The Student Room Group

Jobs with best earning potential

What jobs have the best earning potential? I am trying to choose the correct uni course but am unsure what to pick. Salary is one of my main priorities as I don't really have a 'dream' job and just want to ensure I choose a course that will have good earning potential.

I am doing Maths, Geography and Biology for A2 (Hoping for AAA, have a B in AS Physics)

I have considered mechanical and aerospace engineering since medicine is out of the question but have read several articles saying it is an underpaid field and am unsure whether to pursue this course or choose another one.

Any help is highly appreciated.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by KeenLearner99
What jobs have the best earning potential? I am trying to choose the correct uni course but am unsure what to pick. Salary is one of my main priorities as I don't really have a 'dream' job and just want to ensure I choose a course that will have good earning potential.

I am doing Maths, Geography and Biology for A2 (Hoping for AAA, have a B in AS Physics)

I have considered mechanical and aerospace engineering since medicine is out of the question but have read several articles saying it is an underpaid field and am unsure whether to pursue this course or choose another one.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Investment banking. And the best part about it is that you can study any course you want and still be one.
Original post by ihatehannah
Investment banking. And the best part about it is that you can study any course you want and still be one.

I was considering investment banking but as J-SP mentioned it seems extremely difficult to get into. You can really study any course? So if I studied mechanical engineering and got a degree in that I could still become an investment banker?
Reply 3
Jobs with the best earning potential are those where you are self employed.., there is no cap on your earnings

if you want to "get rich" your best bet would be to start learning the skills the make your own business or some other profession where you don't have to answer to no one.

Investment banking is probably one of the few professions where you can get "rich" and be working for someone else.
I was considering investment banking but as J-SP mentioned it seems extremely difficult to get into. You can really study any course? So if I studied mechanical engineering and got a degree in that I could still become an investment banker?

Yeah, it does not matter what degree you do. Investment banking is definitely competitive, failing that there are many jobs in finance which pay handsomely such as consultancy and asset management. I would recommend during uni applying for as many internships as you can to places like IB, consultancy etc so the chances of you getting an internship for one of them will be higher. Just make sure you go to a top 10 uni and have a range of experience, volunteering work and extra curricular, then you should be fine.
Money money money all anybody cares about. Just think why do u want money its in the pursuit of hapiness but a high paid job isnt the only way to get it. Get a job u enjoy. Enjoyment>money
Original post by beastmode1
Money money money all anybody cares about. Just think why do u want money its in the pursuit of hapiness but a high paid job isnt the only way to get it. Get a job u enjoy. Enjoyment>money

If you want money for the sake of money, your not living.
You don't need money to live, just enjoy the *****y time you have spent alive doing something.
Im not saying u should be poor either im not even saying money isnt important. I was looking at jobs in investment banking/ finance jobs and i will personally probably not go into that field just becuase of the incredibly long hours and emmense stress. However some may thrive on that and find jobs like that very very enjoyable. But dont lie to yourself and please dont start a career with purely money as ur sole motivator
You should probably have a motivation other than money for your intended career OP. All the jobs that pay very well either require solid technical skills or a negatively impacted work life balance.

I'd suggest looking at your interests then working from there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
You should probably have a motivation other than money for your intended career OP. All the jobs that pay very well either require solid technical skills or a negatively impacted work life balance.

I'd suggest looking at your interests then working from there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do understand what everyone is saying but I'm not just a money hungry s*** lol. I am unsure what course to go for as I don't really have a passion for anything atm, I will only know once I start a course whether I like it or not. Having said that I am a logical thinker and excel at maths and science so applying for mechanical engineering and later going into IB might be a good choice?

Really appreciate all the replies, choosing a career is so bloody hard lol

Edit: The uni I am looking to apply to is Queen's University Belfast, just incase this changes anything.
(edited 6 years ago)
I do understand what everyone is saying but I'm not just a money hungry s*** lol. I am unsure what course to go for as I don't really have a passion for anything atm, I will only know once I start a course whether I like it or not. Having said that I am a logical thinker and excel at maths and science so applying for mechanical engineering and later going into IB might be a good choice?

Really appreciate all the replies, choosing a career is so bloody hard lol

Edit: The uni I am looking to apply to is Queen's University Belfast, just incase this changes anything.

You need to be going to one of the very best unis. Ib is very eliteist. They target oxbridge lse ucl icl warwick. Did u go to a private school that can help. Does ur dad work in the industry that helps greatly too. Make sure u buy a really expensive suit when u go for an interview. Dont wear brown shoes otherwise they will instantly reject regardless of how good a candidate u are.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending