The Student Room Group

Will I get into to Cambridge or st. Andrews with these gcse's?

I got:
A*SCIENCE
A*SCIENCE
A*MEDIA
A*PSYCHOLOGY
B English literature
B history
B MATHS
C English lang
D re
D drama
E spanish

If I get three A's as As and three A*'s do I even have a chance of getting into ST ANDREWS or Cambridge. If so which one?
Thank you in advance
This will be to study history or English or classics. I can't decide which one I love them all.
Reply 1
Well I think you might not get a chance really because half your grades are really good but then unfortunately the other half has let you down . But if you feel like you will smash your alevels by getting all a* then I think you might have a slight chance but its upto you if you are willing to sacrifice one of your precious university places for Cambridge
Cambridge puts almost no weight on GCSEs as they and others have stated numerous times. If you bother looking in the recent Christs'/Peterhouse AT thread you can see them state about 15 times apiece that GCSEs aren't an important metric to them, Cambridge students having an "average" of 6 A*s is purely a correlation and implies no causal relationship, and that neither of those colleges (and likely most others) have ever rejected a student on the basis of GCSEs alone.

Also this is the wrong forum for this question.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
Cambridge puts almost no weight on GCSEs as they and others have stated numerous times. If you bother looking in the recent Christs'/Peterhouse AT thread you can see them state about 15 times apiece that GCSEs aren't an important metric to them, Cambridge students having an "average" of 6 A*s is purely a correlation and implies no causal relationship, and that neither of those colleges (and likely most others) have ever rejected a student on the basis of GCSEs alone.

I did wonder where to put this. And I thought they at least want to see some A's.
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger

Original post by punkbreath
I did wonder where to put this. And I thought they at least want to see some A's.

Moved to Applications, Clearing and UCAS :smile:

No, as @artful_lounger mentioned your GCSEs, which are good anyway, don't matter so much for Cambridge. The HAA or ELAT will be more important, as will other aspects of your application.

However given your possible course choice(s) I suspect they might be a problem for St Andrews. i.e. not having A/A* in your intended or related subjects.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending