The Student Room Group

UCAS application advantage?

My teacher just said to me that if you do an oxbridge application, unis like bham and keele will want you more because these students tend to do better.

So he said, if you wanted to go to bham, apply for oxbridge by 15 oct but once u get ur offers, firm bham. He said they are more likely to give offers.

Is this true?
My teachers said the same. Aslong as you have the grades/predictions required you will get a place anyway (aslong as personal statement shows enthusiasm for the course).

In my opinion sending your UCAS early is good because you have 1 less thing to worry about
no - other universities don't know where you applied to
Reply 3
Original post by fudthecrud
My teacher just said to me that if you do an oxbridge application, unis like bham and keele will want you more because these students tend to do better.

So he said, if you wanted to go to bham, apply for oxbridge by 15 oct but once u get ur offers, firm bham. He said they are more likely to give offers.

Is this true?

unis can't see where else you applied before you get offers so no it's not.
Reply 4
Original post by fxlloutboyy
no - other universities don't know where you applied to

date received shows them its oxbridge application

read the damn op
Reply 5
Original post by Aph
unis can't see where else you applied before you get offers so no it's not.

same for you
Reply 6
date received shows them its oxbridge application

read the damn op

So you're saying if you apply early? the date says nothing about it being Oxbridge or not.
just because you apply early doesn't mean your an oxbridge applicant
Reply 8
Original post by Aph
So you're saying if you apply early? the date says nothing about it being Oxbridge or not.

so my teacher is wrong?
Reply 9
Original post by Sanjith Hegde123
just because you apply early doesn't mean your an oxbridge applicant

ye thought that 2
Reply 10
so my teacher is wrong?

Applying early with a strong application looks like you have your **** together, which is a good thing. But applying early with a rubbish application will get you rejected. Ultimately if you can have everything ready to go the earlier the better but don’t rush for the Oxbridge deadline if you aren’t going for oxbridge.
Reply 11
Original post by Aph
Applying early with a strong application looks like you have your **** together, which is a good thing. But applying early with a rubbish application will get you rejected. Ultimately if you can have everything ready to go the earlier the better but don’t rush for the Oxbridge deadline if you aren’t going for oxbridge.

ok thanks

also they have a limited no. of places so early application is good for that right
so my teacher is wrong?

Yes
ok thanks

also they have a limited no. of places so early application is good for that right

There's no limited number of OFFERS - universities are experienced in dealing with applications up to the deadline fairly. Applying early does not positively affect your chances of an offer (in a small minority of cases it can actually do the opposite). We know how to do this fairly whether you apply on 1st September or at 4:59 on 15 January.

Anyone who says otherwise simply doesn't understand how admissions is handled in a university.
Reply 13
Original post by PQ
Yes

There's no limited number of OFFERS - universities are experienced in dealing with applications up to the deadline fairly. Applying early does not positively affect your chances of an offer (in a small minority of cases it can actually do the opposite). We know how to do this fairly whether you apply on 1st September or at 4:59 on 15 January.

Anyone who says otherwise simply doesn't understand how admissions is handled in a university.

so when i apply before the deadline doesnt matter?
Not necessarily - if you have higher predicted grades in the first place then other unis will be more likely to accept you in the first place :smile: some unis might do the unconditional if firm if you apply earlier however it can occasionally have negative impacts as well (an oxbridge person in the year above at my school got given an A*A*A* offer instead of typical A*AA-AAA for another uni)

Honestly I just think it's better to apply whenever you're ready :wink:

Edit - this is just my view, not affiliated with any unis in any way :tongue:
(edited 6 years ago)
so when i apply before the deadline doesnt matter?

Not in the slightest - the only thing that matters is making sure you've done good research before applying and have choices you would be happy to go to and a PS that is suitable for your choices.
Reply 16
apply early and you will be competing with people with VERY strong personal statement which are geared towards oxbridge. If your personal statement doesnt match their Personal statement, you will be at a massive disadvantage. It is best to apply late october to early november if you are applying to non oxbridge unviersities.

atleast this is my opinion
Original post by emprex
apply early and you will be competing with people with VERY strong personal statement which are geared towards oxbridge. If your personal statement doesnt match their Personal statement, you will be at a massive disadvantage. It is best to apply late october to early november if you are applying to non oxbridge unviersities.

atleast this is my opinion

Few courses differentiate based on personal statements - and even those that do understand how to manage fair admissions. In some cases that will mean putting marginal applicants on hold until after the January deadline has passed and assessing all applications in a gathered field.

Admissions isn't handled as an exercise of comparing applications against one another - applications are compared against a set of defined criteria.
Reply 18
Original post by PQ
Few courses differentiate based on personal statements - and even those that do understand how to manage fair admissions. In some cases that will mean putting marginal applicants on hold until after the January deadline has passed and assessing all applications in a gathered field.

Admissions isn't handled as an exercise of comparing applications against one another - applications are compared against a set of defined criteria.

"Some" universities do that.

Most start handing out offers wayyyy before january
Original post by emprex
"Some" universities do that.

Most start handing out offers wayyyy before january

And those universities/courses are comparing applications to a fixed set of criteria that doesn’t change whether an application arrives in September or January 15

Quick Reply

Latest