The Student Room Group

Thoughts on Bellerbys College? How is student life in Brighton?

Hi everyone, I'm planning to start my A-levels in January 2018 and I have my eye on Bellerbys College, especially the one in Brighton. I'm Malaysian and I've never been to the U.K., but I heard Brighton's a great place for a student. I'm still a little skeptical about the college and I have to make sure it's a place I'll do well in to convince my parents to let me go. Has anyone attended or heard of this college? How was your experience and what are your opinions on the college?

Thank you!
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Hello!

I graduated from Bellerbys College Brighton this year and I can answer all of your questions!
The city is great itself, you are right here. But the college definitely doesn't worth it. It's massively overpriced with so little facilities available, you will be left with no support whatsoever and it is extremely hard to do well in the environment where nobody aspires to learn. That's my summary. All my friends that I made there would agree on this.

Is there something specific in this college that hooked up your attention?
Reply 3
I am one of the students from Bellerbys and I think you should go to the other colleges instead especially if you are doing A-Level. To get a good grade, you have to be lucky since the quality of the teachers is very inconsistent. I have been studying in this college for more than 2 years. I did the one-year IGCSE course in the first year, it was not bad. However, the A-Level is another story. Their A-Level course is basically a scam as you barely get any support from the teachers. I did three subjects, including Maths, Economics and Accounting, 2 out of 3 teachers were really bad at teaching. All the good teachers are reserved for the "better" students.
As for the residence and welfare, we are treated like dogs. I would avoid commenting on the quality of the food since it is subjective but the hygiene is below average. The wi-fi is slow and they banned googling some controversial terms that might be needed for the research.
Also, do not trust the marketing team. The Ukranian girl in the video is a sellout.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by janegoh
Hi everyone, I'm planning to start my A-levels in January 2018 and I have my eye on Bellerbys College, especially the one in Brighton. I'm Malaysian and I've never been to the U.K., but I heard Brighton's a great place for a student. I'm still a little skeptical about the college and I have to make sure it's a place I'll do well in to convince my parents to let me go. Has anyone attended or heard of this college? How was your experience and what are your opinions on the college?

Thank you!

Hi
Im a Malaysian and plan to do my ALevels in Bellerbys Cambridge or Brighton to pursue my medical degree.Im wondering about the quality of teaching in both the campuses and the difference. Would you be able to give some information on this?
Further how is the teachings there?
Will they bring out the best in us?
I really need the good grades to pursue my dream
Thank you
Original post by louiseaurelia
Hello there, I'm going to Bellerbys Brighton this September and I've heard so many bad reviews about them that I'm starting to get a little anxious. Which subjects did you take? I've heard positive reviews about the Sciences but rather negative ones about Business. The part where you said "it is extremely hard to do well in the environment where nobody aspires to learn" really got me because I do not want to experience any of that. In which subjects did you get this experience from? Does it have any relation to the subjects or is this attitude prevalent throughout the college itself? I'm sorry for the late reply but I hope you can reply to this in time.

Original post by louiseaurelia
Also, I'm studying Biology, Chemistry and Math, and could you inform me how well the teachers are on these subjects? And whether or not I should worry about anything? Once again, thank you very much.

Hi,

Honestly, the 'nobody aspires to learn' attitude was everyone's experience of Bellerbys. I did law, met students from Sciences, Business, Humanities, Art, etc and every single one of them could agree upon this. There's also a strong culture of 'kids of rich parents' and peer pressure that does not contribute to healthy environment. Some students do go to the highest Universities, but those students are selected in advance based on vague merits. So, experience of me and friends at that time was that even if you aspire to study in a top University afterwards and are ready to work hard for it, teachers still often pressure you not to apply to the highest Unis as if they are saving you from future frustration. In the mean time they will separate a tiny group of potentially successful students and will devote their attention to them. Hence, if you was not accepted to this tiny group from the beginning, you stand no chance and would receive even less value for your money.

@Irgreed did Biology, Chemistry and Math and may offer better insight into specific experiences with these subjects.

Before coming to Bellerbys I was warned about these pitfalls by my agent, but thought I would survive anyway. Well, I survived, but with all honesty, this makes for about the worse money investment in my entire life. It was even worse then I expected and as I grow up (it's been 2 years since leaving Bellerbys behind) I still come back to this experience and realise how wrong it all was. If you have not yet paid the fees, I would strongly advise looking for something else. You can find better Sixth Forms for A-levels (not international colleges) or if you do an International Foundation Year, do it at University of your choice. Avoid international colleges (not just Bellerbys) at all cost, they are all the same.
(edited 4 years ago)
Do you know about the Media
Original post by Historian1789
Hello!

I graduated from Bellerbys College Brighton this year and I can answer all of your questions!
The city is great itself, you are right here. But the college definitely doesn't worth it. It's massively overpriced with so little facilities available, you will be left with no support whatsoever and it is extremely hard to do well in the environment where nobody aspires to learn. That's my summary. All my friends that I made there would agree on this.

Is there something specific in this college that hooked up your attention?

How about the Media & Communication program?
HiAny feedback on the experience in Bellerbys Brighton vs INTOLondon? I’m planning to send my child into either one for their business foundation programme.I sensed that Bellerbys Brighton has a better progression rate than INTOLondon. I’m surprised no many people talk about INTOLondon. Is it not as good?
Reply 9
I found an extensive review of Bellerbys College. Check it out it might help you in your consideration to join the college.
The review look like it’s written by their own people though... but yes, good information on a overall basis. Thanks
Reply 11
I’m currently studying in Bellerbys Cambridge and tbh, I really do not enjoy it here. Teaching quality isn’t so great and I wouldn’t recommended it to anyone I know in the future. I agree with what @Historian1789 said regarding the groups and all.
Original post by Iyumi
I’m currently studying in Bellerbys Cambridge and tbh, I really do not enjoy it here. Teaching quality isn’t so great and I wouldn’t recommended it to anyone I know in the future. I agree with what @Historian1789 said regarding the groups and all.

Thank you. Your feedback is much appreciated in my decision making
Hello, this is maybe too late but I would say go elsewhere. My year there was a year wasted. I didn't get any support and bording house was terrible. I'm a high achiever but as I wasn't anyones favourite I had no chances of progressingIt was Brighton.
Original post by Degas83837
Hello, this is maybe too late but I would say go elsewhere. My year there was a year wasted. I didn't get any support and bording house was terrible. I'm a high achiever but as I wasn't anyones favourite I had no chances of progressingIt was Brighton.

Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for informing
Did a level programme at bellerbys brighton. Decided to drop out from the college entirely and not even switching to foundation stream because of how bad it was. There was little to no support from teachers to student services. The fees for a 9mth programme was horrifying, it costs even more than university fees itself. The college shows lack of support which will only lead to lack of motivation to do well. Students who were able to get into top universities are those who already have a strong background. Highly recommend not to go to bellerbys.
I went to Bellerbys college brighton last year 2019 to do the A levels programme. Decided to drop out halfway because of the lack of support from teachers. The overall student services was bad. The whole programme was like a scam and fees for just a 9 month programme was more than a university fee itself. Everything was a mess. Didnt even considered changing to foundation but i changed school entirely. Recommend to go somewhere else, or try a public college.

Quick Reply

Latest