The Student Room Group

Has anyone done Bio, Chem and Computer Science in Alevel and got into medical school?

Guys,
I need help, shall I do OCR Computer Science or AQA Physics for the third subject.

People have been telling me that by doing physics without maths in ALEVEL is very hard and challenging, unfortunately, I can't do Maths since I got a 6 in it not a 7 and rest As. I have no other choice but to pick computer science but has anyone got into medical school by doing computer science as well? if yes, then what grade did you get?
Reply 1
Right. I'd be more concerned about your GCSE grade in Maths rather than A level choices since that could potentially limit your medicL school choices. As long as you are taking Chemistry and Biology, the third A level can be whatever you want with a few exceptions like Critical Thinking and General Studies
Reply 2
Original post by t10r
Right. I'd be more concerned about your GCSE grade in Maths rather than A level choices since that could potentially limit your medicL school choices. As long as you are taking Chemistry and Biology, the third A level can be whatever you want with a few exceptions like Critical Thinking and General Studies

Hi,
I know that but its clearly not my fault... Teaching in my school were awful you cant really achieve top marks without having a teacher... My class had a cover teacher for the whole year in year11 and I had to do independent learning.... Thats why im going to apply in unis which consider alevel more than gcse.... Wah dyu think shall i pick computer science or physics? These are the only choice I have
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by MRZ_2001
Hi,
I know that but its clearly not my fault... Teaching in my school were awful you cant really achieve top marks without having a teacher... My class had a cover teacher for the whole year in year11 and I had to do independent learning.... Thats why im going to apply in unis which consider alevel more than gcse.... Wah dyu think shall i pick computer science or physics? These are the only choice I have

honestly, pick the one you enjoy more. A-Levels are a big step up from GCSE so don't pick something 'just because'
Or try to pick the easier one if you enjoy both
Good luck- your B equivalent in GCSE Maths should be fine for lots of medical schools- most require B's at least in English and Maths so I think you'll be alright- but do some research on this (i.e. don't take my word for fact)
Reply 4
Original post by Attempt2
honestly, pick the one you enjoy more. A-Levels are a big step up from GCSE so don't pick something 'just because'
Or try to pick the easier one if you enjoy both
Good luck- your B equivalent in GCSE Maths should be fine for lots of medical schools- most require B's at least in English and Maths so I think you'll be alright- but do some research on this (i.e. don't take my word for fact)

Yh thank you ill try my best... By the way are you a medical student?
Yh thank you ill try my best... By the way are you a medical student?

No, but I'm applying for 2018 entry, so come this time next year, hopefully!
Reply 6
Original post by Attempt2
No, but I'm applying for 2018 entry, so come this time next year, hopefully!

Oh cool, what subjects are you doing?
Oh cool, what subjects are you doing?

Biology Chemistry and Maths :smile:
Reply 8
Hi,

I wouldnt go for any of them but if I had to, go for computer science as it's easier imo.

I'm applying this year and I am doing bio chem and maths which is by far the most common combination of A level subjects amongst medicine hopefuls

Quick Reply

Latest