The Student Room Group

Resitting certain AS maths modules.

Is Oxford fine with people redoing some modules for maths a level? I have an A over all in maths and further maths, however I would want to redo FP1 (since I completely messed that up) and C2 possibly. Would that put me at a disadvantage??

Scroll to see replies

I highly doubt it puts you at a disadvantage.

I have friends who are retaking some maths modules in which they achieved an A. They are retaking because they want to get their UMS up from 80-something to 90-something. To me, that shows that they are striving to be even better. I'm sure universities like that attitude.
You're following the linear or modular system and did A2 modules in first year?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Vikingninja
You're following the linear or modular system and did A2 modules in first year?

Nope I'm following the modular system still, and I did an AS in maths and further maths, however I did really badly in one of the modules (FP1) and might want to retake another (C2) and I was wondering if unis would look down on that or not?
Original post by SixthAge
I highly doubt it puts you at a disadvantage.

I have friends who are retaking some maths modules in which they achieved an A. They are retaking because they want to get their UMS up from 80-something to 90-something. To me, that shows that they are striving to be even better. I'm sure universities like that attitude.

That's good to know :biggrin: I've just heard horror stories of unis not liking it when people took another year at college/sixth form so I was just worried if that applied to AS modules in maths or not
Original post by SlashaRussia
Nope I'm following the modular system still, and I did an AS in maths and further maths, however I did really badly in one of the modules (FP1) and might want to retake another (C2) and I was wondering if unis would look down on that or not?

What was it that you got in them? Also are you doing FP modules instead of mechanics and stats?
What was it that you got in them? Also are you doing FP modules instead of mechanics and stats?

I got a C in FP1, so I really would like to resit this one badly. For C2 I got a B (slightly surprised/disappointed). I'm aiming for an A* in at least maths A level, hopefully further maths too, so I'm just worried that these results will hold me back.

And nope, I did this year C1, C2, S1 for AS in maths, and then FP1, M1 and D1 for AS in further maths. Sorry for any confusion!
I got a C in FP1, so I really would like to resit this one badly. For C2 I got a B (slightly surprised/disappointed). I'm aiming for an A* in at least maths A level, hopefully further maths too, so I'm just worried that these results will hold me back.

And nope, I did this year C1, C2, S1 for AS in maths, and then FP1, M1 and D1 for AS in further maths. Sorry for any confusion!

I'm in the same boat, I got an A in all my maths exams apart from a D in FP1. As long as we do well in the retake, the results won't hold us back.
I'm in the same boat, I got an A in all my maths exams apart from a D in FP1. As long as we do well in the retake, the results won't hold us back.

I'm so annoyed I messed up FP1 since I was hoping for no retakes and I thought I was better than C grade at it, but as long as it won't hold us back or anything then I'll re take it. :biggrin: That's good to know :biggrin:

assuming you got an A in AS maths, you don't need to retake C2 again for an overall A*. to get an A* in maths you need C3+C4=180 ums and the rest of your modules to equate to an A.
Original post by ozilll
assuming you got an A in AS maths, you don't need to retake C2 again for an overall A*. to get an A* in maths you need C3+C4=180 ums and the rest of your modules to equate to an A.

Surely you need at least 540 UMS for the A* though? (90 UMS average in 6 modules). What you're saying would mean you'd only need 500 UMS.
Original post by ozilll

So do the rest of the modules have to average out to an A each? So if I got really high UMS in m1 for example, it could bring up the average for my c2 ums?

AS-level grades and UMS points are not an essential part of our admissions process, and our entry requirements and offers will not specify the need for particular AS module grades. We find them to be a less useful measure than predicted or achieved A2 results and GCSE performance, partly because not all applicants will have AS results. Where AS-level grades are available, these can give us confidence that an applicant is working well towards their A2 examinations, especially in a candidate who has underperformed at GCSE. Performing less well than you would have liked at AS is not necessarily a barrier to making a competitive application if your teachers are confident that you will achieve the required A2 grades for your course. Since we don’t ask for UMS points, you may decide only to retake modules if necessary to secure the required A or A* grade at A2. If you will be retaking AS units alongside your A2 examinations, then you should disclose this on your UCAS application. On the whole, candidates who need retakes in order to achieve an A* or A have a lower chance of being offered a place. Nevertheless, we recognise that students sometimes fail to achieve their potential on their first attempt at school or college because of circumstances beyond their control. Examples would include disruption caused by change of school or college or system, severe discontinuity of teachers, bereavement and one-off debilitating illness. We take care to treat each application individually and would always take such mitigating circumstances into account if they are brought to our attention: a clear note should be made of these circumstances in the UCAS personal statement or school reference. However, while difficult personal circumstances will be taken into account, they do not guarantee shortlisting for interview or lead to a lower conditional offer. Conditional offers are almost always for between A*A*A and AAA at A-level, depending on the course applied for.

Take note of the above from the oxford results page. The predicted grade is more important but it would be very hard for them to give an A* recommendation.
AS-level grades and UMS points are not an essential part of our admissions process, and our entry requirements and offers will not specify the need for particular AS module grades. We find them to be a less useful measure than predicted or achieved A2 results and GCSE performance, partly because not all applicants will have AS results. Where AS-level grades are available, these can give us confidence that an applicant is working well towards their A2 examinations, especially in a candidate who has underperformed at GCSE. Performing less well than you would have liked at AS is not necessarily a barrier to making a competitive application if your teachers are confident that you will achieve the required A2 grades for your course. Since we don’t ask for UMS points, you may decide only to retake modules if necessary to secure the required A or A* grade at A2. If you will be retaking AS units alongside your A2 examinations, then you should disclose this on your UCAS application. On the whole, candidates who need retakes in order to achieve an A* or A have a lower chance of being offered a place. Nevertheless, we recognise that students sometimes fail to achieve their potential on their first attempt at school or college because of circumstances beyond their control. Examples would include disruption caused by change of school or college or system, severe discontinuity of teachers, bereavement and one-off debilitating illness. We take care to treat each application individually and would always take such mitigating circumstances into account if they are brought to our attention: a clear note should be made of these circumstances in the UCAS personal statement or school reference. However, while difficult personal circumstances will be taken into account, they do not guarantee shortlisting for interview or lead to a lower conditional offer. Conditional offers are almost always for between A*A*A and AAA at A-level, depending on the course applied for.

Take note of the above from the oxford results page. The predicted grade is more important but it would be very hard for them to give an A* recommendation.

Thanks! :biggrin: I think I'll definitely still resit FP1 due to UMS points and what not just so I have a better chance at a higher grade next year, but I might hold back on C2 then maybe. When school starts I'll go talk to my teacher and see what he thinks I should do.
Surely you need at least 540 UMS for the A* though? (90 UMS average in 6 modules). What you're saying would mean you'd only need 500 UMS.

Which is correct, you need 80% overall and 90% in A2.
Thanks! :biggrin: I think I'll definitely still resit FP1 due to UMS points and what not just so I have a better chance at a higher grade next year, but I might hold back on C2 then maybe. When school starts I'll go talk to my teacher and see what he thinks I should do.

Take note that the oxbridge deadline for UCAS is much earlier than other unis so you will need to make the decision quick upon returning since you've got 4 other unis to decide. It will be very hard to apply since it's competitive for those with A's as well.
Which is correct, you need 80% overall and 90% in A2.

OK, so at AS I got 85 in C1, 93 in C2 and 93 in S1. If for A2 I got 80 in D1, 85 in C3 and 95 in C4, would that be enough for A*? That would only be 531 UMS but they are all A grades, and I would have the required 90 UMS in C3 and C4.
(edited 6 years ago)
OK, so at AS I got 85 in C1, 93 in C2 and 93 in S1. If for A2 I got 80 in D1, 85 in C3 and 95 in C4, would that be enough for A*? That would only be 531 UMS but they are all A grades.

Yes since you got 90% in your A2 modules (d1 isn't A2). You only need 480 overall.
Yes since you got 90% in your A2 modules (d1 isn't A2).

Yeah, for some reason my school does D1 (AS) in the second year and S2 (A2) in the first year.

For A* in maths A-level, you need 480/600 UMS across all 6 modules, with 180/200 UMS total in C3 and C4.

EDIT: never mind, previous poster has already pointed this out. I hadn't refreshed page smh
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest