The Student Room Group

Applying for Chemical Engineering via Natural Sciences

Hello,
This question has really been bothering me for a while and I haven't been able to get a straight answer from anyone yet so here goes:
Will taking four subjects at A level give me an edge when it comes to applying for the Cambridge Chemical Engineering via Natural Sciences Course? If so, how can I make make myself standout with only three?
Original post by coolboy123
Hello,
This question has really been bothering me for a while and I haven't been able to get a straight answer from anyone yet so here goes:
Will taking four subjects at A level give me an edge when it comes to applying for the Cambridge Chemical Engineering via Natural Sciences Course? If so, how can I make make myself standout with only three?
Hiya:hi:

Personal Statement, Interview, admissions tests are all the way that Cambridge builds their holistic assessment of a candidate.

The grades are far more important than the number of qualifications.

I've moved your thread into this sub-forum in case anyone else here has further information to give you.:smile:

MR
Reply 2
Hello,

By doing very well in those three subjects, and in the NSAA (NatSci Admissions Assessment) and all the other aspects of your application.

Which 3 A-levels are you doing?
Reply 3
Original post by Doonesbury
By doing very well in those three subjects, and in the NSAA (NatSci Admissions Assessment) and all the other aspects of your application.

Which 3 A-levels are you doing?

I am doing physics, chemistry, maths and further maths for AS this year. I'm planning on dropping further maths next year
Reply 4
I am doing physics, chemistry, maths and further maths for AS this year. I'm planning on dropping further maths next year

Why? It will be helpful for the course, and to be honest most applicants will have it.
Why would you drop further maths if you are doing it atm?
Reply 6
Why? It will be helpful for the course, and to be honest most applicants will have it.

I haven't really made up my mind yet. But since everyone seems to tell me to take it, I most probably will.
Reply 7
I haven't really made up my mind yet. But since everyone seems to tell me to take it, I most probably will.

See how you do in Y12 (are you actually sitting the ASs or just mocks?) and then decide, but if possible it is a good idea to keep FM all the way to full A-level.

It would be different if your school didn't offer it, but if they do it's usual to do it for Cambridge. You will be doing FM (and much more) maths at Cambridge...
Reply 8
See how you do in Y12 (are you actually sitting the ASs or just mocks?) and then decide, but if possible it is a good idea to keep FM all the way to full A-level.

It would be different if your school didn't offer it, but if they do it's usual to do it for Cambridge. You will be doing FM (and much more) maths at Cambridge...

I am sitting the AS. I really get what you mean. what's the point of applying to cambridge if you won't put in the effort, right?😂. Thank you for your help. Much appreciated
Reply 9
I am sitting the AS. I really get what you mean. what's the point of applying to cambridge if you won't put in the effort, right?😂. Thank you for your help. Much appreciated

It's a slightly tricky one... Basically 3 A-levels are fine. And applying for NatSci without FM is also fine. BUT you have already started 4 subjects, all of which are relevant and it would look a bit odd to drop any of them. If anything, the least relevant is, counter-intuitively, Chemistry but because you are going down the NatSci route it's required if you want to do the Chemistry module in Y1.

So in your particular case it does make sense to keep all 4.
Reply 10
It's a slightly tricky one... Basically 3 A-levels are fine. And applying for NatSci without FM is also fine. BUT you have already started 4 subjects, all of which are relevant and it would look a bit odd to drop any of them. If anything, the least relevant is, counter-intuitively, Chemistry but because you are going down the NatSci route it's required if you want to do the Chemistry module in Y1.

So in your particular case it does make sense to keep all 4.

You seem like someone I can very much trust. I will see how it all pans out after my AS exams. After what you have said, I am seriously reconsidering keeping FM. Only hard work and time can tell what happens next. Thanks a lot
Reply 11
You seem like someone I can very much trust. I will see how it all pans out after my AS exams. After what you have said, I am seriously reconsidering keeping FM. Only hard work and time can tell what happens next. Thanks a lot

No problem and good luck!

Maybe join the 2019 Hopefulls thread and endure the roller-coaster that is the Cambridge application process :smile:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4411262

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending