. STEP is the why, not the what.
Reply 9
Original post by TobyReichelt
It's more helpful in STEP to guide through the question.

This is utter nonsense. Siklos himself goes completely against this...

Quick Reply

Latest