The Student Room Group

Landlord ****ing me over

So i'm having trouble with my landlord. I moved into this flat the beginning of August and that same day noticed that one of the panes of glass in the windows was missing - as in it was double glazed but is now single glazed. I immediately notified the letting agency who said they thought that problem had been fixed (never checked) and they'd speak to the landlord right away. It is now November, the window has not been fixed despite me chasing them with emails and phone calls. I rang about 2 weeks ago and the letting agency do what they usually do, talking **** about how hes speaking to building management or getting a price on a cherry picker (8th floor). They said they'd call me back in a minute with an update. So, they called back and basically said the landlord isn't fixing the window any time soon as it is too expensive and is not a problem for me. Bare in mind, there is broken glass around the edge of the window, my bills are higher because of heat escaping and the noise is awful of a morning. I said right well ill speak to you in the coming weeks to discuss a rent reduction or possibly ending the tenancy. What rights do I have as the tenant. I have never withheld rent, and the window was not mentioned in the listing on the internet, the tenancy agreement OR the inventory. I also mentioned it to the concierge in passing and he said its been like that since 2014. The landlord has just been wasting my time rather than just saying in August i am not going to fix this and reducing my rent.
Reply 1
I wouldnt agree seen as the price i am paying is very high and it wasn't mentioned anywhere before we moved in. Is that not a clear indication that the price does NOT reflect the smashed glass?

Do I have grounds to withhold rent for the purposes of the repair if the landlord does not plan to pay for it himself? If not, what is a reasonable amount of rent to deduct? The fact is i am asking here rather than paying for professional help because its not something that warrants it. The advice here is helpful.
Roll of sellotape and a sheet of plastic and or bubble wrap.
Original post by nathan0709
I wouldnt agree seen as the price i am paying is very high and it wasn't mentioned anywhere before we moved in. Is that not a clear indication that the price does NOT reflect the smashed glass?

Do I have grounds to withhold rent for the purposes of the repair if the landlord does not plan to pay for it himself? If not, what is a reasonable amount of rent to deduct? The fact is i am asking here rather than paying for professional help because its not something that warrants it. The advice here is helpful.

unless your contract states all windows are double glazed your landlord is not obliged to provide double glazed windows... you can argue whatever you like about the amount of rent, the landlord can charge £500 per week for a terrible single room bedsit if they want, you agreed to that price and if you did so you can't later say 'the flat isn't good enough make it better to reflect the price'.

You can complain about the smashed glass as it's potentially dangerous but the window itself is not an issue

If you withhold rent the landlord will win any legal case... you can only withhold rent when the contract is being broken and you ahve an unlivable flat and you have exhausted all options

if you're not happy you should just give notice and move out
Reply 4
The loo used to freeze up in our student house, this sounds like luxury.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending