The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hi thanks for sharing information. Would you please send me some 2 year course outlines or workbook to see if it will be ok for me or not as I am working as band 4 so I can start from second year. thanks
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
You can look at the stage 2 outline on the OU website, stage 2 is made up of 2 theory modules human biology or science of the mind if you are mental health and a module called perspectives on health and illness. There is also a practice module in stage 2 which is made up of 3 assignments, an online assessment and your ptactice portfolio. Hope this helps!
Original post by vgulzar
Hi thanks for sharing information. Would you please send me some 2 year course outlines or workbook to see if it will be ok for me or not as I am working as band 4 so I can start from second year. thanks
Hi, thanks for loss of useful information.I’m thinking of doing the ou nursing degree, going to ask my employer to support me on Monday.Where can I find all the information for placements etc.For example, do we go on placement, how long do we go on placement for etc.Thanks in advance.
You will go on placement and complete the practical hours that are required by the NMC. The open University will arrange your placements. The bulk of your placement hours probably will be done in your base area (wherever you work now) but alternative placements will be arranged too so that you gain a range of experience (inpatient, medical, surgical and community). Placements range from 5 to 12 weeks, you are provided with a planner at the beginning of each stage of the course which tells you when your placements are.
Original post by Bonitas_123
Hi, thanks for loss of useful information.I’m thinking of doing the ou nursing degree, going to ask my employer to support me on Monday.Where can I find all the information for placements etc.For example, do we go on placement, how long do we go on placement for etc.Thanks in advance.
AMazing!!! Thanks.
Currently working inn gp practice, so looking forward to the placements.
Original post by Pennyjoann
You will go on placement and complete the practical hours that are required by the NMC. The open University will arrange your placements. The bulk of your placement hours probably will be done in your base area (wherever you work now) but alternative placements will be arranged too so that you gain a range of experience (inpatient, medical, surgical and community). Placements range from 5 to 12 weeks, you are provided with a planner at the beginning of each stage of the course which tells you when your placements are.
You're welcome 😁 good luck! The placements are fab, really great to get a perspective from other healthcare settings.
Original post by Bonitas_123
AMazing!!! Thanks.
Currently working inn gp practice, so looking forward to the placements.
Reply 26
Please just wanna know i am about to start nursing with the open university,when you fininsh the programme,how do i become a registered nurse?
Original post by Yve84
Please just wanna know i am about to start nursing with the open university,when you fininsh the programme,how do i become a registered nurse?

When you pass your degree you will be able to register with the NMC, once you're registered you'll get your pin and be able to practice as a nurse :biggrin: I'm sure uni and your employer will guide you, I'm in stage 2 so I'm not there yet!

P.s good luck with your studies! ^_^
Reply 28
Hello, I’m sorry to jump in also but I’m also looking at the Nursing Degree with OU. I do not have Level 2 maths but have 7 years clinical experience. Based in Theatres, on Hospital Wards, community care and currently phlebotomist and advanced HCA in GP Practice. Everywhere asks for level 2 maths but OU said I should still apply based on my experience despite only having level 1 maths. Has anyone done the same? I am struggling to find night schools locally for maths. Thanks so much x
Check with the OU, unless things have changed the level 2 maths is an NMC requirement and not the university. BUT lots of things are changing right now in nursing education so I would just ask the OU to clarify.
I had to do my level 2 functional skills in maths and it was done through my NHS trust, if you work at a trust speak to your education team they might be able to put you in touch with someone about maths qualifications. Hope this helps a bit ^_^ x
Reply 30
Original post by Pennyjoann
When you pass your degree you will be able to register with the NMC, once you're registered you'll get your pin and be able to practice as a nurse :biggrin: I'm sure uni and your employer will guide you, I'm in stage 2 so I'm not there yet!

P.s good luck with your studies! ^_^

Thanks for the reply,i decided to do a foundation course in health and social care for 2 years then use that to start a nursing course from year 2,the self study won't work for me cos i have 2 little kids and a part time job.
You're welcome, and

Original post by Yve84
Thanks for the reply,i decided to do a foundation course in health and social care for 2 years then use that to start a nursing course from year 2,the self study won't work for me cos i have 2 little kids and a part time job.

You're welcome, and that's so great 😁 wishing you well on your nursing journey! I will say though if you ever do reconsider OU, many people do it because it allows much more flexibility than brick unis. Uni fits around your life and not the other way around!
I am a HCSW based in south Wales I'm considering applying for the OU programme. Do you know when they start taking applications for this course and do you get paid your full pay doing this. Thanks
Hi I'm a HCSW in south Wales could you tell me when you applied to the OU and do you keep your full pay whilst studying?
Original post by Celiawillz97
Hi I'm a HCSW in south Wales could you tell me when you applied to the OU and do you keep your full pay whilst studying?

Hey!
I applied in January 2017 for September 2017 intake, my trust told me I couldn't apply before then.
You should speak to your trust about it though, some might do it differently or start at different times in the year.

And yes you still get your full HCSW pay whilst studying, my trust doesn't give us enhanced pay (weekends and nights) whilst on placement in our student nurse roles, but again this might vary with different trusts!

Good luck :biggrin:
Hi, I currently work in two jobs, one for the NHS and one for a GP practice, do you know if this will be accepted? Thanks
Original post by Ana Meech
Hi, I currently work in two jobs, one for the NHS and one for a GP practice, do you know if this will be accepted? Thanks

I don't know, maybe speak directly to the open university? They will be able to advise you 😊
Hi, I’m currently a band 3 generic support worker in the nhs, I have come from the district nursing team and also worked as a band 3 in mental health for a different trust. Last year I passed level 2 functional skills maths and got my final exam next week for level 2 English. Would I be able to apply for my nursing degree with these? I got told if I do it through my trust I would have to do the diploma 3 first then the nursing associate training and then an extra year to be a band 5, I’d rather just crack on with the nursing degree if I can. Any advice would be appreciated.
Original post by Di.pieee
Hi, I’m currently a band 3 generic support worker in the nhs, I have come from the district nursing team and also worked as a band 3 in mental health for a different trust. Last year I passed level 2 functional skills maths and got my final exam next week for level 2 English. Would I be able to apply for my nursing degree with these? I got told if I do it through my trust I would have to do the diploma 3 first then the nursing associate training and then an extra year to be a band 5, I’d rather just crack on with the nursing degree if I can. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi :smile: I assume every trust is different, but the open university doesn't require you to have a level 3 diploma or to do the nurse associate training. When I was accepted onto the course I was in a band 2 post, was up to date with my mandatory training, had GCSE English and functional skills in maths. The open university accepts level 2 in maths and English as do many brick universities now.

The open university nursing programme is a 4 year course and I don't think they currently do a top up course for nurse associates (not to say they won't in the future). Hope this helps!
Thank you. I will have a word with my trust to see if they will support me doing it through open university as I’m a mature student with children and can’t leave work to go to uni full time 🙂

Latest