The Student Room Group

Volunteering time (CAB) LAW

I've had my induction for citizens advice to be an information assistant. I originally applied to be an advisor but I was told this takes 12 months on average to train for and as I am going to uni in September this is out of the question really. I don't want to try to cram it into 8 months as it is a gap year I have taken it for a reason - a gap!
The information assistant role has some but not a lot of training, which suits me at the moment as I am trying to do some of the openlearn free courses to boost my personal statement.
I want to do law at uni and want to apply to russel group/good universities, and have the grades to go to Oxbridge but choosing not to. I know how competitive these unis are and want to know
- If volunteering is the closest to LEGAL work experience I have whatsoever (I do work 4 days a week separately), what is a respectable amount of hours I should aim to do? I was thinking if I do about 30-50 that is a reasonable level. Its opening hours are only 10-1pm so it would be 3 hours a week. I could then do approx. 3 to 4 months? I'm planning on travelling in summer so I couldn't theoretically continue right up until I leave for uni. In talks and things they have said they expect at least 6 months in general and obviously the advisor role requires 12 months. To say it is (obviously) unpaid and it will take me 30 mins by car and 1 hr by bus each way, would you say this is usual?
- Would the role of information assistant be respected in respect of doing law at uni? I hear that not a lot of people have any experience, but in comparison to being an advisor is it still good? He more or less said I wouldn't be respected as an advisor properly because I am a lot younger than everyone haha
Original post by javvyjingle
I've had my induction for citizens advice to be an information assistant. I originally applied to be an advisor but I was told this takes 12 months on average to train for and as I am going to uni in September this is out of the question really. I don't want to try to cram it into 8 months as it is a gap year I have taken it for a reason - a gap!
The information assistant role has some but not a lot of training, which suits me at the moment as I am trying to do some of the openlearn free courses to boost my personal statement.
I want to do law at uni and want to apply to russel group/good universities, and have the grades to go to Oxbridge but choosing not to. I know how competitive these unis are and want to know
- If volunteering is the closest to LEGAL work experience I have whatsoever (I do work 4 days a week separately), what is a respectable amount of hours I should aim to do? I was thinking if I do about 30-50 that is a reasonable level. Its opening hours are only 10-1pm so it would be 3 hours a week. I could then do approx. 3 to 4 months? I'm planning on travelling in summer so I couldn't theoretically continue right up until I leave for uni. In talks and things they have said they expect at least 6 months in general and obviously the advisor role requires 12 months. To say it is (obviously) unpaid and it will take me 30 mins by car and 1 hr by bus each way, would you say this is usual?
- Would the role of information assistant be respected in respect of doing law at uni? I hear that not a lot of people have any experience, but in comparison to being an advisor is it still good? He more or less said I wouldn't be respected as an advisor properly because I am a lot younger than everyone haha

Its down to the individual CAB how much they let you do.
You can help by identifying what people are asking for and seeing if you have the relevant information. Advisors are similar except they have more knowledge and able to understand then solve more complicated situations.

When you start the ask questions, get used to their system on how they look up problems and then sit in on telephone advice and actual interviews. that way you can learn.

Work experience isnt really required for application, but it doesnt do you any harm and will give you things to talk about. Try and get involved so you can come across as someone who has assisted in applying law and solving problems rather than something passive just to fill your CV. That way you can come across as an assistant adviser.

I would say about 3 months would be ok.

You can also try to get other work experience or even better a job that pays money. Uni courses are really more interested in your potential as an academic student rather than being a practicing lawyer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending