The Student Room Group

6 figure grid refrence

im wondering if anyone knew how to write out six figure grid refrence??
for geography?
Original post by Rian Coyle
im wondering if anyone knew how to write out six figure grid refrence??

6 figure grid references are divided into 2 sets of numbers, so 3 for the x axis and 3 for the y axis. The first 2 figures in each set of 3 identifies the bottom left corner of the grid square you're referencing. For example, the x axis of the grid square (i.e. going along the bottom) might be 20, and the y axis of the grid square (i.e. going up the left hand side) might be 83. The grid reference is written with the x axis reference first, so 20_83_.

To get the third number in each reference, divide the grid square with 10 divisions going along the bottom and up the side, then write down the number of the division which lines up with the feature you're referencing, e.g. 7 along the x axis and 3 up the y axis. Your full six figure grid reference will therefore be 207833.

I hope that makes sense? :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Leviathan1741
6 figure grid references are divided into 2 sets of numbers, so 3 for the x axis and 3 for the y axis. The first 2 figures in each set of 3 identifies the bottom left corner of the grid square you're referencing. For example, the x axis of the grid square (i.e. going along the bottom) might be 20, and the y axis of the grid square (i.e. going up the left hand side) might be 83. The grid reference is written with the x axis reference first, so 20_83_.

To get the third number in each reference, divide the grid square with 10 divisions going along the bottom and up the side, then write down the number of the division which lines up with the feature you're referencing, e.g. 7 along the x axis and 3 up the y axis. Your full six figure grid reference will therefore be 207833.

I hope that makes sense? :smile:

that was great thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending