The Student Room Group

I want to become a military sniper instead of going to uni

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Anonymous7932
So this is me,
I love sniper rifles and everything to do with snipers. It is my passion. Do you think training to become a military sniper instead of going to Uni is a good idea?

The army needs more people

If you're passionate about it and accept the risks, i'd say go for it.......
Original post by Anonymous7932
So this is me,
I love sniper rifles and everything to do with snipers. It is my passion. Do you think training to become a military sniper instead of going to Uni is a good idea?

I know someone who's going into the RAF instead of Uni. Great pay and he does what he wants, plus, if he wants to get a degree later on in life the army pays for him so even if you still want to go, it's always there. My advice would be to finish college, try and get your A-Levels/BTEC/whatever and then go to the army.
Being a sniper take a lot more skill that simply the rifle and shooting.

You have to learn camouflage, breathing techniques the ability to stay alert when laying in one position for hours in wet, cold or through humidity, heat and dehydration.

The big issue is as a sniper you see up close of the people you will kill. It is not like firing an assault rifle and wondering if you actually are responsible for the death of another human being. As a sniper you will see the whites of their eyes, their expressions, fear and maybe even the people they are close to. You will see first-hand the actual grusome result of your trade.

This is why snipers undergo more mental assessment than most other serving soldiers. The risk of mental health issues is much higher.

Considering all this the military do need people that can do this and if you feel you have the 99% non-shooting attributes considering the bullet is a tiny part of the operation then fine.

A degree will however give you a fast-track to being an officer and you can work on your techniques through the training core or TA while at university.
I really hope this is a wind-up, but I've seen people apply to join the army talking about their love of guns and knives during the application process. They didn't get in. The recruitment teams know how to weed out wannabes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending