The Student Room Group

University safety choice

I want to do Computer Science as a degree at University and my predicted grades are:
Biology: A*
Chemistry: A
Maths: A*
I have already got a B in AS physics and 3 As in my first year maths modules. I'm also doing an EPQ on Artificial Intelligence and am expecting an A in it. these are my current University choices and their respective entry requirements. (Computer Science at A-level isn't needed, just maths)
Cambridge A*A*A
Imperial A*AA
UCL A*AA
Bath AAA or A*AB or ABB with an A in EPQ
Surrey ABB

My question is whether surrey is a good enough insurance university as even though I know i can get at least an ABB surrey is still no.12 for computer science so perhaps I might not get in? DO you think its better to pick something lower down in the league tables but with the same entry requirements like Nottingham or should what I have be fine?
League tables aren't a good indication of how many people get offers and stuff - the grade requirements are a better indication of this. I'd say that the list you have there is just fine!
Reply 2
yeah its a good safety choice , also dont be afraid of clearing because i went through it this year and it was so good
Original post by ckoppula199
My question is whether surrey is a good enough insurance university as even though I know i can get at least an ABB surrey is still no.12 for computer science so perhaps I might not get in? DO you think its better to pick something lower down in the league tables but with the same entry requirements like Nottingham or should what I have be fine?

You need to form your own opinion on how good each university and its CS course would be for you.

With predicted / achieved A*A*AB, an insurance standard offer of ABB seems like enough margin.
According to Which Uni, 72% of applicants get offers, so with those predicted grades you should be fine, as long as you have a good personal statement which shows your commitment to the subject.
Original post by ckoppula199
I want to do Computer Science as a degree at University and my predicted grades are:
Biology: A*
Chemistry: A
Maths: A*
I have already got a B in AS physics and 3 As in my first year maths modules. I'm also doing an EPQ on Artificial Intelligence and am expecting an A in it. these are my current University choices and their respective entry requirements. (Computer Science at A-level isn't needed, just maths)
Cambridge A*A*A
Imperial A*AA
UCL A*AA
Bath AAA or A*AB or ABB with an A in EPQ
Surrey ABB

Note that for 2019 entry onwards, AS Further Mathematics is required for Computer Science at Cambridge. I believe it's also required from 2018 entry for the CS with Maths option.

On an unrelated note I would recommend Southampton as a possible choice - while their entry criteria are somewhat lower, their EECS department is excellent and definitely one of their best, as well as being comparable to many more "brand name" universities (I would seriously consider it better than UCLs, strictly speaking).
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by qam
yeah its a good safety choice , also dont be afraid of clearing because i went through it this year and it was so good

Where are you going now?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending