The Student Room Group

Laptop for Uni

I’m looking for a somewhat lightweight and affordable laptop for uni. Budget is £500. Any help is appreciated! :smile:
toshiba?
I just hit myself up with a HP Stream recently. It has been working really well for me so far and is a good size when lugging it around at 14", because I travel in and out of the local city quite frequently for the library. However, its cons are also its pros for me: essentially, it barely manages anything besides the internet and my Microsoft programs, so it really keeps me on track because I can't piss about on my Steam games (although Terraria and Stardew Valley work perfectly for me) or anything else. In addition to that, it has a good screen, comes with a one year free Microsoft Office: Personal membership, decent speakers and is only £179 at the moment. However, I say this as someone with a backup laptop for my games, Discord, Photoshop, and heavier programs. It all depends on what programs you are using the laptop for at University.

Are you using it solely for Microsoft Office or similar programs? Do you need it to manage games as a past time? Etc?
Reply 3
Complete maximum is £500 (sorry should have said)

I’d use it for writing essays etc. I’m planning on taking psychology so all I really need is a reliable laptop that I can have Microsoft word etc. I wouldn’t need to demand much from a laptop. :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
I have a Dell Inspiron 13 5000 series. Got it for around £500 a few months ago but it was on sale and my brother got some extra discount because he works there. Not sure what it costs full price around £600 I think. Very good little laptop. It has a 13.3 inch screen, is very light, touch screen, intel core i5, 8GB RAM, 258GB storage, it can fold back the screen 180 degrees and turn it into a tablet, HDMI port, 1080p screen and a backlit keyboard that is nice to type on. The only downside is that it's battery can run down fairly fast when you watch videos on it but it charges up very fast too so it kind of balances out. Would definitely recommend this laptop for Uni it's fast, light and has everything you could possibly need. If you have a look now you might actually be able to get it cheap with all the black friday sales on.

EDIT: I got it from Currys PC World btw
(edited 6 years ago)
If all you want it for is work and you don't need to install programs that only run on Windows/Mac, you could get a Chromebook - it comes with the Google version of Microsoft Office which I can highly recommend.
That's kind of a low-end computer, try and get a computer with an i5 processor and sacrifice some storage.

If you can survive on 128GB, this will be a much faster laptop: https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-14-bp069sa-14-laptop-black-10169033-pdt.html
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Unknown-99
I have a Dell Inspiron 13 5000 series. Got it for around £500 a few months ago but it was on sale and my brother got some extra discount because he works there. Not sure what it costs full price around £600 I think. Very good little laptop. It has a 13.3 inch screen, is very light, touch screen, intel core i5, it can fold back the screen 180 degrees and turn it into a tablet, HDMI port, 1080p screen and a backlit keyboard that is nice to type on. The only downside is that it's battery can run down fairly fast when you watch videos on it but it charges up very fast too so it kind of balances out. Would definitely recommend this laptop for Uni it's fast, light and has everything you could possibly need. If you have a look now you might actually be able to get it cheap with all the black friday sales on.

EDIT: I got it from Currys PC World btw

Thank you so much for your help!
Reply 8
Thank you for your help and linking a laptop! :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by HoldThisL
That's kind of a low-end computer, try and get a computer with an i5 processor and sacrifice some storage.

If you can survive on 128GB, this will be a much faster laptop: https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-14-bp069sa-14-laptop-black-10169033-pdt.html

Super helpful! Thank you so much :smile:
Original post by lclwsr
Thank you so much for your help!

No problem. It's also worth noting the one I have has 8GB RAM and 258GB storage so all round very good specs for a reasonable price.
I use a lenovo yoga 700. m3 1.2gb maxed with 8gb RAM 128 SSD 4k screen and a touchscreen. Useful for studying, not so much for gaming which is good but if you want one for gaming i suggest forking more money out fore the one with the m7 processor. Either way it runs windows
10 standard and is great for a levels and weight
Reply 12
MacBook pro
https://www.ebuyer.com/805720-hp-250-g6-i5-laptop-2sy46es-2sy46es-abu

This is probably the best value one I could find.

i5 7200U
8GB DDR4 RAM
256GB SSD

The SSD is the main factor of a laptop at this price in my opinion. If you are just needing something for Word Processing then 128GB (This particular model has 256GB which I thought was pretty good).

The CPU isn't greatly important for your work but it should keep the laptop snappy for longer.

8GB of RAM is overkill now but future proof for the coming years assuming you are just using it for basic web surfing, documents etc...
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending