The Student Room Group

EmilySarah00’s 2017/18 struggle to University (A*AA)

Scroll to see replies

How was it? @EmilySarah00
Original post by Lemur14
Not really :facepalm: I've had 5 days since my last exam and the only day I've worked is today :oops: I'm also very not prepared...
My dad tried to take me out with the sat nav on Sunday and it was such a disaster...there's a load of double roundabouts around me and it only gives you the instruction for the second roundabout once you're already on it and committed to a direction :redface: Yeah worry about tomorrow first!
Hopefully!
Good luck tomorrow!

Don't feel too bad, it's ok to have a break sometimes at this point there's no need for you to overwork yourself (that comes next year for you...)
I hate double roundabouts! I'm lucky there's only 1 test route with 1 on for me, but what I gain there is more than lost in double parked roads...
I needed that luck but sadly even luck didn't help me today! :frown:

Original post by OrangeArcher
Good luck, I'm sure you'll get an A or A* in FP4. :biggrin:

I really don't think that's the case after that paper...

Original post by nyxnko_
I am :yep: I only have 2 more exams :tongue:
:laugh: Have fun with that! :yes:
Good luck with FP4 today!! :rave: I know you'll smash that exam!!
:woo: for that improvement!!

Hoorah! I really can't wait for it all to be over, 7 to go..
Thanks for the luck, not sure luck was with me today though... :argh:

Original post by entertainmyfaith
good luck with the exam!:rave:

Late but thank you :frown:(((

Original post by Sherryew
I just failed my S3 exam( at least 7 marks) and I’m soooooo depressed rn😭😭😭😭😭

Ah no! 7 Marks isn't bad at all, I dropped at least 20 on my exam today so I wouldn't worry
Original post by ithinkitslily
good luck with FP4! 💫

Having done the exam I'm not sure luck was with me today but thank you anyways! :hugs:

How are things going for you? x

Original post by MajorFader
How was it? @EmilySarah00

Absolutely terrible but that's coming in an update now
Original post by EmilySarah00
Don't feel too bad, it's ok to have a break sometimes at this point there's no need for you to overwork yourself (that comes next year for you...)
I hate double roundabouts! I'm lucky there's only 1 test route with 1 on for me, but what I gain there is more than lost in double parked roads...
I needed that luck but sadly even luck didn't help me today! :frown:

Doing something before the exam might have been a good idea though...
I'm not actually sure if any of the ones I go on are on a test route, but they're certainly on one of the routes to the test centre from my house so we go on them a lot :redface: There are also loads of double parked roads (gosh they terrify me!) here so not really :tongue:
Aww :console: Hopefully it went better than you think and everyone else found it hard too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
23/05/18 - FP4 Exam Summary :

Reflection:

It didn’t really hit me until I opened todays paper that this is it… this is my one chance to show my worth, and it decides my future, it all rests on a few exam papers and if I have a bad day that’s it.. I don’t get what I want.

This realisation as I opened the paper wasn’t a good way to start, I was thrown off for a while before I could kind of get into it, this resulted in me getting even the first question wrong which isn’t ideal.

I worked through questions 2-4 alright and then got to 5 and just couldn’t do the first part, I was getting awkward algebraic fractions which looked like they cancelled but I wasn’t confident enough to cancel them down (which in reflection was stupid) so I left them as big huge fractions, I then had to sub these fractions into other equations and it took A G E S.

The rest of question 5 and 6 were okay but then I only had 20 minutes to complete the last (what I thought was 2) questions. So I was rushing these a lot and then midway through question 8 I realised I actually wasn’t at the end and there was also a question 9 on this paper.

So with 5 minutes remaining I had 17 marks worth of question left to do and safe to say I chucked most of those marks away as I was just panicking so much.. it was the most horrible feeling, I felt so sick at one point I thought I was going to have to run out of the room. Then it was all over, I was mid question and in tears.

It’s just so horrific that all the work I put in resulted in this, like I tried so hard and it just turns out to be a shambles, all I’ve really revised for is todays exam so now I’m just left thinking how much serious work I’m going to have to put in now to even stand a chance of getting the grades I need, when really all I want is another shot at FP4.

Predictions:

Judging by the unofficial mark scheme I reckon I got about 45 marks on that paper which going off standard grade boundaries is about a D, C at absolute best. (Plus the grade boundaries won’t be lower than usual because in hindsight it was a fairly average paper)

I know people will come out and say “I’m sure it wasn’t as bad as you think,” that’s all I’ve heard all day, but I’m not having any of it. I’m usually really good at predicting what I got on Maths papers, and I’m usually only a few marks off.

So this means to get the A that I need in Further Maths I need an A on my other 2 papers, I can’t slip up and even get a B on one of them because that will put me into a B overall. The pressure is more than ever now, I was really hoping all the work I put in to this one would pay off, but it really didn’t.

(Sorry this is depressing, but this is the ugly truth of today)

Tags:

Spoiler

23/05/18 - FP4 Exam Summary :

Reflection:

It didn’t really hit me until I opened todays paper that this is it… this is my one chance to show my worth, and it decides my future, it all rests on a few exam papers and if I have a bad day that’s it.. I don’t get what I want.

This realisation as I opened the paper wasn’t a good way to start, I was thrown off for a while before I could kind of get into it, this resulted in me getting even the first question wrong which isn’t ideal.

I worked through questions 2-4 alright and then got to 5 and just couldn’t do the first part, I was getting awkward algebraic fractions which looked like they cancelled but I wasn’t confident enough to cancel them down (which in reflection was stupid) so I left them as big huge fractions, I then had to sub these fractions into other equations and it took A G E S.

The rest of question 5 and 6 were okay but then I only had 20 minutes to complete the last (what I thought was 2) questions. So I was rushing these a lot and then midway through question 8 I realised I actually wasn’t at the end and there was also a question 9 on this paper.

So with 5 minutes remaining I had 17 marks worth of question left to do and safe to say I chucked most of those marks away as I was just panicking so much.. it was the most horrible feeling, I felt so sick at one point I thought I was going to have to run out of the room. Then it was all over, I was mid question and in tears.

It’s just so horrific that all the work I put in resulted in this, like I tried so hard and it just turns out to be a shambles, all I’ve really revised for is todays exam so now I’m just left thinking how much serious work I’m going to have to put in now to even stand a chance of getting the grades I need, when really all I want is another shot at FP4.

Predictions:

Judging by the unofficial mark scheme I reckon I got about 45 marks on that paper which going off standard grade boundaries is about a D, C at absolute best. (Plus the grade boundaries won’t be lower than usual because in hindsight it was a fairly average paper)

I know people will come out and say “I’m sure it wasn’t as bad as you think,” that’s all I’ve heard all day, but I’m not having any of it. I’m usually really good at predicting what I got on Maths papers, and I’m usually only a few marks off.

So this means to get the A that I need in Further Maths I need an A on my other 2 papers, I can’t slip up and even get a B on one of them because that will put me into a B overall. The pressure is more than ever now, I was really hoping all the work I put in to this one would pay off, but it really didn’t.

(Sorry this is depressing, but this is the ugly truth of today)

Tags:

Spoiler

You know what...

Before your next exam, you need to meditate the night before/the morning of the exam. It will allow you to get into a more focused headspace.

Try downloading the app: ‘Calm’ on the App Store or :’Headspace’.

Mindset is extremely important on the day of the exam so take this as a learning experience. Actually, when you are in the exam hall, I personally think it’s best to think of it as a mock to help ease anxiety.

Hoorah! I really can't wait for it all to be over, 7 to go..
Thanks for the luck, not sure luck was with me today though... :argh:

You're almost there :rave: :tongue:
Move on and do your best in the next 2 exams :redface: There's nothing you can do to fix your FP4 exam now.. It's better to just put it behind you and do your best for the next ones!! :rave:
you've done your best:yep::jumphug: hopefully you'll be in a better mindset for the next paper:hugs:
You know what...

Before your next exam, you need to meditate the night before/the morning of the exam. It will allow you to get into a more focused headspace.

Try downloading the app: ‘Calm’ on the App Store or :’Headspace’.

Mindset is extremely important on the day of the exam so take this as a learning experience. Actually, when you are in the exam hall, I personally think it’s best to think of it as a mock to help ease anxiety.

But that’s the thing, I was pretty calm like I was fine (I use headspace sometimes btw) before the exam but just the second I opened the paper my brain flooded with dread, I wasn’t prepared for that to happen but there was no shaking it

I wish I could just think of it as a mock but that’s very easier said than done.

Original post by nyxnko_
You're almost there :rave: :tongue:
Move on and do your best in the next 2 exams :redface: There's nothing you can do to fix your FP4 exam now.. It's better to just put it behind you and do your best for the next ones!! :rave:

I’m going to try, I’ve just kind of lost all motivation now though, it’s been a day and I still feel really upset about yesterday, so now I have triple maths and I just don’t want to do it.

Original post by entertainmyfaith
you've done your best:yep::jumphug: hopefully you'll be in a better mindset for the next paper:hugs:

I really hope so because this has absolutely ruined me :frown:
Sorry to hear about how the paper went. Here are some tips for your next paper. When you open the paper, try to look through the whole thing and check which questions come to you immediately and which look more difficult. You then have a much better chance of picking up marks as you know beforehand roughly how hard the question will be and so you can split your time proportionately. Obviously, I don't know if that'll help you but, for me, it gives me a bit of control over the exam, which might also help with the feeling of dread you felt.

But if worst comes to worst, you should know that I was one mark off a D in S1 but I still ended up with an A* in Maths.

I’m going to try, I’ve just kind of lost all motivation now though, it’s been a day and I still feel really upset about yesterday, so now I have triple maths and I just don’t want to do it.

Sending virtual hugs :hugs:
Take it easy today then :redface:
Original post by MR1999
Sorry to hear about how the paper went. Here are some tips for your next paper. When you open the paper, try to look through the whole thing and check which questions come to you immediately and which look more difficult. You then have a much better chance of picking up marks as you know beforehand roughly how hard the question will be and so you can split your time proportionately. Obviously, I don't know if that'll help you but, for me, it gives me a bit of control over the exam, which might also help with the feeling of dread you felt.

But if worst comes to worst, you should know that I was one mark off a D in S1 but I still ended up with an A* in Maths.

That’s incredible, So you even still managed to average 80%? Crazy
That’s incredible, So you even still managed to average 80%? Crazy

That’s what I need, I worked out I need an average of about 81 UMS on my other 2 Further Maths exams to still manage that A overall
oh no :no:
i’m really thankful that you’re so honest with us, because things don’t always go how we want to them to :frown:

at least you can use it to hopefully act on your mistakes and smash the rest of your exams xxx
Hey I am a y11 thinking of doing Maths, Further Maths and Computer science for a level, do you think its manageable? Is it too much maths?
That’s what I need, I worked out I need an average of about 81 UMS on my other 2 Further Maths exams to still manage that A overall

You will get it! Keep pushing
Okay. It's happened. Nothing you can do now can change that unfortunately, you just have to smash your other exams. Check through the paper at the beginning next time to see how many questions there are.:yep: And if something is taking ages, as happened in question 5, move on and come back to it.
Been SO busy very sorry for this late late late response I'm terrible :argh:

Original post by MR1999

I always feel like checking questions is a waste of time but I see where you're coming from, I'm honestly just a mess!

Also I figured the same, if I get a D in M1 I could get an A* overall presuming I do well enough in C3 and 4, hence why I'm really not revising it because I find it easy anyway! :lol: (It's the only paper I do find easy though....)

Original post by nyxnko_
Sending virtual hugs :hugs:
Take it easy today then :redface:

Thank you! I ended up taking it easy (but not easy on the alcohol...) for the past 4 days or something, back to it now though!

Original post by clouddbubbles
oh no :no:
i’m really thankful that you’re so honest with us, because things don’t always go how we want to them to :frown:

at least you can use it to hopefully act on your mistakes and smash the rest of your exams xxx

I enjoy being honest here, it's going to make a good read in the future when I want to look back on things :smile:

And yeah I really hope the rest of my exams go better! Last year my first exam was my worst so maybe I just always have bad starts to these things! (we can hope..)
Original post by ZdYnm8vuNR
Hey I am a y11 thinking of doing Maths, Further Maths and Computer science for a level, do you think its manageable? Is it too much maths?

As long as you enjoy maths it should be fine! I liked my A-Level combination but I like maths so it worked well for me :yep:

You will get it! Keep pushing

Ah thank you!

Original post by 04MR17
Okay. It's happened. Nothing you can do now can change that unfortunately, you just have to smash your other exams. Check through the paper at the beginning next time to see how many questions there are.:yep: And if something is taking ages, as happened in question 5, move on and come back to it.

Yeah, I'm just feeling more pressure than ever now to do well in the rest :argh: I knew there was 9 questions, acknowledged it, then forgot half way through :frown:

I definitely regret not moving on from that question now, next time I think something is taking too long I'll definitely move on!
24-28/05/18 Update - The End of an Era & Much More :crazy::

A lot has happened these past 5 days, in fact I haven't even had a spare evening to write on here and that's a first! So basically in a whole 3 hours of Maths on Thursday I only did 1 exam question, half of that was because I was still fed up after Wednesday and the other half was because there was loads of food in all the lessons and I spent my time eating instead :teehee:

After college on Thursday me and a couple of friends stayed behind for over 2 hours to plaster out whole Computer Science classroom with photos and memes, it took ages and we were all so hot and bothered afterwards, but the results were pretty funny, here's a photo of the outside door (what all the school saw) for you all to appreciate :lol:

Then Friday rolled around and it was my last ever day at college, and this meant dressing up. The theme for the day was ‘Decades’ so I went as a hippie. I’ve been preparing my outfit for ages and I really liked how it looked but I never got a good photo of myself so you’re going to have to have a photo of me and all my friends instead (which is the cutest photo ever, and they all agreed to me posting this online so don’t worry)

The whole day was basically just a big party, we did nothing in Computer Science besides laugh at the photos all over the walls, we played the Pirate Game in Further Maths then had an assembly third period... then that was it… honestly I’m so emotional writing this I can’t believe I’m not going back to lessons ever again :cry2:

I spent the rest of Friday in Spoons besides going home for a few hours mid afternoon for a rest, I’ve never seen spoons so busy in my life but everyone in there were students all dressed up (a fair few hundred of us) and it was just really fun!

On Saturday I was awoken at 6AM and feeling really really rough, which was odd considering I hadn’t even drank that much alcohol, but I was going out with Harry at 11AM so I had to just get over it and get packing, which took a lot of effort.

Luckily Saturday was just a travelling day and then a rather chill day, I didn’t feel great for the whole time but once we got to our destination (which was a flat in Coventry) we just watched a lot of Netflix and ate food!

Sunday was where the real event happened, we went to BBC Radio 2’s Big Weekend in Coventry, I wasn’t sure what to expect as the line up was a really mixed bag but I actually really enjoyed it, especially Paloma Faith. The weather wasn’t the best but it was a great day :rave:

There’s just a couple of pictures, I didn’t actually get that many really.We left mid-way through the headliner so we could get home in good time, plus I had to shower when I got in to get all the glitter off me despite wanting to sleep so badly :rofl:

That just leaves today, I didn’t start working until around midday (after a long phone call with my friend about Computer Science papers.) I did a Core 4 paper and got 69/75 which was an A* but after that I started feeling kinda ill because I was still tired I think, so I tried to do some Computer Science revision later on but only got through 1 Quizlet before practically falling asleep so I gave up. :sigh:

Tomorrow is when preparation for my Practical Driving Test on Thursday starts because I currently know nothing and can’t drive so.. that should be fun.. gosh I need a rest. :yawn:

Until then,
- Emily

Did you miss these tags? I bet not! Hope you all had a fab long weekend :woo: :

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending