The Student Room Group

Planning to study in London a good idea?

Hello all,

Just wanted to get some input from you guys.
I’m an EU student, took two years after school and plan on studying Law (preferably with Criminology or Criminal Justice) in London.
Here are the questions I have:

1) Best universities in terms of student life, accommodation and support (excluding Imperial College, UCL, King’s... I’m not that smart :biggrin:).

2) Unis I’m currently looking into are Brunel Uni, London South Bank, City Uni of London, Uni of Westminster, Birbeck Uni. If anyone has experience or info on how these unis are, go ahead and share it!

3) Is life in London significantly more expensive than small towns like Bristol or Southampton?

4) A bit off topic and I doubt anyone could answer this at this point, but what with Brexit looming after closer, what happens once I get the LLB? Can I work in the UK legal system freely? Or the police? I know it’s possible for EU residents now, but what about in 3 years’ time?

That’s all guys and gals. Feel free to discuss the situation...

Thanks in advance for the help!
Original post by RickyN7
Hello all,

I’m an EU student, took two years after school and plan on studying Law (preferably with Criminology or Criminal Justice) in London.

1) Best universities in terms of student life, accommodation and support (excluding Imperial College, UCL, King’s... I’m not that smart :biggrin:).

2) Unis I’m currently looking into are Brunel Uni, London South Bank, City Uni of London, Uni of Westminster, Birbeck Uni. If anyone has experience or info on how these unis are, go ahead and share it!

3) Is life in London significantly more expensive than small towns like Bristol or Southampton?

4) A bit off topic and I doubt anyone could answer this at this point, but what with Brexit looming after closer, what happens once I get the LLB? Can I work in the UK legal system freely? Or the police? I know it’s possible for EU residents now, but what about in 3 years’ time?

You appear to be looking at some pretty dubious standard universities, simply because they are located in London. That is a bad idea. You need to look at job prospects in your preferred careers, coming out of those universities. Then consider whether it is really the best decision to go to a so-so university in London, as compared to a better university in the rest of the UK or elsewhere in the EU.

Yes, the cost of living in London is eye-wateringly expensive. Accommodation in particular is pricey and you may need to travel further to get to uni than you would at a university outside London.

Finally Brexit: it is very likely that you will need a visa to work in a UK law firm after Brexit. Qualifying in the UK is already highly competitive, and obtaining a training contract is very hard. You should research whether it might be easier to qualify in your own country then come to the UK as a qualified lawyer. I don't know whether it will be, but you should look at that.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by RickyN7
Hello all,

I would recommend QMUL and City Uni, both have excellent job prospects. I would say if you start applying to Southbank, Westminster, Birbeck you are better off studying somewhere else because they all suck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending