The Student Room Group

School inspectors to question Muslim girls who wear hijabs

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by GreenBell
the fact that it's a woman who's the founder of the first ever university is even more astonishing.
In the context of an Islamic society, it is indeed astonishing - considering that women aren't even allowed to lead prayers, or even sit at the front!

Do you have any examples of such achievements after the "Golden Age" (inspired by the cultures absorbed by the expanding Islamic empire) had been ousted by theological literalism?
Definitely.

I don't deny that many centuries ago Islam led the world intellectually, and indeed specifically mentioned it, myself, in an earlier post.

But we don't live in that age. Today all Muslim States are either politically unfree, or downright dictatorships. Uprooted Muslims can't assimilate in the West and scream "God is great" as they slash the throats of disbelievers on the streets of London.

And the only new thing coming out of the religion is the "Islamic State" a throwback to the earliest days of the faith, in the time of Mohammed, when it was spread by the sword and sex slavery.
Original post by generallee
That is not, and has never been a proper university. It is just a jumped up Madrassa, all the students learn about, pretty much, is the Koran and Islamic Law. The first universities in a meaningful sense were in Bologna and Paris. True, they focused on Christian theology in the early days, but have branched out somewhat since. Theology has all but disappeared as a subject in western universities.

You don't get Nobel prizes in the sciences for memorising the Koran, or studying the Bible. That doesn't advance human knowledge, contribute to human progress. Give anything to the world, intellectually, it is a sterile backwater that leads nowhere.

Do you know how many Muslim Nobel laureates there have been, out of interest? I suggest you look it up.

And then asks yourself why if there are two billion Muslims in the word, as you guys constantly claim, one small Cambridge College, Trinity, has won more Nobel prizes than the whole of the Islamic world?

What are you on about? Muslims introduced many maths topics like Algebra and Pythagoras theorem etc... The first university Al-Qarawiyyin did'nt just study Islamic Law and the Qur'an, but also non-Islamic subjects like English and French and Maths and science, the Muslim students there graduated with high diplomas and University-level bachelor's degrees. And if your talking about Cambridge College, Trinity and why you think they have won more Noble prizes than the Muslim world, firstly that's not true secondly studying in Muslim Arab countries and even the other Muslim countries like Pakistan it is totally different from studying in European countries because its sooooo much harder. in Iraq the level of year 5 student's work is equivalent to a GCSE students work. When i was there a few years ago I went to school there for a few months. We studied work that here in England we would study it in Year 10. But in Iraq mostly everyone passed the work, that is equivalent to GCSE here, because we are very clever and so are other Muslim countries. I'm not saying European countries aren't clever of course they are clever I'm just saying that in Islamic countries in school and universities they don't just study Qur'an and Islamic law but they also do other non-Islamic subjects because they are clever enough to know that if they want to get a good job like a doctor they have to study the Sciences English Maths etc..
I don't deny that many centuries ago Islam led the world intellectually, and indeed specifically mentioned it, myself, in an earlier post.

But we don't live in that age. Today all Muslim States are either politically unfree, or downright dictatorships. Uprooted Muslims can't assimilate in the West and scream "God is great" as they slash the throats of disbelievers on the streets of London.

And the only new thing coming out of the religion is the "Islamic State" a throwback to the earliest days of the faith, in the time of Mohammed, when it was spread by the sword and sex slavery.

Okay!
Original post by QE2
In the context of an Islamic society, it is indeed astonishing - considering that women aren't even allowed to lead prayers, or even sit at the front!

Do you have any examples of such achievements after the "Golden Age" (inspired by the cultures absorbed by the expanding Islamic empire) had been ousted by theological literalism?

With all respect I do not allow you to speak about my beautiful religion like that. What are you on about saying that women aren't allowed to lead prayers or even allowed to sit at the front. So what? it has nothing to do with you it's not your religion so STOP involving yourself with MY religion and stop speaking like you know everything because you don't. Just focus on your religion and improve yourself before speaking about another religion like God says in the Qur'an for advice for the Muslims to say "For you is your religion and for me is my religion" so please stop talking about my religion in this way I don't like it and no Muslim would like it.
Original post by QE2
Nonsense!
Are you seriously claiming that there were no centres of dedicated learning, anywhere in the world, before the middle of the 9th century? Are you high?

According to UNESCO and Guinness World Records it is. I guess you're not as professional as you used to be with your 'evidence'.

Original post by QE2

Very astonishing! I'm glad we agree since women at that time couldn't even vote and get involved in politics (unlike Islam that gave women that right), but like you said leading a prayer and sitting in front does sound more important I guess. :u:

Original post by QE2

Why don't you give me an examples of females in that time who did open a university.

Also look up Queen Rania of Jordan.
Original post by Kim Woo-bin
What are you on about? Muslims introduced many maths topics like Algebra and Pythagoras theorem etc... The first university Al-Qarawiyyin did'nt just study Islamic Law and the Qur'an, but also non-Islamic subjects like English and French and Maths and science, the Muslim students there graduated with high diplomas and University-level bachelor's degrees. And if your talking about Cambridge College, Trinity and why you think they have won more Noble prizes than the Muslim world, firstly that's not true secondly studying in Muslim Arab countries and even the other Muslim countries like Pakistan it is totally different from studying in European countries because its sooooo much harder. in Iraq the level of year 5 student's work is equivalent to a GCSE students work. When i was there a few years ago I went to school there for a few months. We studied work that here in England we would study it in Year 10. But in Iraq mostly everyone passed the work, that is equivalent to GCSE here, because we are very clever and so are other Muslim countries. I'm not saying European countries aren't clever of course they are clever I'm just saying that in Islamic countries in school and universities they don't just study Qur'an and Islamic law but they also do other non-Islamic subjects because they are clever enough to know that if they want to get a good job like a doctor they have to study the Sciences English Maths etc..

Yes it is.

https://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/alumni/famous-trinity-alumni/nobel-laureates/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Muslim_Nobel_laureates
Reply 67
With all respect I do not allow you to speak about my beautiful religion like that.
Fortunately, that is not your decision.

What are you on about saying that women aren't allowed to lead prayers or even allowed to sit at the front.
Didn't you know that women are not allowed to lead prayers or sit at the front of the masjid?

Exactly! How can a religion that promotes gender discrimination be described as "beautiful"?

like God says in the Qur'an for advice for the Muslims to say "For you is your religion and for me is my religion"
That verse was revealed as a rejection of other religions, not an acceptance!
The rulers of Mecca had become unhappy with Muhammad's continuous blasphemy and attacks on their gods, so they offered him a deal whereby everyone in Mecca would practice Islam for one year and the pagan religion the next, and so on, alternating each year. Muhammad rejected this compromise.

so please stop talking about my religion in this way I don't like it and no Muslim would like it.
What you like or dislike is irrelevant here. This is a public debate forum. If you disagree with what I say, present an opposing argument.
Reply 68
According to UNESCO and Guinness World Records it is. I guess you're not as professional as you used to be with your 'evidence'.
Oh dear.
From the Guinness site...

The oldest existing, and continually operating educational institution in the world is the University of Karueein...
The Sumerians had scribal schools or É-Dub-ba soon after 3500BC.

I really shouldn't get so much pleasure from things like this, but when people gloat about their own ignorance, I just can't help myself!

Very astonishing! I'm glad we agree since women at that time couldn't even vote and get involved in politics (unlike Islam that gave women that right), but like you said leading a prayer and sitting in front does sound more important I guess. :u:
Are you claiming that there were no women leaders or in positions of power before Islam?

And kindly quote the ayah or hadith where women are allowed to vote.

Why don't you give me an examples of females in that time who did open a university.
So does that mean that you can't provide any examples of women with power and autonomy after the Golden Age? (I am not saying there aren't any - there might be, I haven't looked. )

Also look up Queen Rania of Jordan.
I am aware of her. What was your point?
Reply 69
What are you on about? Muslims introduced many maths topics like Algebra and Pythagoras theorem etc... This is priceless!
Pythagoras was a Greek philosopher who lived 1000 years before Islam was invented!

This has to rival "the sun is Muslim" as one of the most ridiculous Islamic claims made on here!

The first university Al-Qarawiyyin did'nt just study Islamic Law and the Qur'an, but also non-Islamic subjects like English and French
So a madrassa in 9th century Morocco taught English? Evidence for this please.

And if your talking about Cambridge College, Trinity and why you think they have won more Noble prizes than the Muslim world, firstly that's not true
Yes it is.
Trinity College Cambridge has 32 Nobel winners (30 in the sciences)
There are a total of 12 Muslim Nobel winners (3 in the sciences).

secondly studying in Muslim Arab countries and even the other Muslim countries like Pakistan it is totally different from studying in European countries because its sooooo much harder. in Iraq the level of year 5 student's work is equivalent to a GCSE students work. When i was there a few years ago I went to school there for a few months. We studied work that here in England we would study it in Year 10. But in Iraq mostly everyone passed the work, that is equivalent to GCSE here, because we are very clever and so are other Muslim countries.
If education levels in Muslim countries are so far ahead of those in the "west" (which they aren't), then we would expect to see more Muslims winning Nobel prizes. But we don't.
Original post by QE2
Oh dear.
From the Guinness site...

The oldest existing, and continually operating educational institution in the world is the University of Karueein...
The Sumerians had scribal schools or É-Dub-ba soon after 3500BC.

I really shouldn't get so much pleasure from things like this, but when people gloat about their own ignorance, I just can't help myself!

Are you claiming that there were no women leaders or in positions of power before Islam?

And kindly quote the ayah or hadith where women are allowed to vote.

So does that mean that you can't provide any examples of women with power and autonomy after the Golden Age? (I am not saying there aren't any - there might be, I haven't looked. )

I am aware of her. What was your point?

Ergh I haven’t read anything here worth replying to. If you want to know the verses, women in charge etc go search it up and let me know instead of telling me to look for it.
With all respect I do not allow you to speak about my beautiful religion like that.

How dare he speak about your "beautiful" religion like that? You "will not allow it"??

The person you are addressing is an apostate. According to the scriptures of your "beautiful" religion that is ipso facto (and de jure) a sin and a crime.

It has historically been considered punishable by death. Even "modern" Islamic jurists consider that appropriate, perhaps even a majority of them.

Could you please explain what is "beautiful" about that?

The person who should not be allowed to express an opinion is you. If you express what your religion obligates you to do you would be guilty of a hate crime. And incitement to murder.

Beautiful??? Don't make me laugh.
(edited 6 years ago)
Okay!

I presume that is meant to be sardonic.

What bits don't you agree with? The political backwardness of Muslim majority countries, or the Allah Akbar throat cutting in countries where they form a minority?

Or both?
Reply 73
Ergh I haven’t read anything here worth replying to.
Standard apologist's excuse #2

If you want to know the verses, women in charge etc go search it up
Standard apologist's excuse #3

Should I expect accusations of ignorance (#4), Islamophobia (#5), context (#1), and not knowing Arabic (#6) next?
Original post by QE2
Standard apologist's excuse #2

I think this is the perfect example of a 'standard apologist excuse' from someone. For someone who goes around saying things like that you should really look at your comments first. I asked you a question and you answered the same thing. -_-

Original post by QE2

I presume that is meant to be sardonic.

What bits don't you agree with? The political backwardness of Muslim majority countries, or the Allah Akbar throat cutting in countries where they form a minority?

Or both?

I'm not really bothered of what those people do. I'm not from a Muslim country so for me I don't really care about their political views. Most Muslim countries don't even follow the Islamic political views and they usually make up what they think is right so there's nothing Islamic about it. It's just a country with politics.

Also my okay wasn't sarcastic at all. I thought we ended the conversation but I guess not.
Original post by QE2

If education levels in Muslim countries are so far ahead of those in the "west" (which they aren't), then we would expect to see more Muslims winning Nobel prizes. But we don't.

Who decided who will get a nobel prize? Where is it located also?
Original post by QE2

Sorry - were you talking about Islam or Catholicism, Judaism or even some parts of Anglicism when you were talking about the male dominance in the world's major religions?

Or perhaps you were making reference to the lack of women in senior positions of the UKs FTSE 100 companies? Or the gender pay gap in this country?

It's all so confusing - I wasn't sure just exactly what point you were trying to make.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ByEeek
Sorry - were you talking about Islam or Catholicism, Judaism or even some parts of Anglicism when you were talking about the male dominance in the world's major religions?

There are female Bishops in the Church of England! BISHOPS.

The parts of the Anglican Communion which most vehemently oppose female ordination (let alone Bishops) are in Africa. How dare you criticise that?

You racy racy racist. Shame on you. :biggrin:
Reply 79
Original post by ByEeek

Or perhaps you were making reference to the lack of women in senior positions of the UKs FTSE 100 companies? Or the gender pay gap in this country?

It's all so confusing - I wasn't sure just exactly what point you were trying to make.
Oh, so because othwer organisations are gender discriminatory, that makes Islam OK.

Remember that according to Islam; Catholicism, Judaism, Anglicanism, or the companies in the FTSE100 are noy the perfect guide for all humanity.

Whataboutery is never a good argument.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending