The Student Room Group

The Decider: Destination DURHAM???

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lemur14
Thursday. But I have most my chemistry content to revise tomorrow, plus a compulsory past paper so I'll have to do some work...I'm not surprised noone wanted to be there...I doubt anyone will want to be there on Thursday either tbh but at least we've had a few more days
You'll get there. bit sooner though :tongue: :cheers:
I don't do exercise at all...the last time I did PE was April so apart from when I do dance which is rather irregular then that was the last time I did proper exercise :hide: I don't get a choice about the bus stop...or I wouldn't do it at all!
:five: :cube:

Ooh good luck for the early starts! :tongue: And make sure to do as much of that work as possible then, I have faith :yep: Yeah, Thursday would be a lot nicer than Tuesday but still, going back after a 2 week break is never easy :no:
A lot sooner - 15 days to go! :afraid: I’m ooooooooooold :afraid:
I miss PE :frown: Last time I did it was May 2016 though which is why I like going to the gym to make sure I at least get some proper exercise in! Is the bus stop far away? I have two I can go to, one is about 3 minutes away and the other one is 20 so it’s usually an easy choice :lol:
:hugs:
You are awake so early :eek4:
Original post by CoolCavy
You are awake so early :eek4:

6am :eek3: I need to wash my hair and all that jazz today - normally on a Wednesday I’d give myself until 6:30 :tongue:
Original post by Protostar
6am :eek3: I need to wash my hair and all that jazz today - normally on a Wednesday I’d give myself until 6:30 :tongue:

:eek4: that's such dedication
Original post by CoolCavy
:eek4: that's such dedication

It’s necessity! I take a lifetime getting ready so it’s my only choice really :tongue: Coffee sure helps a lot :colondollar:
Original post by DrSocSciences
You know, in adult life, you'll have to stop being so self-obsessed.

Care to explain?
Ooh good luck for the early starts! :tongue: And make sure to do as much of that work as possible then, I have faith :yep: Yeah, Thursday would be a lot nicer than Tuesday but still, going back after a 2 week break is never easy :no:
A lot sooner - 15 days to go! :afraid: I’m ooooooooooold :afraid:
I miss PE :frown: Last time I did it was May 2016 though which is why I like going to the gym to make sure I at least get some proper exercise in! Is the bus stop far away? I have two I can go to, one is about 3 minutes away and the other one is 20 so it’s usually an easy choice :lol:

Yeah early starts are not gonna be fun :noway: I'll do my best! Gonna have breakfast soon then will start this pile of chemistry :frown: No it's not... We've had 19 days as well, I don't think we've ever had a Christmas break so long!
Not old :tongue: mature! Temporarily catching up with your bf :wink:
I say I don't miss PE, but year 11 PE was pretty chill so I didn't mind it apart from having to carry the kit around all day (and the fact year 11 PE was always Monday morning...)
The one I use in the morning is about an 8 minute walk or a 4 minute sprint (as it's downhill). The one I use in the evening is further, maybe 15 minutes walk? Never noticed the time for that one as I'm not in a rush :lol: That's a very easy choice though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lemur14
Yeah early starts are not gonna be fun :noway: I'll do my best! Gonna have breakfast soon then will start this pile of chemistry :frown: No it's not... We've had 19 days as well, I don't think we've ever had a Christmas break so long!
Not old :tongue: mature! Temporarily catching up with your bf :wink:
I say I don't miss PE, but year 11 PE was pretty chill so I didn't mind it apart from having to carry the kit around all day (and the fact year 11 PE was always Monday morning...)
The one I use in the morning is about an 8 minute walk or a 4 minute sprint (as it's downhill). The one I use in the evening is further, maybe 15 minutes walk? Never noticed the time for that one as I'm not in a rush :lol: That's a very easy choice though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hope the Chem is going okay! :hugs: We had... 17 days (yes I did just count) and it was the standard 2 weeks off plus Monday that we always have :dontknow:
I'll take mature :tongue: And yeah for a very short amount of time :lol:
I loved PE and did it for GCSE so had it like 3 times a week! Core PE in Y11 was so chill though I agree, such stark contrast between that and my GCSE class :lol: Remember in Y7 having to carry PE kit and food tech ingredients on the same day :emo:
Oh do you go to two different places before/after school as well? :awesome: I go to the 3 minute away one on a morning (one minute sprint as it's down a hill, 2 flights of steps, another hill and then across a main road which can be the difference between making and missing the bus :tongue:), and then my walk home after getting off the bus is 20 minutes. I'm not sure I've got the stamina to sprint for 4 minutes! :rofl:
:cube:
Update for 03/01/2018 - Starting the year off right...

Hey everyone! Hope you've all had a good day :hugs:

Physics (lesson one): In my first lesson we learnt about direct and alternating current, but not much of it made sense at all :sad: My teacher also got out an oscilloscope to see how the voltage of a filament lamp varies when it's connected to an a.c. power supply but it kept going wrong and so didn't really show anything at all - which only left me more confused :confused:

Physics (lesson two): This lesson was a little better. We learnt about Ideal Gases and all of the rules that go with them, which was really quite easy, so I didn't have any problems. We then moved on to some questions involving the equations which I found fine. Here's a picture of my class notes from today (sorry they're not colourful or anything - class notes never are! :redface:)

Spoiler

Maths (double): Double stats... yay... :banghead: and my teacher was as annoying as ever and it was another 2 hours of sitting in her room working from our textbooks while she just wandered around, y'know, the usual. I really couldn't be bothered in this lesson, didn't see the point in being there at all tbh. I managed to get a tiny bit further through the Binomial Distribution chapter so I now know how to use the tables, but that was about it. I'll do some more before next lesson but ugh do I despise stats with a burning passion :lol:

After school: I finish at 1:15pm on Wednesdays and so this year I'm going to start utilising that time for good - by spending it in the gym! I was in there from 1:30 until 3:00 today and I did a lot :woo: Turns out my friend had planned to go at the same time to me, unbeknownst to both of us, so we ended up sticking together and really going for it :dumbells: My legs ached sooo much afterwards so if I'm not in pain tomorrow I'll be very surprised! :lol: (I also had a salad for my lunch, how good am I eh :u:)

Since I've been home I've finished off my organisation document thing and then got cracking with some Physics revision. I made some notes on Further Mechanics, ploughing through the Circular Motion, Simple Harmonic Motion and most of the Simple Harmonic Oscillators stuff before getting bored and stopping. I'm really tired today so I'm just gonna chill out for the rest of the night and hopefully sleep a little earlier - got another 6am start ahead of me so I'd preferably like to not be a complete zombie tomorrow :tongue:

Until tomorrow folks :wavey:

Terrific Tag Squad

Reply 369
@Protostar I never knew that you could do Maths and FM with different examboards.
Wow that's a lot of gym-ing! :headfire:
In Maths, we are doing projectiles. How do you learn what to do to calculate the range, maximum heights etc?! Did you just learn how to do them? My teacher gave a different method to the one in the textbook.. i kind of get the teacher’s method, while the textbook method is more learning than just understanding it..

ANY tips? Xx

I’m so dreading that exams are this year now :O :frown:
Update for 03/01/2018 - Starting the year off right...

Hey everyone! Hope you've all had a good day :hugs:

Physics (lesson one): In my first lesson we learnt about direct and alternating current, but not much of it made sense at all :sad: My teacher also got out an oscilloscope to see how the voltage of a filament lamp varies when it's connected to an a.c. power supply but it kept going wrong and so didn't really show anything at all - which only left me more confused :confused:

Physics (lesson two): This lesson was a little better. We learnt about Ideal Gases and all of the rules that go with them, which was really quite easy, so I didn't have any problems. We then moved on to some questions involving the equations which I found fine. Here's a picture of my class notes from today (sorry they're not colourful or anything - class notes never are! :redface:)

Spoiler

Maths (double): Double stats... yay... :banghead: and my teacher was as annoying as ever and it was another 2 hours of sitting in her room working from our textbooks while she just wandered around, y'know, the usual. I really couldn't be bothered in this lesson, didn't see the point in being there at all tbh. I managed to get a tiny bit further through the Binomial Distribution chapter so I now know how to use the tables, but that was about it. I'll do some more before next lesson but ugh do I despise stats with a burning passion :lol:

After school: I finish at 1:15pm on Wednesdays and so this year I'm going to start utilising that time for good - by spending it in the gym! I was in there from 1:30 until 3:00 today and I did a lot :woo: Turns out my friend had planned to go at the same time to me, unbeknownst to both of us, so we ended up sticking together and really going for it :dumbells: My legs ached sooo much afterwards so if I'm not in pain tomorrow I'll be very surprised! :lol: (I also had a salad for my lunch, how good am I eh :u:)

Since I've been home I've finished off my organisation document thing and then got cracking with some Physics revision. I made some notes on Further Mechanics, ploughing through the Circular Motion, Simple Harmonic Motion and most of the Simple Harmonic Oscillators stuff before getting bored and stopping. I'm really tired today so I'm just gonna chill out for the rest of the night and hopefully sleep a little earlier - got another 6am start ahead of me so I'd preferably like to not be a complete zombie tomorrow :tongue:

Until tomorrow folks :wavey:

Terrific Tag Squad

Original post by Black Water
@Protostar I never knew that you could do Maths and FM with different examboards.

It's perfectly allowed :smile:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Wow that's a lot of gym-ing! :headfire:

It is but I love it :tongue: always feel really good after going! :dumbells:
Original post by MKaur18
In Maths, we are doing projectiles. How do you learn what to do to calculate the range, maximum heights etc?! Did you just learn how to do them? My teacher gave a different method to the one in the textbook.. i kind of get the teacher’s method, while the textbook method is more learning than just understanding it..

