Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My options deadline are coming up soon and right now I take both German and Chinese for GCSE but can't decide which one to pick for IB! I've been studying Chinese since primary school and started German 4 years ago. I speak Chinese at home but not Mandarin and I'm not that good at reading/writing. I can't take both languages since I plan on taking two sciences as I want to study dentistry for uni. I'm achieving an A in Chinese (second lang) and A* in German right now. However, my school gives the option of HL Chinese B or SL Chinese A for second language students as SL B is only for foreign language students. Personally, I enjoy German more but I heard that it is hard to achieve a 7 for SL B German. Is it true? Can someone help me out? Preferably, someone who take these languages and tell me how you're finding it? Thanks!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Getting an 7 in any HL subject is going to be harder than in any SL subject. Languages A are essentially literature options (like your group 1 English) so if you struggle to read and write you will probably do poorly.

Thus it seems German is the logical choice, given it's a strength for you, something you enjoy, and is SL but not assuming language proficiency.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    Getting an 7 in any HL subject is going to be harder than in any SL subject. Languages A are essentially literature options (like your group 1 English) so if you struggle to read and write you will probably do poorly.

Thus it seems German is the logical choice, given it's a strength for you, something you enjoy, and is SL but not assuming language proficiency.
    Hmm yea I agree. Thanks for the advice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trisha_c)
    My options deadline are coming up soon and right now I take both German and Chinese for GCSE but can't decide which one to pick for IB! I've been studying Chinese since primary school and started German 4 years ago. I speak Chinese at home but not Mandarin and I'm not that good at reading/writing. I can't take both languages since I plan on taking two sciences as I want to study dentistry for uni. I'm achieving an A in Chinese (second lang) and A* in German right now. However, my school gives the option of HL Chinese B or SL Chinese A for second language students as SL B is only for foreign language students. Personally, I enjoy German more but I heard that it is hard to achieve a 7 for SL B German. Is it true? Can someone help me out? Preferably, someone who take these languages and tell me how you're finding it? Thanks!
    I started in SL German A and switched to HL German B - my school thought I could take A because I am half german but bare in mind it's meant for fluent native speakers (which I am most certainly not). I would take german B if I was you its a good course. Also if you do take it a tip would be making flashcards of 10 words surrounding each subtopic (e.g. Oktoberfest) and learn the formats off by heart!

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.