The Student Room Group

Road to Veterinary Medicine - AS Level

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lemur14
Thanks :smile: Yeah it's just frustrating as it was one mark off what my teacher considers an acceptable grade, but since it wasn't then he put my effort down to like a 3 (out of 4) when it wasn't even that bad. We have another test the second week back though so I need to make sure I smash that one to bring it back up (only to a 2 most likely as to get a 1 you have to get an A* in your tests :grumble: but a 2 is seen as great and 3 as really unacceptable at my college for some reason)
Yeah I broke up on Friday :smile: Advantage of being in a college that chooses their terms...teachers are in this week but we're not :woo:
How long have you got left?

I've got this week left, then I have two weeks off and then mocks when I get back :angry:.

My school only goes up to As in tests for AS :frown:
Original post by OrangeArcher
I've got this week left, then I have two weeks off and then mocks when I get back :angry:.

My school only goes up to As in tests for AS :frown:

At least you have the full 2 weeks off...I know schools who break up on Friday and are back on the 2nd :redface:
Most my teachers only do up to A, but my computing teacher doesn't for some reason, just to confuse matters!
Original post by Lemur14
At least you have the full 2 weeks off...I know schools who break up on Friday and are back on the 2nd :redface:
Most my teachers only do up to A, but my computing teacher doesn't for some reason, just to confuse matters!

I need to fit in a work experience during my Christmas holidays as well :frown: I have managed to get two weeks of lambing during easter which is a plus I guess. Have you had your mock results back yet (you have sat your mocks already haven't you?! I'm hoping I've got the correct person :redface:).
I need to fit in a work experience during my Christmas holidays as well :frown: I have managed to get two weeks of lambing during easter which is a plus I guess. Have you had your mock results back yet (you have sat your mocks already haven't you?! I'm hoping I've got the correct person :redface:).

What are you planning to do for work experience?
Original post by DeepInTheMeadow
What are you planning to do for work experience?

I've visited a rabbit and guinea pig rescue that I just need to ask if the dates I have picked are suitable. I also have two more mixed practices booked in for summer, hopefully an equine vet clinic in feb, the lambing for two weeks in easter, hopefully a week (only some of these) at a birds of prey centre, equestrian centre, suckler herd, dog kennels, vets 4 pets/groomers and then a day at an abattoir and lab (I really hope I can get these two).

Ahhh that makes it difficult! I'm worrying enough about fitting in rehearsals with stuff I really need to get done on here before the new term (as there's no way I'll get it done when we go back), and homework as well as rest, let alone including work experience with that!
It's really great you're doing so much work experience though!
I haven't done any actual mocks yet. We have some more important exams in January, not sure if we're joining in with mock fortnight in February or if that's just second years, progression exams in April then ASs for maths and further maths in May. No worries though there's so many people on here, I'm always confusing people!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lemur14
Ahhh that makes it difficult! I'm worrying enough about fitting in rehearsals with stuff I really need to get done on here before the new term (as there's no way I'll get it done when we go back), and homework as well as rest, let alone including work experience with that!
It's really great you're doing so much work experience though!
I haven't done any actual mocks yet. We have some more important exams in January, not sure if we're joining in with mock fortnight in February or if that's just second years, progression exams in April then ASs for maths and further maths in May. No worries though there's so many people on here, I'm always confusing people!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry about confusing you with someone else :colondollar: I feel like there is so much to do and I only have 9-10 months till I apply to uni :redface:. I've decided tonight that I'm going to have a break from studying as I'm knackered at the minute.
Sorry about confusing you with someone else :colondollar: I feel like there is so much to do and I only have 9-10 months till I apply to uni :redface:. I've decided tonight that I'm going to have a break from studying as I'm knackered at the minute.

No worries :smile: Yeah I feel the same! in 10 months our application will have been submitted :shock:
Very wise decision! I did nothing all weekend and then today have only done careers homework (yes we got a massive pile of that for Christmas...what fun(!)) so not really much brain power required which is good. Taking a break is very important, hope you enjoyed it :smile:
Original post by Lemur14
No worries :smile: Yeah I feel the same! in 10 months our application will have been submitted :shock:
Very wise decision! I did nothing all weekend and then today have only done careers homework (yes we got a massive pile of that for Christmas...what fun(!)) so not really much brain power required which is good. Taking a break is very important, hope you enjoyed it :smile:

Yeah, I have enjoyed it. I have been trying to organise all my sheets and my room now looks like a mess and I'm going to have to finish it off tomorrow.
Yeah, I have enjoyed it. I have been trying to organise all my sheets and my room now looks like a mess and I'm going to have to finish it off tomorrow.

Good :smile: I'm ignoring the fact my stuff needs organising...Really don't want to organise it as everything is a mess from the last few weeks of term :getmecoat:
And my room...just don't get me started as to how messy that it :lol: It has got better since the end of GCSEs, but there's still a long way to go and I just don't have time to properly deep clean it :hide:
Original post by Lemur14
Good :smile: I'm ignoring the fact my stuff needs organising...Really don't want to organise it as everything is a mess from the last few weeks of term :getmecoat:
And my room...just don't get me started as to how messy that it :lol: It has got better since the end of GCSEs, but there's still a long way to go and I just don't have time to properly deep clean it :hide:

Neither of my parents did A-levels or went to university and when I say I don't have time to clean my room they seem to think that the hour or so a night I spend chilling on my phone before doing work could be spent tidying my room :frown:
Neither of my parents did A-levels or went to university and when I say I don't have time to clean my room they seem to think that the hour or so a night I spend chilling on my phone before doing work could be spent tidying my room :frown:

