Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant
    • Thread Starter

    Community Assistant
    It's Dyslexia Awareness Week!!!
    And here on TSR, we're doing our bit to try and help you guys get more information about dyslexia.

    Since dyslexia is common with a lot of people, and because it's not your fault if you have it, you are BY LAW entitled to support in order for you to reach your capabilities because you are at a disadvantage.

    It's not nice to admit to yourself that you are at a disadvantage, (I know that myself) since people are born with dyslexia, you don't know any different. So have faith in the support systems that are there and take every offer that you feel would benefit you.

    Below are some more details about the support you're entitled to depending on what stage you're at.

    Please post in this thread if your school/university/workplace offers you anything different in addition. Or if you're not receiving this support but believe you're entitled to it, we'll be able to tell you how to get it.:yep:

    Are you at school?
    All schools have to recognise the term dyslexia, by law, and ensure that these students are not put at a disadvantage.:yep:

    "Support for learning difficulties may be required when children and young people learn at a slower pace than their peers, even with appropriate differentiation".

    Schools should be aware that specific learning difficulties (SpLD) can affect one or more aspects of learning1 which may encompass a range of conditions such as dyslexia, dyscalculia and dyspraxia2.

    Schools should publish details of the approaches they use to support children with Special Educational Needs (SEN), including those with dyslexia, and this should be on the school’s website. Special Education Needs in known in some schools as Learning Support; these people are simply there to make sure that you are not at a disadvantage cause by your own biology.

    Schools and education authorities have a dutyto provide reasonable adjustments for disabled pupils, under the Equality Act 2010, if a child’s dyslexia is assessed as severe enough for it to be a disability.

    The law does not say what is ‘reasonable’. This allows flexibility for different sets of circumstances so that, for example, what is reasonable in one set of circumstances may not be reasonable in another.

    Examples of reasonable adjustments include:
    • literacy intervention resources
    • use of assistive technologies3
    • auxiliary aids such as coloured overlays
    • hand-outs on yellow paper (reducing the contrast of black on white)4
    • pen grips
    • adapted keyboards and computer software
    • weekly sessions with specialist staff

    1. for more on ways that dyslexia can affect people, see this thread.

    2. Dyspraxia awareness week is next week and we will also be doing something on TSR to mark that, though not in the same way as this week.

    3. This can be something as simple as a ruler feature or overlay on your computer screen, to keep track of something when reading.

    4. Some people have purple and some have other colours, depending on their particular needs and other conditions that they have in tandem with dyslexia

    Are you at College or University?
    A dyslexic person moving into Higher Education can face new challenges and greater demands on their literacy skills, and so may need support for the first time or may need to continue with the kind of support they had in school.

    The kind of support needed will depend on the demands of the particular course as well as the severity of your difficulties. Some of the support that is needed will be available to all students on the course, but sometimes extra support will be needed which may require an ‘assessment of needs’ following a diagnostic assessment.

    Disabled Students Allowance (DSA): If you're a higher education student in England, you can apply for DSA if you have a disability, including a specific learning difficulty e.g. dyslexia. If you are entitled to funding to help you then it will always be available to you, legally it has to be.

    The support you get depends on your individual needs and not on income.

    To qualify you will need to be able to prove that you are eligible. For specific learning difficulties this means that you will need to provide a ‘diagnostic assessment’ from a psychologist or suitably qualified specialist teacher - you’ll need to get reassessed if you had this done when you were under 16. This is not something to be scared of:nah:.

    For more on DSA see here.

    Always make your university support services aware of your conditions. If you're struggling, they have a duty of care to help you. They can't do that if they aren't aware of you and your needs. Some people choose to raise their conditions during the UCAS Application, if you don't, then please raise them at the earliest opportunity to the university you end up attending.

    Are you at work or looking for work?
    By law, your employer should recognise your difficulties and make reasonable adjustments based on your individual needs.:yep:

    To find out if the effects of your difficulty are seen as substantial and likely to impact on your work performance’ an assessment will usually be required. For more on assessments see here.

    An employer may be willing to pay for an assessment and provide continuing support, but you should discuss this further with your employer and/or HR department.

    You could also approach your union representative for advice and support.

    Plenty of employers will be very open to applicants who identify themselves as having a disability as part of the Disability Confident Scheme. This tries to remove any disadvantage you may face due to being disabled when applying for a job or going to an interview etc.

University open days

  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.