The Student Room Group

Extra Curricular ideas

I need to do quite a lot of extracurricular activities and i can't think of many. I am doing DofE and i need more ideas... Can anybody give any? Thanks in advance! x
Original post by Taz554:-)
I need to do quite a lot of extracurricular activities and i can't think of many. I am doing DofE and i need more ideas... Can anybody give any? Thanks in advance! x

What do you enjoy? See if your school/college offers anything relating to that.

Also, why do you need to do all these activities? Universities don't pay much attention to extra-curriculars which are irrelevant to your course.
What are you applying for? If it's science then some competitions will be enough. For other humanities course, try debate competitions or MUN. Volunteering work, as said, of little interest.
Reply 3
Original post by TheMindGarage
What do you enjoy? See if your school/college offers anything relating to that.

Also, why do you need to do all these activities? Universities don't pay much attention to extra-curriculars which are irrelevant to your course.

I want to do medicine and according to my school without this i am screwed!! I enjoy things to do with outdoor or volunteering activities. I am applying to volunteer in my nearby Children's Hospital and i don't think my school offers anything. Thank you for replying x
Reply 4
Original post by Arctic Kitten
What are you applying for? If it's science then some competitions will be enough. For other humanities course, try debate competitions or MUN. Volunteering work, as said, of little interest.

I want to do medicine and yeah science is really competitive and there are people with WAY more extra-curricular activities and i probably have the least out of the crop!! Thanks for replying! x
If you're in year 12 there's lots you can apply for. There's something called a Nuffield research placement which allows you to do a research project in a professional environment for 4-6 weeks over the summer. I recently completed one at Manchester university. Google Nuffield research placement and you can find all you need to know.

You can also apply for lots of different summer schools, completely free, even my transport was payed for. I went on a Sutton Trust one and it was amazing. You get the opportunity to attend lectures which look great on a personal statement. I now have a guaranted lower offer from Bristol University as a result. I also went on Oxford Pathways events. I know a few people who went to UNIQ at Oxford too.

Apart from that I'd recommend doing wider reading around your subject and an EPQ if possible. I did the MOG (Maths for Girls Olympiad) but there are plenty of others too.
Reply 6
Original post by kibi.coco
If you're in year 12 there's lots you can apply for. There's something called a Nuffield research placement which allows you to do a research project in a professional environment for 4-6 weeks over the summer. I recently completed one at Manchester university. Google Nuffield research placement and you can find all you need to know.

You can also apply for lots of different summer schools, completely free, even my transport was payed for. I went on a Sutton Trust one and it was amazing. You get the opportunity to attend lectures which look great on a personal statement. I now have a guaranted lower offer from Bristol University as a result. I also went on Oxford Pathways events. I know a few people who went to UNIQ at Oxford too.

Apart from that I'd recommend doing wider reading around your subject and an EPQ if possible. I did the MOG (Maths for Girls Olympiad) but there are plenty of others too.

Thank you so much!! I did not know about the fact that you can do a project placement in yr 12 i thought you could only do it in A2! I also know people who have gone to UNIQ and apparently it gives you a taste of Uni Life! I think there is an EPQ where i am at and more research would help a lot 2. THANKS!!
I just joined St. John ambulance cadets and I love it! I’ve only been going a couple of weeks so I can’t give you too much information but it’s definitely worth looking into and would look great if you want to do medicine!
Original post by Taz554:-)
I want to do medicine and according to my school without this i am screwed!! I enjoy things to do with outdoor or volunteering activities. I am applying to volunteer in my nearby Children's Hospital and i don't think my school offers anything. Thank you for replying x

Well, do relevant stuff only. Volunteering or work experience that relates to medicine is great. Random stuff like DofE is useless unless you can relate it to your course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending