The Student Room Group

Can you go into economics with an engineering degree?

If I get a degree in engineering can I go into economics related jobs such as stockbrokers, data analysts etc? Apparently engineering students are well known for their analytical thinking so I would really like to know this
Reply 1
Original post by cubecon
If I get a degree in engineering can I go into economics related jobs such as stockbrokers, data analysts etc? Apparently engineering students are well known for their analytical thinking so I would really like to know this

They aren't economics related jobs, and yes Engineering is fine as a degree if you want to go into finance/banking.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Doonesbury
They aren't economics related jobs, and yes Engineering is fine as a degree if you want to go into finance/banking.

Oh good. So all finance and banking jobs are open to me, even investment banking
Reply 3
Original post by cubecon

Oh good. So all finance and banking jobs are open to me, even investment banking

Yup. :smile:

But I'd suggest only embarking on an engineering course if you actually enjoy engineering...
Reply 4
I have a passion for decision making, mathematics and problems and I love technology. I think engineering/physical fits this profile very much, whereas a degree in something such as economics would be less engaging imo, as I am mot the greatest fan of memorising and regurgitating information. Employers seek employees who have this kind of mathematical aptitude. Are there any prerequisite qualifications needed to go into something such as investment banking and being a stockbroker
Original post by cubecon
I have a passion for decision making, mathematics and problems and I love technology. I think engineering/physical fits this profile very much, whereas a degree in something such as economics would be less engaging imo, as I am mot the greatest fan of memorising and regurgitating information. Employers seek employees who have this kind of mathematical aptitude. Are there any prerequisite qualifications needed to go into something such as investment banking and being a stockbroker

If you want, I could move this thread into the Investment Banking forum, as your question seems to be more related to that than engineering?
Original post by cubecon

Any reputable degree programme will have very little "regurgitation of material" including the majority of economics courses. However recall will form some aspect of any course - even in engineering you're going to be expected to remember, or derive for yourself, basic trig relations that will be needed for solving most of the integrals they'll throw at you. Also I can tell you from experience, materials type modules that aren't tensor based will probably fall largely into the "stamp collecting" variety :tongue:

There are also many more mathematical/technical economics programmes (such as at Warwick, Cambridge, and LSE for example, or the many MORSE programmes) available. Equally there are many other courses you could develop these skills in - Mathematics itself obviously, and most physical STEM courses.

The only prerequisite to go into investment banking is going to one of their preferred universities, which is telling about exactly what it involves. Also the most difficult mathematics you'll do in IBanking is you might every once in a blue moon need to divide two numbers. A monkey that is proficient in excel (and actually proficient, not CV "I have used excel before" proficient) could do the job - if it was also generically good looking, probably white, and had connections in the industry and a smarmy attitude that would help make more.

Quantitative finance is a whole other beast, but most will have a masters at least if not a PhD in a quantitative/numerate area with significant programming and development experience.

Quick Reply

Latest