Ahh that's annoying. My parents both went to uni etc. so they think they understand, except my dad is one of those people who reads through the textbook once and remembers everything so he thinks I have time for other stuff, and my mum only took 3 so she also thinks I have spare time...thankfully as long as my mess is kept in my room they're relatively ok with that particular aspect of it.
They don't quite get the need to have time off when I come home from school though...like I've been working 9-4:15, let me have some food and some time off before I go back to the grind :grumble:
Sorry that wasn't meant to turn into a rant!
Original post by Lemur14
Ahh that's annoying. My parents both went to uni etc. so they think they understand, except my dad is one of those people who reads through the textbook once and remembers everything so he thinks I have time for other stuff, and my mum only took 3 so she also thinks I have spare time...thankfully as long as my mess is kept in my room they're relatively ok with that particular aspect of it.
They don't quite get the need to have time off when I come home from school though...like I've been working 9-4:15, let me have some food and some time off before I go back to the grind :grumble:
Sorry that wasn't meant to turn into a rant!

I loved reading your mini rant :smile:
I've been pretty inactive lately as I was ill the fist week of Christmas holidays and the second week I was organising all my work and I was revising for my mocks. I ended up throwing out a vet reference and they are trying to find a copy on their computer system, but it's not looking promising... I may have to not put this practice down which is annoying as it's my own fault, but you learn from your mistakes.

I had my biology (1A, 1B, 2A, 2B and 2C) mock today (90 mins and 75 marks) and I managed to answer everything but I don't know how well it has gone. I also had my maths mock (pure and mechanics, 90 mins and 67 marks) and I tried to answer as much as possible but I have screwed it up super bad. I have my further maths mock tomorrow (further pure, 90 mins) and my chemistry mock on Friday (atomic structure, amount of substance, bonding, energetics and kinetics, 90 mins and 75 marks - I believe) so it's a fun next couple of days. I've been doing some quick sheets of notes for FM that I can look over for tomorrow but I still need to do all of complex numbers :frown:.

I have started my application for Sutton trust summer schools and have talked with my biology teacher and we both agree RVC is the best for me to apply to as it has the most places, however, my school name isn't being accepted so I've had to email support. I have also booked 2 weeks lambing in Easter which should be fun (1200 ewes).

I think that's it for now so yeah.
:h: Hi you!

I'm not sure if it's me but your recent update sounded a little tired! Don't be discouraged, you've got a long journey to walk and your hard work will all be worth it! Remember to take breaks, I hope it all goes well with the mocks. I applied for one of the Sutton Trust Summer Schools last year too, i applied for the Cambridge one and they ended up giving me an alternative (Experience Cambridge for like 2 days). I don't know if they do anything for VetMed but have a look at UNIQ, it's a Oxford summer school which is fully funded I remember. When I applied for the medicine summer school, they also offered an alternative(worth a try!) where they actually asked me to stay there for 2 days, 1 night for like a taster course/day. I wasn't able to attend due to some family stuff going on but keep looking at summer schools, they're actually so fun and a great way to meet new people who are going through everything you're going through too.
Original post by IneffableLife
:h: Hi you!

I'm not sure if it's me but your recent update sounded a little tired! Don't be discouraged, you've got a long journey to walk and your hard work will all be worth it! Remember to take breaks, I hope it all goes well with the mocks. I applied for one of the Sutton Trust Summer Schools last year too, i applied for the Cambridge one and they ended up giving me an alternative (Experience Cambridge for like 2 days). I don't know if they do anything for VetMed but have a look at UNIQ, it's a Oxford summer school which is fully funded I remember. When I applied for the medicine summer school, they also offered an alternative(worth a try!) where they actually asked me to stay there for 2 days, 1 night for like a taster course/day. I wasn't able to attend due to some family stuff going on but keep looking at summer schools, they're actually so fun and a great way to meet new people who are going through everything you're going through too.

I've applied to RVC for Sutton trust today and I had a look at UNIQ for biology as they don't do vet med but I've decided not to apply.
I've applied to RVC for Sutton trust today and I had a look at UNIQ for biology as they don't do vet med but I've decided not to apply.

You could also try applying to university of London taster courses for RVC as that's what I did last year - it's a free, two day taster course in April that you have to be selected for. It was really fun and informative, way more hands on than I thought it'd be and I met some great people there who I've bumped into now at interviews and so on :smile: I'll see if I can find a link for you if you're interested!
Original post by luberry
You could also try applying to university of London taster courses for RVC as that's what I did last year - it's a free, two day taster course in April that you have to be selected for. It was really fun and informative, way more hands on than I thought it'd be and I met some great people there who I've bumped into now at interviews and so on :smile: I'll see if I can find a link for you if you're interested!

That sounds really fun and interesting, only problem is that I have two weeks lambing booked over april/Easter holidays (I haven't done any lambing yet) so I need to try and do as much time lambing as possible to try and boost my application.

Okie dokie! Good luck regardless.
I thought I would add that my further maths mock went awful today (not really a surprise tbh). I forgot how to do so many things and some of the questions were just ugh. The mock was 58 marks and a 75 minute exam(we were given 90 minutes) and I can comfortably say the max I have got is 1/3 - 1/2 marks so I'm screwed 😌 maybe I should just drop it now 😆.

I've.been doing some chem revision but I'm not prepared for the mock tomorrow at all 😋 my life's not amazing at the minute as you can probably tell from my last few updates. Can't wait for my mock results of DEEU (if I'm lucky, if I'm not lucky then it could be from EEUU-UUUU).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending