The Student Room Group

EmilySarah00’s 2017/18 struggle to University (A*AA)

Scroll to see replies

29-30/05/18 Update - Just Maths and Driving Really... :dontknow: :

I haven't really done a great amount of work these past couple of days, I really need to get my act together because I feel like I'm just not doing enough but anyways I'll tell you what I did manage to get done. :sigh:

Yesterday I slept in for a while before getting up and doing a Core 3 paper, I woke up later than I'd hoped so I didn't have time to finish the whole paper before having to get ready to go out but I did do 7/8 questions before stopping.

I then had a 2 hour driving lesson just after lunch which is twice the length I normally drive for, and quite honestly after an hour and a half I'd really had enough, but the whole thing was useful. I did parallel parking and parking in a bay as well as driving a whole test route and practice on a really steep hill start as well as a few other tricky junctions etc. I was so exhausted by the end but there was no time for a break. :eek3:

I went straight to Harry's house after my lesson then soon after we headed off to the Cinema together to watch Deadpool 2, I was trying to resist buying popcorn but it smelled so good and the craving was too much so I caved and got a kids portion (and finished the lot!) Then straight afterwards we went out to Frankie and Bennys for dinner and it was really nice for a chance :yep:

When I got home, which was pretty late and I was tired, I did the last question on the Core 3 paper I started which was a rather disgusting 12 mark integration question, most of which was a huge substitution. I managed to mess it up by making a stupid small error when multiplying indices and that resorted in me dropping some marks on that one but I'll blame how tired I was. I then marked the whole thing and I got 64/75 which was a (fairly low) A. I really can't shake the A in Core 3, it's always a silly few marks here and there, never a major mistake, but it always puts me about 10-12 marks down which is out of that A* territory and I just don't know how to fix it, plus now I'm running out of the harder papers too! :argh:

Then comes today which started off with yet another driving lesson, only an hour long this time though, which seemed so short in comparison to yesterday. I did similar stuff to the lesson before, tricky junctions, practising manoeuvres, it's just a case of practice now, so I don't panic and make a big mistake in my test tomorrow, which let's face it I probably will. :hide:

After my lesson I was absolutely exhausted, I ended up printing a Core 4 paper then falling asleep and not waking up again until near enough 1PM. That ruined my plans of being productive for the day but I set to and started the Core 4 paper as soon as I woke up anyway. I only got half way through it before I was absolutely starving and had to break for lunch, and because I put Netflix on this break became a very long one. :oops:

Once I finally brought myself back to finish the paper it was well gone 3PM and I didn't manage to finish until 4:30PM in the end, so there was most of my day gone. I marked the thing and got 58/75 with 0 marks out of 7 on one of the questions (I just had no clue, and to no suprise it was differential equations again) so I thought I'd done so awfully but that mark was actually an A* so apparently the paper was tough! I'm getting a serious Core 4 A* streak now so I'm hoping my strengths in Core 4, especially when I polish up differential equations, will make up for my weaknesses in Core 3 :plz2:

I then took a break in which I started watching Suits, I really liked the first episode but zoned out in the second one a bit because I was watching it whilst revising for my driving test tomorrow.

Then I had dinner and meditated afterwards as always, the meditation tonight made me really sleepy and so yet again I didn't get the Computer Science revision done that I also had planned for today. I really need to stop putting it off but I suppose I'll just get tomorrow out of the way and then crack on with it, despite not having a clue how to revise it. :burnout:

I'm such a mess tbh but yeah, very scared for tomorrow but I really want to pass because after like 40 hours of lessons I've really had enough. :frown:

Until then,
- Emily

Wednesday Warriors :dumbells::

Spoiler

need to watch deadpool 2:lol:
well done on doing those papers, you're doing great:hugs:
12 marks integration by substitution question? On AQA? What year was it? I have essentially ran out of past papers for AQA C3, and I need something to ‘binge-practice’ on till the exam lol.
Right. Try this for C3. I did it for most of my units last year and it kinda worked.

Go through the past papers you've done and make a note of all the tiny mistakes you made more than once. Write that out into a list. You could even colour code it by topic if you felt like it.

Then next time you do a past paper. Just read over that list before you start.
Popcorn!! :drool:
Well done with the past papers!! :woo:
Original post by Lemur14
Probably as I posted it like 5 seconds before you did an update :tongue: :eek: :goodluck: Treat it as just a drive with another person rather than a test if you can :smile:
I did a double parked extra narrow, steep hill with a blind bend at the top the other day...am praying that's not on a test route as I spent the whole road petrified someone would come down it and there was literally nowhere to stop! You can do it :rave:
All you can do is try your best so just do that and that's all you can do :yep:

That would make sense! :teehee:
I need all the luck I can get, I’m so nervous this morning I can hardly get myself out of bed I feel awful but I just hope it goes well :argh:
I’m hoping I don’t get the test route with the really steep double parked hill start on it because I freak out every time I turn down that road :eek3:
Thanks again :heart:
Original post by entertainmyfaith
need to watch deadpool 2:lol:
well done on doing those papers, you're doing great:hugs:

It was good! Definitely different to the first in some aspects
And thank you! :woo:
Original post by MajorFader
12 marks integration by substitution question? On AQA? What year was it? I have essentially ran out of past papers for AQA C3, and I need something to ‘binge-practice’ on till the exam lol.

It was actually 4 marks of just standard integration (I think that’s what the first bit was) then an 8 mark substitution. It was January 2013 AQA C3 I think!
Original post by 04MR17
Right. Try this for C3. I did it for most of my units last year and it kinda worked.

Go through the past papers you've done and make a note of all the tiny mistakes you made more than once. Write that out into a list. You could even colour code it by topic if you felt like it.

Then next time you do a past paper. Just read over that list before you start.

Hmm I’ll give that a go! Worth trying anything at this point. Thanks :yep:

Original post by nyxnko_
Popcorn!! :drool:
Well done with the past papers!! :woo:

Thank you lovely! I want more popcorn now not gonna lie :lol:
Original post by EmilySarah00
That would make sense! :teehee:
I need all the luck I can get, I’m so nervous this morning I can hardly get myself out of bed I feel awful but I just hope it goes well :argh:
I’m hoping I don’t get the test route with the really steep double parked hill start on it because I freak out every time I turn down that road :eek3:
Thanks again :heart:
I don't know what time your test is but you can do it:rave:
Just be glad you don't have to do it backwards...sounds exactly like our drive only you have to back up it and it's absolutely terrifying (and I still can't do it :facepalm:)
You're welcome :heart:

When I got home, which was pretty late and I was tired, I did the last question on the Core 3 paper I started which was a rather disgusting 12 mark integration question, most of which was a huge substitution. I managed to mess it up by making a stupid small error when multiplying indices and that resorted in me dropping some marks on that one but I'll blame how tired I was. I then marked the whole thing and I got 64/75 which was a (fairly low) A. I really can't shake the A in Core 3, it's always a silly few marks here and there, never a major mistake, but it always puts me about 10-12 marks down which is out of that A* territory and I just don't know how to fix it, plus now I'm running out of the harder papers too!

A way to avoid making these mistakes is to get a calculator which can do definite integration and solve equations. This way you can check your answer and you'll know if you've made any mistakes. The calculator I used was the CASIO fx-991ES PLUS. It's allowed in exams and it helps so much on differentiation, integration questions and also with solving equations.

Thank you lovely! I want more popcorn now not gonna lie :lol:

Same :colondollar:
Original post by Lemur14
I don't know what time your test is but you can do it:rave:
Just be glad you don't have to do it backwards...sounds exactly like our drive only you have to back up it and it's absolutely terrifying (and I still can't do it :facepalm:)
You're welcome :heart:

It didn't go so great but I'm about to write a post about that..
And yeah I am glad about that one, backwards sounds like a nightmare!

Original post by MR1999
A way to avoid making these mistakes is to get a calculator which can do definite integration and solve equations. This way you can check your answer and you'll know if you've made any mistakes. The calculator I used was the CASIO fx-991ES PLUS. It's allowed in exams and it helps so much on differentiation, integration questions and also with solving equations.

I've definitely considered this in the past but now seems a little late to be learning how to operate a new calculator, I do definitely see your point and part of me wishes I got one earlier but yeah, having just bought a new calculator for exams I'm not really prepared to buy (and learn to use) another!

Original post by nyxnko_
Same :colondollar:

I wish cinema popcorn was made available to me 24/7! :lol:
I wish cinema popcorn was made available to me 24/7! :lol:

I know right? :yum: Especially the really nice butter-y ones :wink:
31/05/18 Update - My First Driving Test Attempt :cry2: :

Sooo... Today was my first driving test, I got up nice and early, I was out of bed by 10AM and I wasn't being picked up by my instructor until 12:15PM so I had a good while to get organised. After having a shower I made pancakes for breakfast in an effort to get some nice food down me before going out, and I even had time to watch some Netflix afterwards.

Then 12:15 rolled around and I drove for an hour before my lesson, I practised parallel parking, reversing on the right and the emergency stop and they all went really well. My instructor said if that hour had been my test I should have passed.

And then came the test itself, the examiner didn't look very friendly which wasn't a good start. She made me read a number plate and then asked me a question before we set off driving. We then started off on the route. I was made to pull up on the left and just drive on like 3 times in the first 5 minutes which I really wasn't expecting. I also didn't get the sat-nav which I was prepared for but also wasn't really expecting.

Honestly I thought the whole test went alright, my independent drive was fine, I had to park in a bay (the only manoeuvre I hadn't practised the hour before my test) and that went ok, I was between the lines and everything, and then the only thing that really stressed me out was I stalled on my way back to the test centre because I forgot I was in second gear not first but I thought I recovered it alright.

So when I got back I actually thought I had a good chance of passing, it hadn't gone as badly as I thought it might, but... I failed. The examiner proceeded to explain where I failed, it was one major which was apparently an encounter on a double parked road where I squeezed through too tight a gap, honestly I don't remember any such a thing because I always physically whince when going through tight spaces (I just hate it) and that really didn't happen on the test. I also got a fair few minors for mirrors and apparently inappropriate speed up to junctions?! (smh) but honestly I thought I'd managed a pass.

I ended up coming home and crying for a solid 2 hours, I don't really know, it all just got to me, I'm so stressed at the minute that I hoped I could just get one thing out of the way, a weight off my shoulders, and passing my test would have done just that, but of course me being unlucky as I am, that didn't happen.

This made the rest of today a write off, I didn't get home until gone half 2, cried until at least half 4 and then just made rocky road in an attempt to calm down. Harry is coming round now I think to cheer me up even more so no revision is getting done tonight but honestly I wasn't in the mood anyway.

So yeah... gotta try again I guess?
- Emily

Tags:

Spoiler

(edited 5 years ago)
aw, i'm sorry emily:console: driving tests sound so stressful!:redface:
i'm sure you'll pass next time round, don't stress yourself out too much but you have every right to be upset:hugs::yep:
You’ll get through it...

The best thing about life is that we are able to learn from our mistakes ☝🏾✅
It didn't go so great but I'm about to write a post about that..
And yeah I am glad about that one, backwards sounds like a nightmare!

aww :console: That sounds really unfair...I can totally relate to that wince, I do it all the time even when I have my instructor right there going it's fine, you can fit! So I totally see that you'd remember if you went somewhere quite tight :yep: I didn't realise you didn't always get the sat-nav :redface: My instructor says mirrors are really easy to get minors for so as long as you are checking them at appropriate moments (eg. before you signal not after as I have a tendency to do :facepalm:) then I wouldn't worry. Really feeling for you right now, as it does sound very harsh and that you drove really well (although admittedly I'm judging that from the fact that you usually say you drove terribly and you didn't today).
It's certainly not fun...I literally avoid it at all costs, so I've only done it like twice :afraid: The way the roads work around here then in reality I can avoid it at least 9/10 times unless my instructor makes me (plus I could always turn around and go up the stupid drive forwards, which while isn't fun, is 1000x better than backwards even if my instructor likes to tell me it's illegal :redface:)
Driving test schmiving test. You can do it again and they just found tiny things to annoy you with. No big deal.

Focus on what matters and keep your head in the game!:yep:
Original post by entertainmyfaith
aw, i'm sorry emily:console: driving tests sound so stressful!:redface:
i'm sure you'll pass next time round, don't stress yourself out too much but you have every right to be upset:hugs::yep:

Ah it's alright, and they are a bit!
I hope next time goes better, thank you for the kind words :yep:

Original post by MajorFader
You’ll get through it...

The best thing about life is that we are able to learn from our mistakes ☝🏾✅

Yeah despite not making that many.. I will make more of an effort with mirrors next time :lol:

Original post by Lemur14
aww :console: That sounds really unfair...I can totally relate to that wince, I do it all the time even when I have my instructor right there going it's fine, you can fit! So I totally see that you'd remember if you went somewhere quite tight :yep: I didn't realise you didn't always get the sat-nav :redface: My instructor says mirrors are really easy to get minors for so as long as you are checking them at appropriate moments (eg. before you signal not after as I have a tendency to do :facepalm:) then I wouldn't worry. Really feeling for you right now, as it does sound very harsh and that you drove really well (although admittedly I'm judging that from the fact that you usually say you drove terribly and you didn't today).
It's certainly not fun...I literally avoid it at all costs, so I've only done it like twice :afraid: The way the roads work around here then in reality I can avoid it at least 9/10 times unless my instructor makes me (plus I could always turn around and go up the stupid drive forwards, which while isn't fun, is 1000x better than backwards even if my instructor likes to tell me it's illegal :redface:)

Yeah I'm pretty gutted but there's nothing I can do now! And I'm going to have to wait a while for my next test because I'm just so busy, might do it just after I get back from holiday I suppose? :hmmm:
Glad you relate with that whice though! I usually don't believe the car will fit somewhere even when it will :laugh:
Of course it was a double parked road that got me as well *eye roll*
But yeah I thought I made a good fist of it, I guess all I can hope now is I get a nicer examiner next time and drive just as well if not better :lol:

Original post by 04MR17
Driving test schmiving test. You can do it again and they just found tiny things to annoy you with. No big deal.

Focus on what matters and keep your head in the game!:yep:

Yeah it's very unfair but I'm over it I guess, today was back to revision :yy:
01/06/18 Update - Computer Science Crackdown :cyber: :

Today has been pretty dull really, I wanted a lie in so I stayed in bed until 10:30AM. I haven't been getting that much sleep lately so it felt really nice to just lie in bed. I then got up and by 11:00AM I started on Computer Science Quizlets. I made a few more sets which took me about an hour and then I started going over them for another half hour then stopped for lunch at 12:30PM because I was very hot and bothered. :headfire:

After an hour lunch break I took just under an hour completing a sheet of Core 4 Differential Equations questions I printed off as it is my worst topic. It went okay though actually, I managed to do all the 5 questions only dropping 1 mark on 1 of them for forgetting a '+ C' :facepalm:

Then I'd really had enough because I'm the most unmotivated person ever so I took a 1 and a half hour break to just watch some Netflix and chill out. In this time I also ordered a bag and shoes for my Prom which is in a months time and I'm super excited about them because they match! I also bought an outfit for after prom as well, overall I felt very accomplished :teehee:

When I finally got back to work at about 4:00PM I went back on to Quizlet for more definition learning, after about 45 minutes though I got very fed up again and started wondering how much this was helping me, like I know it helps me learn definitions but it doesn't mean it helps me apply them, so I stopped and headed to the course specification.

Reading through the specification I realised a lot of the course content I thought was actually on the second paper is on the first, in fact there's not much of the course on the second paper at all, literally all the theory is on the first. This majorly freaked me out and I suddenly felt super unprepared so I decided to print off the specification and highlight each bullet point with a level of confidence (high, mid, or low)

The majority of stuff I'm half confident with, like I know about it but not in detail. At this point I've no idea what to do for the best so I decided to start the Specimen for the first paper since I have 2 past papers for each paper to go off and this was the first.

I sat outside and spent about an hour doing the first few questions of the paper, it was really hard if I'm honest, the first lot of questions consisted of all the stuff I'm not that confident with that I didn't even realise was on our first paper and I felt like I was just blagging my way through the whole thing. This isn't that promising since the exam is a week on Monday. :argh:

After a while on the paper I did stop, and I'm going to carry on tomorrow, in fact I plan to hopefully finish it and mark it, as well as doing something else, probably a Core 4 paper too. However this Computer Science paper goes will decide my next plan of attack, if it goes really badly I'll really ram down on my weak topics and if not I'll carry on doing what I'm doing, keeping refreshing myself on the whole course.

Really regretting leaving everything last minute, if only I'd made physical flashcards back in March or something... I guess I can't fix that now... I can just carry on. :dontknow:

Until tomorrow,
- Emily

Happy Friday Pals! :rave: :

Spoiler

(edited 5 years ago)
@EmilySarah00 would it be possible to be removed from the tagged list for the time being? only because the notifications keep drawing me back to TSR procrastination xD
Original post by 10cking
@EmilySarah00 would it be possible to be removed from the tagged list for the time being? only because the notifications keep drawing me back to TSR procrastination xD

That's fine, don't worry, I feel ya! :rofl:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending