The Student Room Group

When do higher than the offer predicted grades cause problems?

I am applying for Economics at Oxford, UCL, Warwick, Nottingham and Birmingham and my predicted grades are 3A*A, however I’ve been warned that as the minimum entry requirements for most of these universities is A*AA, will I get very high offers?

I am likely to get an A* for two of my subjects but the third I’ve asked if I could get an A* prediction and my teacher said I can. Is it worth taking or shall I stick with two safer A* predictions and not risk a higher offer but will a 2A* prediction make me less competitive against other applicants because these universities are quite competitive?
Reply 1
I would take the third A* prediction if I were you. Even if you get a sky-high offer and you don't quite reach it when it comes to exams, they might well accept you anyway. It doesn't make much sense to reduce the competitiveness of your application at this stage
Reply 2
Original post by nbons
I would take the third A* prediction if I were you. Even if you get a sky-high offer and you don't quite reach it when it comes to exams, they might well accept you anyway. It doesn't make much sense to reduce the competitiveness of your application at this stage

Would you say more A* predictions is favourable especially for an Oxbridge application? I’ve seen some of the admission statistics and a significant proportion of the accepted applicants have 3-4 A* predictions so how much would you say oxbridge value A* predictions?
Reply 3
Oxbridge value academic ability very highly, so the more A*s you have, the more your application will stand out. It's a good idea to aim for well above the minimum required grades if you're in a position to do so, and you definitely seem to be! Take the third A*, in my opinion trying to second guess the offers process and manipulate a lower offer is unlikely to work
Reply 4
Okay I'll take the risk with the higher prediction, thank you for the help.
Much appreciated :smile:
Reply 5
No problem, best of luck
jagtar i think you should suck a phat one

Quick Reply

Latest