The Student Room Group

Who is the best Prime minister ever?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GovernmentEarner
Who voted for winston post-war? lmao

I did. Only cause I didn't read the OP before voting :lol: Really should have been included in the title.
Winston Curchill
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
I did. Only cause I didn't read the OP before voting :lol: Really should have been included in the title.

probably :dontknow:
Original post by georgelagalle
Winston Curchill

Churchill* post-war?
probably :dontknow:

You can edit the title, just FYI. Edit your first post, then click Preview post. When that menu comes up you should be able to edit the title as well as the post :smile:
Voted Atlee for the creation of the NHS. Didn't he preside over the dismantling of the British raj in India too?

:redface:
Great to see Clement Attlee leading the charge.
Original post by Napp
Well he wasnt the PM when the deficit expanded and you can hardly blame him for not being able to do much about it after the Americans wrecked the economy.

And as for the withdrawal from Iraq you said you dont give him credit but you didn't appear to fault him for it.

When he was campaigning to win the Labour election or in his first 100 days, he made no mention of wanting to reduce the deficit, he ducked difficult decisions. cant scapegoat america, for everything that went wrong with the UK economy.

I dont blame him for the Iraq War, as he like everyone else was misled by a small clique around blair. I do blame him for trying to introduce ID cards, 40+ detension, favouring a graduate tax, abolishing 10% tax rate.

Even if he did attempt to it would have made essentially no difference considering there was A GLOBAL CRASH

If he attempted and failed I would give him credit, it would show prudence on his part, saving money for bad times in the future like Hammond is now. Instead Brown wasted time toying with another election when he could have been thinking of ways to balance the books.

Global Crash sure, but its about how you respond to it and how well you prepared for it
Original post by hannah00
When he was campaigning to win the Labour election or in his first 100 days, he made no mention of wanting to reduce the deficit, he ducked difficult decisions. cant scapegoat america, for everything that went wrong with the UK economy.

I dont blame him for the Iraq War, as he like everyone else was misled by a small clique around blair. I do blame him for trying to introduce ID cards, 40+ detension, favouring a graduate tax, abolishing 10% tax rate.

If he attempted and failed I would give him credit, it would show prudence on his part, saving money for bad times in the future like Hammond is now. Instead Brown wasted time toying with another election when he could have been thinking of ways to balance the books.

Global Crash sure, but its about how you respond to it and how well you prepared for it

'How well you prepared for it', like 2% of economists predicted it and 'How you respond to it' Brown responded aptly.
'How well you prepared for it', like 2% of economists predicted it and 'How you respond to it' Brown responded aptly.

im not spending ages debating over the internet someone who is no longer in politics.

I presented my view and explained why, up to you to make your mind. agree to disagree

2% predicted ? recessions and the business cycle are a fact of life and happen in every generation.
Reply 50

With respect to the economic issue I think you'll find I can blame America, the recession is universally acknowledged to be their fault with their ridiculous scam on sub-prime mortgages. The fact they exported it around the world and European banks etc. were stupid enough to get in on the act doesnt exculpate them..

Mmm maybe, maybe not I mean my personal opinion on that is anyone who believed blair was either willfully ignorant or simply knew it was a lie and did nothing, it would have taken a special kind of moron to think they were telling the truth that a 3rd world state had an offensive nuclear arsenal.

Fair enough on your other points though.
Original post by Napp
With respect to the economic issue I think you'll find I can blame America, the recession is universally acknowledged to be their fault with their ridiculous scam on sub-prime mortgages. The fact they exported it around the world and European banks etc. were stupid enough to get in on the act doesnt exculpate them..

Mmm maybe, maybe not I mean my personal opinion on that is anyone who believed blair was either willfully ignorant or simply knew it was a lie and did nothing, it would have taken a special kind of moron to think they were telling the truth that a 3rd world state had an offensive nuclear arsenal.

Fair enough on your other points though.

cool, I guess I just see it another way.

agree to disagree
im not spending ages debating over the internet someone who is no longer in politics.

I presented my view and explained why, up to you to make your mind. agree to disagree

2% predicted ? recessions and the business cycle are a fact of life and happen in every generation.

I think you just conceded that I am right, fairplay.
Reply 53
**UK AND POST-WAR**

For me it's Gordon Brown, that's right, Gordon Brown. I think many will disagree with me and that's fine.

Gordon Brown:
-Pulled troops out of Iraq, 3 years before the US did.
-Stopped Syria acquiring nuclear weapons.
-Stopped a collapse to the world economy. Yes, yes he did.
-Stopped UK entering the euro.
amongst other things such as:
-Free bus passes for the elderly.
-Without Brown Scotland may be independent.

I am referring politicians time as the Prime Minister, not as backbenchers or ministers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFWF6BsHkb8
Original post by Onde
There is a certain irony in being asked to vote for the best Prime Minister when in reality there is no process to directly vote for your choice of Prime Minister.

If I was to be very pedantic, I would have to say you are technically wrong. Regarding the general public you are correct but for party members or MP's that is not the case if a PM steps down invoking a leadership contest. But... I would never be that pedantic...
May and Cameron aren't even options? :rofl:

Will go with Tony, with an honorable mention for Attlee for establishing Labour as a sensible and pragmatic party of government post-war, though I do think that coming out of wartime did give him more public support to increase the role of the state in peacetime in ways that couldn't have been done in the same way otherwise.
Theresa May.

Making leftism gradually more mainstream.
Original post by Trinculo
For me the greatest PM was Mrs T.

Made homeownership a reality for millions

...by selling off the council houses built by Labour + Harold Wilson (sad he hasn't got more votes, imho he's 2nd to Attlee).

Also the combination of Right to Buy and the lack of afforable housing built by the neo-liberals succeeding Thatcher is the reason why we have a housing crisis today.
To be fair 0 for James Callaghan is probably justified.
Clement Attlee

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending