The Student Room Group

Is this a silly way to start a personal statement?

I'm currently writing my personal statement for law. The most widely accepted advice is to start your ps by stating where your interest in the subject came from. And, however silly it sounds, I first considered law as a degree after watching Legally Blonde aged 12/13. It sparked my interest and from that I then went on to read books, articles and research etc about law. Obviously I'm not stupid enough to think that's what a law degree is going to be like but it is honestly what first put the idea in my head.

So. Should I use this to start my personal statement and use it as a way to show how my understanding of law has developed? Or would I be better to not mention it at all so admissions officers don't think I'm going to turn up and pretend to be Elle Woods? Many thanks!
I would say don’t explicitly say that it was that film, but you can say it in a roundabout way like ‘seeing the profession of law depicted in the entertainment industry when I was younger sparked my interest in it’ ygm?
Reply 2
yes you are very stupid
You don't need to say how your interest came about - focus on why it is interesting instead
I would avoid it; it will be counter-productive. There is a lot of judgement in law (definitely in the professions) about people who say they got interested / actually got interested because of Ally McBeal / Boston Legal / Legally Blonde / Suits.
Original post by anonasian
I would say don’t explicitly say that it was that film, but you can say it in a roundabout way like ‘seeing the profession of law depicted in the entertainment industry when I was younger sparked my interest in it’ ygm?

Speaking like a robot (depicted in the entertainment industry) is not what the admission tutor is interested in either.

Original post by Bubs051213
I'm currently writing my personal statement for law. The most widely accepted advice is to start your ps by stating where your interest in the subject came from. And, however silly it sounds, I first considered law as a degree after watching Legally Blonde aged 12/13. It sparked my interest and from that I then went on to read books, articles and research etc about law. Obviously I'm not stupid enough to think that's what a law degree is going to be like but it is honestly what first put the idea in my head.

So. Should I use this to start my personal statement and use it as a way to show how my understanding of law has developed? Or would I be better to not mention it at all so admissions officers don't think I'm going to turn up and pretend to be Elle Woods? Many thanks!

Best to avoid. It would be interesting to use it to show a developed understanding of the demands of law. I.e., you could acknowledge your initial naivete and highlight how it was wrong. That shows a level of advanced self-awareness which most other applicants do not have and crucially that is what most impresses admission tutors. However, it is a bit risky if your idea of the law is still naive and the reader can sense that. You would have a naive first impression coupled with amateur content.
Reply 6
Okay, I shall avoid it. Thank you very much for your advice everyone!
Never, never (ever) start an academic personal statement with any reference to TV show or a film.

And for Law, it shouldn't appear anywhere. This is a highly academic subject leading to a serious professional career.
Just don't.
Original post by returnmigrant
Never, never (ever) start an academic personal statement with any reference to TV show or a film.

And for Law, it shouldn't appear anywhere. This is a highly academic subject leading to a serious professional career.
Just don't.

I don't think you'd mind too much if they redeemed themselves. For example, they started out by talking about Suits but the majority of the content is about the recent developments to ex turpi causa, I think you would give them a shot.
Original post by gooeybrownie22
I think it's quite quirky/original to start it off this way, and can see it grabbing the reader's attention straight away. As long as it's used as just a starting point rather than the main focus of your PS, I would think it's ok to use it. Good luck!

It’s not that original - I have a friend who started her law PS with the same Elle Woods anecdote.

She got three rejections, btw.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending