A*PSYCHOLOGY
    B English literature
    B history
    B MATHS
    C English lang
    D re
    D drama
    E spanish

If I get three A's as As and three A*'s do I even have a chance of getting into ST ANDREWS or Cambridge. If so which one?
    Thank you in advance
    This will be to study history or English or classics. I can't decide which one I love them all.

ReputationRep:
    Well I think you might not get a chance really because half your grades are really good but then unfortunately the other half has let you down . But if you feel like you will smash your alevels by getting all a* then I think you might have a slight chance but its upto you if you are willing to sacrifice one of your precious university places for Cambridge
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge puts almost no weight on GCSEs as they and others have stated numerous times. If you bother looking in the recent Christs'/Peterhouse AT thread you can see them state about 15 times apiece that GCSEs aren't an important metric to them, Cambridge students having an "average" of 6 A*s is purely a correlation and implies no causal relationship, and that neither of those colleges (and likely most others) have ever rejected a student on the basis of GCSEs alone.

Also this is the wrong forum for this question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    Cambridge puts almost no weight on GCSEs as they and others have stated numerous times. If you bother looking in the recent Christs'/Peterhouse AT thread you can see them state about 15 times apiece that GCSEs aren't an important metric to them, Cambridge students having an "average" of 6 A*s is purely a correlation and implies no causal relationship, and that neither of those colleges (and likely most others) have ever rejected a student on the basis of GCSEs alone.

I did wonder where to put this. And I thought they at least want to see some A's.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    (Original post by punkbreath)
    I did wonder where to put this. And I thought they at least want to see some A's.
    Moved to Applications, Clearing and UCAS

No, as artful_lounger mentioned your GCSEs, which are good anyway, don't matter so much for Cambridge. The HAA or ELAT will be more important, as will other aspects of your application.

However given your possible course choice(s) I suspect they might be a problem for St Andrews. i.e. not having A/A* in your intended or related subjects.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.