The Student Room Group

He changes his mind about breaking up with me

I've been with my partner for 18 months. I had a student accommodation at the start but he encouraged me to give it up and move in with him. The relationship has had some great times however it has been very rocky and turbulent. To start with there is an age gap and he has children from a previous marriage and doesn't want to start over. He worries I'm going to leave and go off with someone else one day for this reason. He's incredibly insecure about this even though it would be his choice not to want other things.

He dislikes me being on Facebook saying I spend too much time on it. He can also be incredibly critical of many things which slowly erodes at my self esteem. On one occasion he blew up at me over a guy liking my profile picture. He accused me of wanting attention from other men even though this is far from the truth. He told me to leave and said it was over between us.

We later reconciled and I tried to forget the incident. He recently accused me of having a Twitter account even though I'm not even signed up with it. He adamantly refused to believe me and the next morning left a note in the bedroom saying "this isn't working, time to move on." It was so awful because I had to go out that day I had an appointment with my university tutor and was busy most of the afternoon.

When I got back to gather my things it was only another hour until he would be home from work. I decided to start packing and then wait for him to get back. As soon as he walked in he had a solemn look on his face and said 70% of him wanted to hold me in his arms and not see me go. Started to cry. Then ended up saying we can give the relationship another chance if I "change my ways."

It's so hard to leave because I do love him a lot despite the difficulties, but it's getting beyond ridiculous. I know deep down this isn't healthy at all.
(edited 6 years ago)
It is not healthy at all. I know it is hard but you must go. If you are unsure of where you can go, always speak to someone at your uni and explain. They should be able to help you at least with accommodation or emotionally
Reply 2
He has to come to terms with the fact that you might leave him, instead of trying the control the things you do and who you interact with.
I used to be like him, i has a bad relationship and carried everything over from that into my new relationship, i got angry and jealous all the time. Once i evaluated everything i came to realise if he cheats/leaves there isn't anyway to control that. I was making us both miserable and just looking for something to be wrong in the relationship.
Now I enjoy the relationship and if it ends for some reason thats okay. I would rather enjoy what i have, than spend my time looking for a problem.
(edited 6 years ago)
He seems so controlling and emotionally manipulative. He has problems which he has convinced you seem like they stem from you. He's looking for a way to emotionally damage you (e.g breaking up with you and then sulking to get you back). It's a way to control you.
Please get out of this abusive relationship. It is going to cause you so much pain in the end. How dare he accuse you of any of these things, he is not trusting at all. I can't imagine what he does if you don't reply on a busy day or a night out with your friends.
Reply 4
What and it's been like this for 18 months or just recently? If it's always been this way, you have to make it clear to him that certain things need to change or else.
Reply 5
**** me, get rid, you'll be much happier, seriously. Plenty better and more appropriate fish in the sea.
Original post by jellybabies22
I've been with my partner for 18 months. I had a student accommodation at the start but he encouraged me to give it up and move in with him. The relationship has had some great times however it has been very rocky and turbulent. To start with there is an age gap and he has children from a previous marriage and doesn't want to start over. He worries I'm going to leave and go off with someone else one day for this reason. He's incredibly insecure about this even though it would be his choice not to want other things.

He dislikes me being on Facebook saying I spend too much time on it. He can also be incredibly critical of many things which slowly erodes at my self esteem. On one occasion he blew up at me over a guy liking my profile picture. He accused me of wanting attention from other men even though this is far from the truth. He told me to leave and said it was over between us.

We later reconciled and I tried to forget the incident. He recently accused me of having a Twitter account even though I'm not even signed up with it. He adamantly refused to believe me and the next morning left a note in the bedroom saying "this isn't working, time to move on." It was so awful because I had to go out that day I had an appointment with my university tutor and was busy most of the afternoon.

When I got back to gather my things it was only another hour until he would be home from work. I decided to start packing and then wait for him to get back. As soon as he walked in he had a solemn look on his face and said 70% of him wanted to hold me in his arms and not see me go. Started to cry. Then ended up saying we can give the relationship another chance if I "change my ways."

It's so hard to leave because I do love him a lot despite the difficulties, but it's getting beyond ridiculous. I know deep down this isn't healthy at all.

Dont go with him. A relationship like this is built on trust and if he cant accept ur ways... and what u do... it is ur life. . He needs to accept that. . It is ridiculous dont do it
Reply 7
It sounds like he has not dealt with issues from his previous relationships and it's horribly affecting yours. Truthfully, this is not healthy for either of you. I think you need to end it.
Original post by jellybabies22

Oh my god get out seriously, he sounds like a control freak

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending