The Student Room Group

Self employment proof NHS

HI, I really need some advise fast!

I've finally been offered a job as trainee on the NHS... They ask for references to cover 3 years of employment... I've got references to cover 12 years of employment even, except a year ago I was self employed, and they asked me to send HMRC letter to proof business was conducted properly conducted.

I had an accountant at the beginning and he set the company (after I started trading as a sole trader), He registered me for corporation tax and PAYE, I was taking the minimum salary as the only employee, but only on paper, (pay slips) I wasn't making enough to cover the costs, so after 8 months I ceased trading, I didn't file corporation tax as the relationship with the accountant went sour because I didn't agree with his work ethics, I've done my tax return a few weeks ago, and I've just filled for bankruptcy as I was drowning in debts.

I don't know how to proof to them, I don't want them to contact my accountant because I don't trust him, they've also mentioned bankers, Obviously my account was overdrawn up until the bankruptcy, and I also don't want to get my landlord involved which happens to be a solicitor, as I couldn't afford to pay the rent the lease was cancelled (I forgot the correct term), and during a search on companies house, I found out that the company was struck off in June.

Please help, I've had a terrible year this would be the fresh start I need, to move on and try to forget all the grief from the business.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Virgo_Mermaid
HI, I really need some advise fast!

I've finally been offered a job as trainee on the NHS... They ask for references to cover 3 years of employment... I've got references to cover 12 years of employment even, except a year ago I was self employed, and they asked me to send HMRC letter to proof business was conducted properly conducted.

I had an accountant at the beginning and he set the company (after I started trading as a sole trader), He registered me for corporation tax and PAYE, I was taking the minimum salary as the only employee, but only on paper, (pay slips) I wasn't making enough to cover the costs, so after 8 months I ceased trading, I didn't file corporation tax as the relationship with the accountant went sour because I didn't agree with his work ethics, I've done my tax return a few weeks ago, and I've just filled for bankruptcy as I was drowning in debts.

I don't know how to proof to them, I don't want them to contact my accountant because I don't trust him, they've also mentioned bankers, Obviously my account was overdrawn up until the bankruptcy, and I also don't want to get my landlord involved which happens to be a solicitor, as I couldn't afford to pay the rent the lease was cancelled (I forgot the correct term), and during a search on companies house, I found out that the company was struck off in June.

Please help, I've had a terrible year this would be the fresh start I need, to move on and try to forget all the grief from the business.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you

I'd start with being honest and explaining the situation to them. If what you're saying is true you can presumably prove all of this through paper trails. You can also ask if they're happy to hear from one of your customers or someone you worked with maybe?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending