The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
hols
could you take a look at my first draft ps for me? Am really worried that is a load of rubbish and I really want to get in this time so I can't afford for it to be!

Sure - no problem. PM it over :biggrin: Might not get teh chance to look at it until Sunday though, if that's OK.
Reply 21
Thanks, whenever you get the chance will be great. :smile:
Ok am going to be as realistic as possible here but it doesn't seem as though you are academic enough to beckon upon the 6 year MBBS..

there are lots of other courses...... why are you thinking about optometry? If you want to study medicine you should focus entirely on medicine or a related course such as biochemistry.... people seem to be choosing medicine because it is a " respected degree " and people want " doctor " status...
WHAT UNI IN LIVERPOOL DOES MED :redface: ??
Reply 24
when applying for two courses, for example, medicine and optometry, or pharmacy and optometry, are we able to write two personal statements or not...like send one of to the uni's sepeartely, i mean if u merge a optometry ps, with a medicne ps, isnt it likely that ull be rejected from medicine for not being fully comited, and vice versa??
Reply 25
Tazzie
when applying for two courses, for example, medicine and optometry, or pharmacy and optometry, are we able to write two personal statements or not...like send one of to the uni's sepeartely

No, but I have heard sometimes a uni may ask you for a separate PS if say your PS is all medicine but you are also applying for optometry. the optemetry uni may ask you for a separate PS for optomoetry. (Ive only heard this)

Tazzie
i mean if u merge a optometry ps, with a medicne ps, isnt it likely that ull be rejected from medicine for not being fully comited, and vice versa??

Yes, for a highly competitive course and vocation such as medicine any hint of any other course will seriously hinder your application. As for vice versa, if the optometry course is not very popular or their typical grades are low you still have a chance of getting a place; but be prepared for a very awkward interview. So if you are thinking of medicine and optometry try and find a less popular optometry course.
Reply 26
*angelface*
WHAT UNI IN LIVERPOOL DOES MED :redface: ??

University of Liverpool?!
Reply 27
hello every1, im new 2 this cos i typed personal statement in google and this site came up and its good :biggrin:

i also want 2 do med and im in the process of finishing my ps now.....
ive just started a2 and i got some terrible scores at a/s (which isnt going on ucas) im now predicted A(maths) B (bio) C(chem), (altho my school's prediction system is shit as its just wat u got in a/s), and i will do some xtreme hardcore studying in which ill get AAA :biggrin: :wink:

work xperience--
old ppl --> volunteer
consultant surgeon
genetics/biochem (well it was a MRC toxicology lab)
babysitting (haha little kids)

going with the trend b4.. should i apply 4 med? if so which would look at my stuff ... ie that shitty c in chem?? my tutor says she can write a xcellent statement in which she will imply i will 100% get higher then that C

i want 2 apply 2 :
leicester
sheffield
kings
queen mary

which 1 (if any) should i keep, and which should i not apply 4??

..i think i got everything in2 this 1 post :smile:, id appreciate it if some1 looked over it and gave me some nice tips thnx :biggrin:
Reply 28
In all honesty, no. You have failed to show that you are capable of the academic requirements of the course, and you aren't showing any signs that you will actually get your 'predicted grades'. If you really want to do medicine though, then you may want to get in via an alternative route. Try nursing, science or another type of degree and get in via the graduate route. There's also a 6 year course in southampton with requirements of around BBC that you may get into.

I seriously doubt that you will get accepted to med school, and in my opinion you will reducing your chances of becoming a doctor by applying.

Just a question: Why don't you want to be a nurse? You will get a job with a strong sense of vocation, in the same workplace, with good pay.
nurses? Good pay? Whatever....
Reply 30
calamity jane
nurses? Good pay? Whatever....

They can earn upto 40K. You can take the silver spoon out of your arse if you think that that is poor.
Reply 31
Kaos

Just a question: Why don't you want to be a nurse? You will get a job with a strong sense of vocation, in the same workplace, with good pay.

Nursing is hardly the same as medicine. Ok socially nursing is more intimate. But medicine is rigorously scientific, more responsibility, so much variety in career.

Latest

Trending

Trending