ANY tips? Xx

I’m so dreading that exams are this year now :O :frown:

I always use suvat for projectiles, it was how I was taught it for M1 :smile:

I separate things out into horizontal and vertical variables, so I'll have two lists that look a little like this:
Vertical (up +ve):
s = value
u = speed x sin(angle) / vertical component of initial velocity
v = - (never needed usually)
a = 9.8 (acceleration due to gravity)
t = unknown (usually the one you need to work out!)

I can then usually use these to find the unknown, which is usually time. Because the time of flight is the same in both directions, you can just use it in the horizontal suvat to find the range:
Horizontal (-> +ve):
s = unknown
u = speed x cos(angle) / horizontal component of initial velocity
v = -
a = 0 (doesn't accelerate horizontally at all, it's been projected)
t = calculated value

Then you can easily use s = ut + 0.5t2 to find the range!

For max heights you'll be given other information that you can put into your suvat variable lists and work out some unknowns - practice makes perfect with projectiles I find :smile:
Reply 374
It's perfectly allowed :smile:

It is but I love it :tongue: always feel really good after going! :dumbells:

Is it? I was always told that it’s not a good idea.
Original post by Black Water
Is it? I was always told that it’s not a good idea.

There's nothing that says you can't - it's just not that common and quite a lot of people are against the idea of it because it means you can't shuffle modules around to maximise your Maths grade.
I always use suvat for projectiles, it was how I was taught it for M1 :smile:

I separate things out into horizontal and vertical variables, so I'll have two lists that look a little like this:
Vertical (up +ve):
s = value
u = speed x sin(angle) / vertical component of initial velocity
v = - (never needed usually)
a = 9.8 (acceleration due to gravity)
t = unknown (usually the one you need to work out!)

I can then usually use these to find the unknown, which is usually time. Because the time of flight is the same in both directions, you can just use it in the horizontal suvat to find the range:
Horizontal (-> +ve):
s = unknown
u = speed x cos(angle) / horizontal component of initial velocity
v = -
a = 0 (doesn't accelerate horizontally at all, it's been projected)
t = calculated value

Then you can easily use s = ut + 0.5t2 to find the range!

For max heights you'll be given other information that you can put into your suvat variable lists and work out some unknowns - practice makes perfect with projectiles I find :smile:

That’s helpful thank you.
Last year, when I did Physics we learnt it and did things like s= 1/2 gt^2

So, I’ll just use the suvat methods to calculate it than remembering more equations 😊
Original post by MKaur18
That’s helpful thank you.
Last year, when I did Physics we learnt it and did things like s= 1/2 gt^2

So, I’ll just use the suvat methods to calculate it than remembering more equations 😊

Yeah I was taught the alternative equations as well but never bothered with them - they're all derived from the suvat equations anyway so I don't see the point!
Reply 378
There's nothing that says you can't - it's just not that common and quite a lot of people are against the idea of it because it means you can't shuffle modules around to maximise your Maths grade.

Oh right. How come you chose different boards? Or did your school do it?
Hope the Chem is going okay! :hugs: We had... 17 days (yes I did just count) and it was the standard 2 weeks off plus Monday that we always have :dontknow:
I'll take mature :tongue: And yeah for a very short amount of time :lol:
I loved PE and did it for GCSE so had it like 3 times a week! Core PE in Y11 was so chill though I agree, such stark contrast between that and my GCSE class :lol: Remember in Y7 having to carry PE kit and food tech ingredients on the same day :emo:
Oh do you go to two different places before/after school as well? :awesome: I go to the 3 minute away one on a morning (one minute sprint as it's down a hill, 2 flights of steps, another hill and then across a main road which can be the difference between making and missing the bus :tongue:), and then my walk home after getting off the bus is 20 minutes. I'm not sure I've got the stamina to sprint for 4 minutes! :rofl:
:cube:

I got some of it done and started the paper, so will have to finish it in my frees tomorrow! :hugs: My old school never really did the full two weeks with 3 weekends etc. Last year we had 11 days :redface:
I could never have done PE at GCSE. Not only am I rubbish at (and don't particularly enjoy) sport but the theory would have been horrible for me as well even if there was overlap with biology! I don't really remember that in year 7, maybe I escaped it? I remember one time having a massive making project in English and bringing that in on the same day as PE though :rofl:
Yeah, the official school bus is too packed in the morning, but the public bus leaves at a stupid time in the evening so I mix and match!
It's not really a sprint, more a fast job down the hill then a quick walk up the other side then a stroll or sprint along the road depending on if I can see the bus or not :lol: Definitely couldn't sprint up the hill! Am aiming to be a bit earlier this year, but the cold always puts me off as I hate waiting...
:lovehug::cube:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending