The Student Room Group

Privacy violation

Hi everyone, so I live in student halls, moved from one room to another and last night at 3am security walked into my room unannounced to put some starter boxes for new residents who will be coming in September. I am a summer student and changed rooms over the last few days. So anyways he walks in and I'm half naked in bed at 3am and he begins debating my residency in this room. 3 in the fking morning when I've gotta be up for work at 5!! So anyways he's shut my door and left and I messaged the accommodation team and they admit it's their fault that they didn't update their sheet and gave the security an old sheet hence my room was on a list. Is there anything I can do? They want to meet me on Monday to give me an apology but I honestly don't feel safe in what I thought was my own space, sounds silly but seriously :/ thank you
Reply 1
Original post by Ravannn
Hi everyone, so I live in student halls, moved from one room to another and last night at 3am security walked into my room unannounced to put some starter boxes for new residents who will be coming in September. I am a summer student and changed rooms over the last few days. So anyways he walks in and I'm half naked in bed at 3am and he begins debating my residency in this room. 3 in the fking morning when I've gotta be up for work at 5!! So anyways he's shut my door and left and I messaged the accommodation team and they admit it's their fault that they didn't update their sheet and gave the security an old sheet hence my room was on a list. Is there anything I can do? They want to meet me on Monday to give me an apology but I honestly don't feel safe in what I thought was my own space, sounds silly but seriously :/ thank you

Hi there,

This sounds like such an annoying situation. Did they knock? Did they just walk in, or did they use keys to unlock your room and then enter?

You should possibly think about furthering your complaint. It is not okay to have been argued with at that time, especially considering it was a complete stranger. The accommodation people have admitted fault, so if you wanted to, you could request that your complaint be moved up the line. You may not receive much from it, but you could feel more confident that the matter was taken seriously, as it seems like it has shaken you.

Your safety and comfort is important - that is what the University is paying the accommodation people to look after, so you are well within your rights to be mad about this!

Hope this helps!
Original post by Ravannn

Take a copy of your contract with you to the meeting as extra proof of their violation of any of the terms. Ask about their formal complaints procedure, and try to get what is said and/or promised in the meeting in writing or recorded in some way, so that they can't side-step anything later.

At the end of the day, they are completely at fault, and should accept full responsibility.
yes its their fault they want to express regret what more do you want. it was a mistake.
Reply 4
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Take a copy of your contract with you to the meeting as extra proof of their violation of any of the terms. Ask about their formal complaints procedure, and try to get what is said and/or promised in the meeting in writing or recorded in some way, so that they can't side-step anything later.

At the end of the day, they are completely at fault, and should accept full responsibility.

What would I expect for them to say that I would need in writing ? I'm definitely going to complain I'm working Monday and Tuesday though so I will be meeting with them on Wednesday, thank you.
Reply 5
Original post by dmrich
Hi there,

This sounds like such an annoying situation. Did they knock? Did they just walk in, or did they use keys to unlock your room and then enter?

You should possibly think about furthering your complaint. It is not okay to have been argued with at that time, especially considering it was a complete stranger. The accommodation people have admitted fault, so if you wanted to, you could request that your complaint be moved up the line. You may not receive much from it, but you could feel more confident that the matter was taken seriously, as it seems like it has shaken you.

Your safety and comfort is important - that is what the University is paying the accommodation people to look after, so you are well within your rights to be mad about this!

Hope this helps!

Hi thanks for replying, he unlocked my door from the outside and walked in, I always lock my door I've literally put my suitcase and filled it back up with clothes to block the door last night, I don't feel safe, they're private halls not uni ones but cost abit more but are for uni students. I'm definitely going to complain formally I just don't think it's right, thank you for your advice!
Reply 6
Original post by paulbarlow
yes its their fault they want to express regret what more do you want. it was a mistake.

If this happened to you I'm sure you wouldn't not be saying this, disappear thanks :smile:
Original post by Ravannn
What would I expect for them to say that I would need in writing ? I'm definitely going to complain I'm working Monday and Tuesday though so I will be meeting with them on Wednesday, thank you.

For example, they might offer you a reduction in rent or % discount (they may not but it could happen), so something like that in writing would be essential to make sure that they honour it.
Reply 8
Original post by PhoenixFortune
For example, they might offer you a reduction in rent or % discount (they may not but it could happen), so something like that in writing would be essential to make sure that they honour it.

Ohhh right i understand, yeah if they say anything I'll get it in writing, my religion doesn't condone anyone seeing us besides our husband etc just feel really violated, thank you.
Reply 9
They do it deliberately, there are a lot perverts and sexual deviants working in Uni management. Be careful, log everything down in writing - email etc, do not go to their meetings, send them an email stating you are aware of their breach of privacy and trespass and that you want financial compensation.

Make a police report, see your solicitor. Do NOT got to their meetings, it is trap set up to trip you up so they can make it sound as if it was your fault and then sweep it under the carpet. If you can withhold payment till your claim is settled. This is what I did anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending